What's new

Six Flags 2020 Announcements

Matt N

CF Legend
Yh thanks we all read the post three above yours.
Sorry @Ben... I was more posting because I found it to be an intriguing addition.

Speaking of intriguing additions, I find Six Flags Magic Mountain's 2020 plans somewhat interesting, albeit not too surprising. Maybe West Coast Racers and its issues put the park off investing big for 2020?

Last edited:

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
So all British TV chefs swear and shout? Interesting. BTW I didn't know that Gregg Wallace got a new job!

On a more serious note, its interesting to see Six Flags getting some unusual flat rides.

Finally, whos manufacturing the Boosters?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Apparently Six Flags aren't counting the dive loop on Jersey Devil as an inversion... when it definitely looks like one to me?
Yeah, I wondered this too. I suppose it's the same as how Energylandia say that Hyperion doesn't have an inversion. For what it's worth, RCDB does count the turnaround of Hyperion, but are sticking with Six Flags press release at the moment.

One to ask at an interview, I suppose.

Nice to not see anymore Freespins or Superloops for once! Looks like a good year for SF. Not as good as last year but much better than 2017. Obviously Jersey Devil is the standout coaster and looks incredible! Aquaman: Power Wave also looks decent (I mean who doesn't like Pulsar) even with its one boat service. The flat ride additions for this year look pretty decent too, so I'm not disappointed!

Would have been nice though to see another thrill coaster of some kind even if it was just the likes of a Freespin. Still, the US is getting two new RMCs next year that we know of as of now so you guys should be happy!
In terms of comparing it to a year, I know its better than 2017 but in terms of overall with 4 coasters, couple of flats and waterpark additions, what year can this be compared to or kinda similar to 2020

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm pretty sure the Mack PowerSplash comes with a turntable that allows a 2nd boat to be loaded while the first one is on the track.
It comes with that option but I don't think it has the turn table as the standard model. Looking a the animation again, you can see the station design prevents it from having a turntable, and there is no maintenance bay or second car. It will only have one car. You can see where the air gates are, where the exit and where the queue will be. I highly doubt they would do that just for the animation if they aren't actually doing that. The coaster is already mostly manufactured, so it will be too late to put in a turntable now.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Rather intriguingly, it would also seem that Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is receiving yet another coaster for 2020! It will be some sort of spinning coaster called Sidewinder Safari.
Intrigued? It looks like it's going to be a standard spinning mouse so I think the word you're looking for is either disgusted or embarrassed. Pretty terrible coaster to put in a Six Flags park in the year 2020!

Looks like SF went big with the order from Zamperla this year...

Matt N

CF Legend
Intrigued? It looks like it's going to be a standard spinning mouse so I think the word you're looking for is either disgusted or embarrassed. Pretty terrible coaster to put in a Six Flags park in the year 2020!

Looks like SF went big with the order from Zamperla this year...
It's no different in theory to any other mid-range family spinning coaster, is it? Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the model at all, but all of the ones I've done are quite old and manufactured by Reverchon, so maybe the Zamperla model is more of a crowd-pleaser?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I mean, y'all can be disgusted with a Zamperla spinning mouse (the best type of spinner AND mice varieties, I may add), but it's honestly a unique ride for Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, and California as a whole. The only other spinning coaster and mouse I can think of in California are six hours south at Knott's.

With that being said, I am somewhat surprised to see them building up Discovery Kingdom as much as they are. With this new coaster, they've received a moderately significant attraction (read: not necessarily good though) every year for the past five years, plus a few more notable rides in the couple years prior to that. Although it's certainly a pain in the ass to build in California, it does make sense to bolster the park considering its location in the greater San Fransisco area.

I'm also not surprised to see them continue to bolster Six Flags Mexico's lineup. They've really been on a tear with new additions over the past decade or so, which makes sense to do since the park is located in North America's largest market. Hell, since I was there in 08, they've added five new coasters (including Steel Medusa). That's pretty legit.

I'm intrigued by Aquaman and it is refreshing to see a new ride type added to one of their parks. I'm curious to see if this will act as a pilot for other parks that may be slated to receive one throughout the next decade.

I already shared my thoughts on Jersey Devil yesterday...but other than that...meh. Water slides are cheap additions, and the rest of the flat rides are pretty weak aside from Fiesta Texas' Air Race.

I mean, y'all can be disgusted with a Zamperla spinning mouse (the best type of spinner AND mice varieties, I may add), but it's honestly a unique ride for Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, and California as a whole. The only other spinning coaster and mouse I can think of in California are six hours south at Knott's.

With that being said, I am somewhat surprised to see them building up Discovery Kingdom as much as they are. With this new coaster, they've received a moderately significant attraction (read: not necessarily good though) every year for the past five years, plus a few more notable rides in the couple years prior to that. Although it's certainly a pain in the ass to build in California, it does make sense to bolster the park considering its location in the greater San Fransisco area.

I'm also not surprised to see them continue to bolster Six Flags Mexico's lineup. They've really been on a tear with new additions over the past decade or so, which makes sense to do since the park is located in North America's largest market. Hell, since I was there in 08, they've added five new coasters (including Steel Medusa). That's pretty legit.

I'm intrigued by Aquaman and it is refreshing to see a new ride type added to one of their parks. I'm curious to see if this will act as a pilot for other parks that may be slated to receive one throughout the next decade.

I already shared my thoughts on Jersey Devil yesterday...but other than that...meh. Water slides are cheap additions, and the rest of the flat rides are pretty weak aside from Fiesta Texas' Air Race.
I like the look of the Funtime Vomatron rides at Great Escape and St Louis. Catwoman's Whip is a cloned DC theme but Great Escape has done well adding a decent flat ride

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm just glad to see more PowerSplashes getting built tbh
As in, there is more than one PowerSplash? :p (Checking RCDB, there are two additional coasters under construction in China)

Overall no, this is not the best year of Six Flags attractions ever; but can you blame them for trying to sell it that way?

I still disagree with the chain's overall strategy of "something new at every park, every year." As we've seen, it ultimately leads to upselling lower tier rides as big ticket attractions, which can ultimately dilute the marketing effort on actual, big marque rides (e.g. advertising an egg scrambler and RMC Raptor in the same video).

But hey, at least we are seeing a PowerSplash make landfall in America, and a bigger, better RMC Raptor.