What's new

Six Flags Qiddiya| Saudi Arabia | Theme Park

Tasman83

Roller Poster
Ahh, that makes sense. Will be an interesting sensation having the booster at the end of such a massive drop, in an S&S Shot Tower kind of sensation.

As the stats have changed (we're now at a reported 607 ft. height, down from 639 ft.), trying to keep up with other design tweaks.

giphy.gif
Hey Hyde, could you separate the Falcon topics to an own thread under rc construction? 🙏🏼

Bentleya

Mega Poster
I've got my big mug ready to catch all the thoosie tears when we see the first trims on the toparchhat
Anyone who is naive to think this won’t be trimmed at various points to control the pace is just looking with blinkers on surly?

A ride of this magnitude will have control measures throughout.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
According to Themepark Worldwide, the wheels have a diameter of 16" (40.6cm), and the second "launch" (the straight to get up the quarry wall) has a speed of ~100mph (160 km/h). I found no source to confirm this, though, so please take this with a grain of salt. Allthough I don't feel like Shawn would invent some details just to increase coverage.
This was said by Daniel Schoppen from Intamin during the unveil; video here.

Holy crap, I didn't realize that. How tall is Falcon's arch?
According to a big engineering planning document/tender, the freestanding arch should be 531ft.

Trax

Hyper Poster
This was said by Daniel Schoppen from Intamin during the unveil; video here.
Awesome, thank you!

For comparison: A Mack Mega running wheel (and I guess it is similar for Intamin Blitz) has 34cm diameter (12.5“). So we are talking about roughly 20% increase in diameter.

I am still really interested in how this performs. Formula Rossa trims you down to 100mph right after the launch, and it’s wheels are water cooled afterwards to prevent overheating. This ride will not trim after going over 150mph, and has a considerable amount of layout afterwards. Taron hat some heat issues with its wheel in its early days, and that ride doesn’t hit >61mph (100km/h) once the second launch is passed; Falcons flight is not only going over twice as fast, it is in the desert.
Doesn’t mean that it’s impossible, but it definitely poses a challenge for the engineers to tackle.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Awesome, thank you!

For comparison: A Mack Mega running wheel (and I guess it is similar for Intamin Blitz) has 34cm diameter (12.5“). So we are talking about roughly 20% increase in diameter.

I am still really interested in how this performs. Formula Rossa trims you down to 100mph right after the launch, and it’s wheels are water cooled afterwards to prevent overheating. This ride will not trim after going over 150mph, and has a considerable amount of layout afterwards. Taron hat some heat issues with its wheel in its early days, and that ride doesn’t hit >61mph (100km/h) once the second launch is passed; Falcons flight is not only going over twice as fast, it is in the desert.
Doesn’t mean that it’s impossible, but it definitely poses a challenge for the engineers to tackle.
Indeed, the test will be where the rubber meets the road (or track). Formula Rossa operates on the "older" spec, cast steel wheels (photo below), with the new blade design opening up a massive amount of surface area for cooling.

1758-formula-rossa.jpg

If anything, it will be curious to see if there is any noticeable operational difference between Intamin's blade design and the hole-punch Zamperla wheels going on TT2 (which are larger, and could provide for even more theoretical cooling).

JackFish

Mega Poster
Indeed, the test will be where the rubber meets the road (or track). Formula Rossa operates on the "older" spec, cast steel wheels (photo below), with the new blade design opening up a massive amount of surface area for cooling.

1758-formula-rossa.jpg

If anything, it will be curious to see if there is any noticeable operational difference between Intamin's blade design and the hole-punch Zamperla wheels going on TT2 (which are larger, and could provide for even more theoretical cooling).
I see the overheating issue is a big design challenge, but what about the sand? 157 MPH sand to the face doesn't sound fun. I know it has windscreens, but it is still possible for sand to go around, and any breeze lifts thousands of grains up into the air.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I see the overheating issue is a big design challenge, but what about the sand? 157 MPH sand to the face doesn't sound fun. I know it has windscreens, but it is still possible for sand to go around, and any breeze lifts thousands of grains up into the air.
If the windshield is satisfactory for the government of Saudi Arabia (I've done work in the Middle East with governments and emphasize the MASSIVE bureaucracy/conservative nature on signing off on big projects until all details are accounted for), I would have high confidence on the windscreen doing the job of goggles. From my time in Abu Dhabi/visiting Ferrari World, there also really wasn't any sand being kicked up while riding Formula Rossa/GT Challenge (I know it's easy to picture the roving dunes of Alladin when you think "sand in the Middle East"), or at least no more threat than bugs hitting you while riding roller coasters back home. 😅

JackFish

Mega Poster
If the windshield is satisfactory for the government of Saudi Arabia (I've done work in the Middle East with governments and emphasize the MASSIVE bureaucracy/conservative nature on signing off on big projects until all details are accounted for), I would have high confidence on the windscreen doing the job of goggles. From my time in Abu Dhabi/visiting Ferrari World, there also really wasn't any sand being kicked up while riding Formula Rossa/GT Challenge (I know it's easy to picture the roving dunes of Alladin when you think "sand in the Middle East"), or at least no more threat than bugs hitting you while riding roller coasters back home. 😅
It makes sense, however, I can see something going horribly wrong, having a freak accident and having to either close or redesign trains or goggles.

JackFish

Mega Poster
Nonsense! Intamin has never had issue with freak accidents/things flying off of/into coaster trains! 😅
No, that would never happen, would it? ;) But seriously, with their track record of parts flying off coasters, and if something breaks, it's down for months, and just their overall maintenance headache I can very well see something happening and them having to redo the whole ride the vehicles, like Top Thrill 2 or what they had to do with Superman the Ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
No, that would never happen, would it? ;) But seriously, with their track record of parts flying off coasters, and if something breaks, it's down for months, and just their overall maintenance headache I can very well see something happening and them having to redo the whole ride the vehicles, like Top Thrill 2 or what they had to do with Superman the Ride.
At the same time though, others of their coasters have remained in perfectly ok operational shape - most of which Flying Aces and Formula Rossa operating in similar circumstance. In a weird odds-on bet, I would put money on Falcon's Flight being more ok on the maintenance and operations front, as the money remains no obstacle for Six Flags Qiddiya. If there's any park that can pull this off, it's one that is completely backed by a national public investment fund. The Saudi Arabian government has no shareholders to report to nor public pressures of perceived cost, and in turn would see the sunk cost of upkeep/maintenance in a different light than "how will this affect profit?"

The list goes on for all the reason this coaster would be a market and commercial failure. And yet, here we are. 😅

JackFish

Mega Poster
At the same time though, others of their coasters have remained in perfectly ok operational shape - most of which Flying Aces and Formula Rossa operating in similar circumstance. In a weird odds-on bet, I would put money on Falcon's Flight being more ok on the maintenance and operations front, as the money remains no obstacle for Six Flags Qiddiya. If there's any park that can pull this off, it's one that is completely backed by a national public investment fund. The Saudi Arabian government has no shareholders to report to nor public pressures of perceived cost, and in turn would see the sunk cost of upkeep/maintenance in a different light than "how will this affect profit?"

The list goes on for all the reason this coaster would be a market and commercial failure. And yet, here we are. 😅
I guess we don't know. Just have to wait and see.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Merged the Falcon's Flight thread with the general SFQ thread - we don't need two separate ones to track this park.