What's new

Shocking First Rides

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - I thought it was just going to be like the RMT at Alton Towers, but it turned out be far more exciting. Loved the unpredictable dips and the abundance of tunnels!

Swarm - I tried to ignore the hype and not expect too much, but the first half of the ride really did leave me breathless. One of the best Zero G rolls I have experienced.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Leap The Dip's - Wasn't expecting to much and thought it would be rather bland. Boy was I wrong. Incredible sense of speed and unexpected airtime. Not to mention every ride is different based on weight distribution.

Skyliner - Don't judge a book by it's cover. Also holy crap airtime.

Yeah. I like Lakemont Park

cp23

Mega Poster
Space Mountain at HK Disney - the effects and on-board sound track lift what would otherwise probably be a rather average coaster (if it were outdoors, sans theming) into an astonishingly good ride. We need more dark coasters in the UK!!

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
Apollo's Chariot- My first 200+ coaster. I haven't ridden it in about ten years, but I remember it being one helluva ride. I need to get back to Busch Gardens to ride it again and see how I like it compared to I305 now. I'm wondering if less angle makes for a better drop on coasters because from what I remember, Apollo's drop seems more intense than I305's, though the intensity of Intimidator puts it right up front with my favorite coasters.

oryp

Roller Poster
El Toro. I knew it would be good, but I didn't realize it would jump straight to the number 1 spot on my top 10 list. The same is true for Maverick, as it unexpectedly went right to my top 3.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I have a long list:

Balder, Liseberg
Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
Tatsu, SFMM
Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Asterix
Stealth, Thorpe Park
Xcelerator, Knotts Berry Farm
Wild Mouse, BPP
Saw: The Ride, Thorpe Park
Dragon Khan, Port Aventura
Furius Baco, Port Aventura
Grand National, BPP
Expedition Everest, DAK Florida
Tower of Terror, DHS Florida
Detonator, Thorpe Park
Hurakan Condor, Port Aventura
Dr Dooms Fear Falls, IOA
Winjas, Phantasialand
Colorado Adventure, Phanatsialand
River Quest, Phantasialand
Shockwave, Drayton Manor
Apocalypse, SFMM
X2, SFMM

These are the ones that come to mind but I am sure there's more. Sometimes I think that the best rides are the ones that blow away and that is often the case for me as my top 3 coasters (EGF, X2, Tatsu) all blew me away on my first rides.

Twister Zone

Roller Poster
The Ultimate, man that thing is savage but looks like a quaint old wooden coaster from a distance.
15c7bk.jpg

Luxornv

Mega Poster
Top Thrill Dragster. It's still the fastest I've been on and had never felt anything accelerate quite that quickly. The first ride is the best though. I still like the ride, but I've never had another ride on it quite like that first. I just had no idea what to expect from it, and the element of surprise made the ride what it was.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
Skyrush - I expected a lot from it, and it blew my expectations out of the water. With the restraints fixed it may have overtaken Voyage.

Voyage - Took my breath away, I did not expect the relentless pace all the way around the ride and so much airtime!

Expedition GeForce - Did not expect the G's to be so strong in the 1st and second valleys, and the airtime was stronger than expected.

Pheonix - First ride on the back was decent, first ride on the front . . . Wow, I'm still amazed at how long you stay in the air.

A few others were:
SAW, Nitro, Phantoms Revenge, Troy, Oblivion, Blue Streak, Leap the Dips, TTD and Millennium Force.

Evilquiz99

Roller Poster
Road Runner Express-Crazy Mine Train
Mission Space-The Forces were amazing
Batman: The Ride/Goliath-^^^^^
All the tube chute rides at Schlitterbahn

SoCalCoaster521

Roller Poster
Timber Terror in the back and Tremors in just about any row. When I first rode those, holy crap, I was not expecting that much ejector air.

BBH

Giga Poster
My first real coaster (as opposed to a mouse) was V2. The launch blew me away, the spikes messed up my brain, and the eddy-current braking was so smooth it was unnoticeable.

lazor22

Roller Poster
I305, Time Machine, Talon, Georgia Scorcher, Alpengeist, Batwing, Comet @ Hershey, Wild One, Superman ROS,

Alot were good but I expected them to be good and a few were pretty big let downs. But these are the ones I didn't think would be all that great but really wowed me (love getting wowed like that more then riding a coaster I'm expecting to be good honestly).

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
cp23 said:
Space Mountain at HK Disney - the effects and on-board sound track lift what would otherwise probably be a rather average coaster (if it were outdoors, sans theming) into an astonishingly good ride. We need more dark coasters in the UK!!

I'll echo this, and modify, slightly.

The remade Space Mountain at Disneyland - the effects and onboard sound track lift what was previously I nice family coaster (which it was and still is) into a far more fun ride. We need more, well choreographed dark coasters with fun music everywhere!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Yay that there's more love for Space Mountain HK. It's such an adorable little ride. The first time I came off with such a huge smile. Perfect music, timing and atmosphere