What's new

Six Flags closing multiple rides for 2023

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Over the past few days, Mind Eraser was removed from Six Flags America's website...

...Harley Quinn was confirmed dead at SFFT...

...Then the Parachutes at SFGAdv...
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/112lptw
...Then Xcalibur at SFSTL...
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/1128cfv
And now a big list of rides have been confirmed to have been removed from their park's websites!
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/111s2ll
Rides confirmed dead are in bold.

La Ronde: Grand Carousel, Mini Rail, Spirale
Frontier City: Whistlestop Depot, Skycoaster
Six Flags America: All of Coyote Creek and Whistlestop Park including Mind Eraser
Six Flags Darien Lake: Rowdy's Heave Ho
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom: ACME Fun Factory, Seaside Junction as a whole, Elephant Parade, Dare Devil Dive
Six Flags Fiesta Texas: Thunder Beach Speedway
Six Flags Great Adventure: Parachute Training Center - Edwards AFB
Six Flags Magic Mountain: Magic Mover
Six Flags New England: Nightwing
Six Flags Over Georgia: Goldtown Racers
Six Flags Over Texas: Rodeo, Six Flags Railway, Harley Quinn's Spinsanity
Six Flags St. Louis: Dragon's Wing, Grand Ole Carousel, Xcalibur

What the heck?

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Six Flags - just because you announce all the ride openings at the same time doesn't mean you have to do the reverse!

rideguy70

Mega Poster
I'm not 100% sure, but I was just as SFMM this past weekend, and I thought I saw them Magic Mover open. I could be wrong, though. I'll keep an eye out on it on future visits, but I hadn't heard anything.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
See, I have issues with that Reddit post, because only some of it is accurate and some of it is not. To elaborate below from my limited knowledge;

I'm not 100% sure, but I was just as SFMM this past weekend, and I thought I saw them Magic Mover open. I could be wrong, though. I'll keep an eye out on it on future visits, but I hadn't heard anything.
Magic Mover is currently open, there was a Buzzed Bars event at the park this past week and it doesn't seem like they have any plans to remove it. The same goes for Viper, which is also closed atm with a sudden flurry of talk that it's being axed.

Wonder why they closed Spinsanity at SFOT but not Cyborg at SFGAdv?
Both have suffered but SFOT's in particular has been more troublesome, maybe due to the Texas heat. The ride's down more than it's open and even when the park was slammed, they would never be able to fill the ride. Quite literally zero ridership.

Dare Devil Dive at SFDK is listed on the basis that it was put up for sale online in December - have no idea whether it's operational or not rn.

Xcalibur at SFStL is an interesting case. It to has been notoriously troublesome but gets great ridership when it's open. There was talk that they were A) going to make a call on its long-term viability offseason, and B) that a friend at the park was recently trained on the ride for this season. I've not heard a solid consensus on Xcalibur but my best guess is that some quick inspection wielded had results, and that reopening plans may have been disrupted. The Carousel, however, is just finishing up on a two year renovation project, so that won't be going anywhere.

Six Flags America is also a weird one, because both affected parts of the park suddenly closed in August last season over alleged staffing issues. The park has just completed the removal of a very large - and garbage hardware - waterslide complex, with immediate plans for a replacement in 2024. Neither park area is essential to the park's operation but I seriously doubt that they're going to casually axe everything in both zones.

Last edited:

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
See, I have issues with that Reddit post, because only some of it is accurate and some of it is not. To elaborate below from my limited knowledge;

Magic Mover is currently open, there was a Buzzed Bars event at the park this past week and it doesn't seem like they have any plans to remove it. The same goes for Viper, which is also closed atm and there's a sudden flurry of talk that it's being axed.

Both have suffered but SFOT's in particular has been more troublesome, maybe due to the Texas heat. The ride's down more than it's open and even when the park was slammed, they would never be able to fill the ride. Quite literally zero ridership.

Dare Devil Dive at SFDK is listed on the basis that it was put up for sale online in December - have no idea whether it's operational or not rn.

Xcalibur at SFStL is an interesting case. It to has been notoriously troublesome but gets great ridership when it's open. There was talk that they were A) going to make a call on its long-term viability offseason, and B) that a friend at the park was recently trained on the ride for this season. I've not heard a solid consensus on Xcalibur but my best guess is that some quick inspection wielded had results, and that reopening plans may have been disrupted. The Carousel, however, is just finishing up on a two year renovation project, so that won't be going anywhere.

Six Flags America is also a weird one, because both affected parts of the park suddenly closed in August last season over alleged staffing issues. The park has just completed the removal of a very large - and garbage hardware - waterslide complex, with immediate plans for a replacement in 2024. Neither park area is essential to the park's operation but I seriously doubt that they're going to casually axe everything in both zones.
Also if the SFOG go karts are indeed dead and buried then I think we just found out where the dueling Skyline Psghetti is going.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Didn't know the H word in question wasn't allowed...My bad.
There are lots of words that are clearly inappropriate without it needing to be written down as a banned word. I suggest perhaps in future thinking a little more than just bashing out a topic title.

This is the final post on the matter. Please continue the discussion.

Fiender

Roller Poster
Didn't the CEO (or someone at SF) mention they had new ride announcements coming this spring? I wonder if these closures are related, i.e. making room for these new rides. (Physically, and/or budget wise)