What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You're not wrong. The rarity of it is truly astonishing. Nevertheless, it is still a little concerning. I'd be curious to know the frequency of non-destructive testing on some of the ride's parts. Some safety critical components are NDTed every season on some rides.
Oh I shouldn't have come across as brushing this off as no big deal, just interesting to think about the prevalence of it all things considered.

I wonder if/who would drive NDT requirements - the park, the chain, the state/country/authorities, the manufacturer. Not something I've ever really heard much about after all these years doing this.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Oh I shouldn't have come across as brushing this off as no big deal, just interesting to think about the prevalence of it all things considered.

I wonder if/who would drive NDT requirements - the park, the chain, the state/country/authorities, the manufacturer. Not something I've ever really heard much about after all these years doing this.
It's determined by the manufacturers with further guidance/requirements by the industry standards that are adopted by the government of a specific country, region or state.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's determined by the manufacturers with further guidance/requirements by the industry standards that are adopted by the government of a specific country, region or state.
Today I learned. Thanks. :)

Indy

Hyper Poster
Today I learned. Thanks. :)
No problem! And to provide some unsolicited elaboration and clarification, the standards themselves are developed by the manufacturers, parks, and various industry constituents. So, the parks theoretically have a say in the matter to a certain degree. However, at a minimum, they will always lean on what the manufacturer tells them to do, which is partially driven by the industry standards adopted by the area where the park is located.

OK, I'm done. That's all. 😬

RcTmix

Mega Poster
That’s a real shame. Got a couple rides on the Bat last week and was reminded what a fun ride this is. Hopefully they get it back in working order soon.

@Nitefly, when are you planning to be there?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
After the news about CGA closing in the future, it has also come to light Cedar Fair is done with Gilroy Gardens:-

Gilroy what, now?

I'd fully believe that some Cedar Fair executive found the deed for that park at the bottom of a drawer when looking for some documents for the CGA sale, realised "Hey, do we own three parks in California?!?", and decided to sell it before they forgot it once more. It's not among the parks that received the most attention from the parent company, to put it like that.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
The average pint cost in London is approaching 8 quid too. The general rule these days seems to be within the M25 = rip off expensive.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
This one in particular is hilarious:
Screenshot 2022-06-30 at 15-44-26 Four new coaster models from Jinma Rides.png

1656624432423.png

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I really don't get Jinma Rides. They've been in the game for so long. The principles of making smooth and exciting coasters are hadly state secrets. They've had so much times to learn the ropes and find their own style.

And yet their style is invariably "some other manufacturer on a bad day". It's B&M, but with bad track profiling. Vekoma, but with uninspired layouts. Intamin, but hungover. I have yet to be made aware of any of their coasters that looks like their own distinct, and good, product. I know the term "knock-off" is taking it too far, as they do make their own designs and there are other manufacturers whose coasters resemble somebody else's to the same degree or more, but Jinma coasters usually end up reminding you of a sub-par, slightly "off" version of something you've seen before. And I don't really see any good reasons why it is like that.