What's new

Shamu kills trainer at Seaworld Orlando

So here is the latest we have on the incident:
A SeaWorld killer whale snatched a trainer from a poolside platform Wednesday in its jaws and thrashed the woman around underwater, killing her in front of a horrified audience. It marked the third time the animal had been involved in a human death.
Distraught audience members were hustled out of the stadium immediately, and part of the park was closed.
Trainer Dawn Brancheau, 40, was rubbing Tilikum after a noontime show when the 12,000-pound whale grabbed her and pulled her in, said Chuck Tompkins, head of animal training at all SeaWorld parks. Park officials say the veteran trainer drowned.
Audience member Eldon Skaggs said Brancheau's interaction with the whale appeared leisurely and informal at first. But then the whale "pulled her under and started swimming around with her."
Two other witnesses told the Orlando Sentinel that the whale grabbed the woman by the upper arm and tossed her around in its mouth while swimming rapidly around the tank. Brazilian tourist Joao Lucio DeCosta Sobrinho and his girlfriend were at an underwater viewing area when they suddenly saw a whale with a person in its mouth.
The couple said they watched the whale show at the park two days earlier and came back to take pictures. But on Wednesday the whales appeared agitated.
"It was terrible. It's very difficult to see the image," Sobrinho said.
Because of his size and the previous deaths, trainers were not supposed to get into the water with Tilikum, and only about a dozen of the park's 29 trainers worked with him. Brancheau had more experience with the 30-year-old whale than most, and was one of the park's most experienced trainers overall.
"We recognized he was different," Tompkins said. He said no decision has been made yet about what will happen to Tilikum, such as transferring him to another facility.
A SeaWorld spokesman said Tilikum was one of three orcas blamed for killing a trainer in 1991 after the woman lost her balance and fell in the pool at Sealand of the Pacific near Victoria, British Columbia.
Steve Huxter, who was head of Sealand's animal care and training department then, said Wednesday he's surprised it happened again. He says Tilikum was a well-behaved, balanced animal.
Tilikum was also involved in a 1999 death, when the body of a man who had sneaked by SeaWorld security was found draped over him. The man either jumped, fell or was pulled into the frigid water and died of hypothermia, though he was also bruised and scratched by Tilikum.
Later Wednesday, SeaWorld also suspended the killer whale shows at all of its parks, which also include locations in San Diego and San Antonio, to review procedures.
Brancheau was one of SeaWorld Orlando's leading trainers. It was a trip to SeaWorld at age 9 that made her want to follow that career path. Dawn was the youngest of six children who grew up near Cedar Lake, Ind.
Brancheau worked her way into a leadership role at Shamu Stadium during her career with SeaWorld, starting at the Sea Lion & Otter Stadium before spending 10 years working with killer whales.
She also addressed the dangers of the job in a 2006 Orlando Sentinel profile article.
"You can't put yourself in the water unless you trust them and they trust you," Brancheau said.
Brancheau's older sister, Diane Gross, said the trainer wouldn't want anything done to the whale because she loved the animals like children. The trainer was married and didn't have children.
"She loved the whales like her children, she loved all of them," said Gross, of Schererville, Ind. "They all had personalities, good days and bad days."
Gross said the family viewed her sister's death as an unfortunate accident, adding: "It just hasn't sunk in yet."
Steve McCulloch, founder and program manager at the Marine Mammal Research and Conservation Program at Harbor Branch/Florida Atlantic University, said the whale may have been playing, but it is too early to tell.
"I wouldn't jump to conclusions," he said. "These are very large powerful marine mammals. They exhibit this type of behavior in the wild.
Press conference video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5joj49WHAow[/youtube] Whale expert interview:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaH4yPMvXbE[/youtube] Video I took of Tilikum:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnR3uU3oppU[/youtube]

That first viddeo is the one I watched live. Where they say she slipped into a holding tank. Clearly trying to make people believe that this whale wasn't a show whale at all but an isolated animal.

I think the video with the whale specalist guy is silly. Humans are more intelegent than whales, and they go mental and murder people - so why not a whale? Saying the whale must have made a decision to kill her is stupid, imo. I think saying he killed her cuz he doesn't want to perform tricks is a retarded and assumed statement. It sounds like he wasn't being asked to perform at the time, and the whale's aren't forced to perform anyway. If they chose not to continually they'd be taken out of the shows. Not all the whale's become shamus, only the ones that respond to training will be.

It's sad, but I think psychoanalysing this whale is stupid. Just stop using it as a ****ing performing whale if you have ANY doubt about it's safety with humans. It's been involved in at least one prior death, so it SHOULD NOT have been a perfomance whale.

I have tbh when we went to Sea World we did not enjoy the whale show for what some people might think is a silly reason.

A female whale had a baby, but in order for the female to take part in the show the baby whale was taken into the main show tank with her. Whilst the mother was doing the show some keepers tried to keep the baby whale entertained. Sorry but I do not think this is right at all, if the baby still needs its mother the mother should not be in the show.

I know that was a bit off topic.

Anyway as I have said these are wild animals and no mater how people try and tame them there is always a chance they will snap, just like pet cats and dogs do and as Joey said humans as well.

The problem is we think we are so clever and understand everything, what the animal is thinking etc. We really know bugger all other than these are clever whales that will jump and splash for food.

Yes it is not good what happened and I feel for the person family but she died doing something she loved and would probably not want the whale put down or anything like that.

Statement from Seaworld:

A Message from Jim Atchison
President and Chief Executive Officer, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment

It is with great sadness that I report that one of our most experienced animal trainers drowned in an incident with one of our killer whales this afternoon, February 24, 2010 at our SeaWorld Orlando park.

We have initiated an investigation to determine, to the extent possible, what occurred. There are no other details to share at this point, but we will make our findings known in due course.

I must emphasize that this is an extraordinarily difficult time for the SeaWorld parks, and our team members.

Nothing is more important than the safety of our employees, guests and the animals entrusted to our care. All of our standard operating procedures will come under review as part of the investigation.

We extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the trainer
and will do everything possible to assist them in this difficult time.
We appreciate everyone’s understanding and will share more information as it becomes known and available.

SeaWorld Orlando and SeaWorld San Diego are open today as scheduled (SeaWorld San Antonio is not yet open for the season) but Believe shows and Dine with Shamu experiences at all SeaWorld locations have been suspended for the time being. We will update you on this as soon as we have more information.

I don't think that the whale was actually trying to kill her, like above it's just an animal and can't think rationally. Who knows, he might have just been trying to play or whatever, but of course humans can't play like whales, staying underwater for long periods of time and whatnot.[/i]

Very sad. :(

I read every single newspaper today at work, and every single one said the whale 'attacked the trainer,' and dragged him into the water, then heard the park manager on Radio 1 in the car on the way home reading a statement where he said 'it appears the trainer tripped and fell into the tank.'

I do wonder just how far Seaworlds PR team are going to go to tone the story down as much as possible. AT the same time I guess we can't believe joe blogs account either, so doubt we'll ever know the truth.

I've posted my videos of Believe - the killer whale show at SeaWorld Orlando. These videos feature the trainer & whale involved in the tragic incident. They show the trainer's love for animals she's worked with for the past decade & the major role the killer whale Tilikum plays in the show.
The start of the show
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTnsLybgEbU[/youtube] This part features veteran trainer Dawn Brancheau.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFxZIOLCy-M[/youtube] This part features the killer whale Tilikum.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmhNkRt7YJk[/youtube] The show finale
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8GLnl_V3fM[/youtube]

I'm not a huge PETA activist or anything but I think that animals like Orcas really shouldn't be kept in captivity and made to perform shows. It's slightly sad to see an animal which in the wild is a vicious killing machine made to carry a trainer on it's back and splash people for cheap laughs.

tks said:
I'm not a huge PETA activist or anything but I think that animals like Orcas really shouldn't be kept in captivity and made to perform shows. It's slightly sad to see an animal which in the wild is a vicious killing machine made to carry a trainer on it's back and splash people for cheap laughs.
Cheap laughs?

I think the joy that thousands of people get from those animals every single day outweighs the "they should be in the wild!" argument.

Domestication has to start somewhere. Do you think keeping dogs is wrong?

Seaworld was the first time I'd seen killer whales, manatees, walrus, polar bears and numerous other species. It means a lot to me to be able to see those creatures. Having these animals in captivity raises general interest in wildlife and the public awareness of protecting these animals in the wild.

I bet the whales are perfectly happy. They are intelligent, social creatures and the shows utilize their natural behaviours. They don't know what it feels like to be wild. It's like suggesting that people would be happier "in the wild". It's completely retarded.

The whales, and likely dolphins and sea lions there, sometimes do not want to perform and shows are canceled. They don't force them, they encourage them with rewards. It's no different to training a dog.

Many zoos are indeed horrendous places, but as a whole I think they are important in conservation, education, awareness and just bring pleasure to millions of people.

[/rant]

If ever there was a more condescending post.. UC you speak as if i'm a child and have absolutely no knowledge of this subject. Which is a) insulting, and b) not a suprise since all your posts seem to consist of you talking down at people.

I fully understand that these captive Orcas wouldn't survive if they were released, infact I recall hearing about two that were attempted to be let free. However they wouldn't interact with their own species or bother to hunt because they knew they could get food from us. Keiko also died of severe Pneumonia a year after being lost during acclimatisation "walks".

All of the original Orcas captured in the wild were healthy, lived in pods and were set upon by hunters looking to make money (During these catches it was common for many to die due to stress and mishaps from hunting crews). They later developed conditions brought on by captivity that left them unable to be released. Orcas that are born in captivity suffer a lifespan that is half of what it should be in the wild and conditions like Dorsal Fin collapse and skin lesions are common. Many pregnancies in captive Orcas fail because the mothers aren't mature enough to bear children and the calves struggle to survive once born.

Thankfully Orca captures have mostly stopped, the last one in 2003 off the coast in Russia led to it's death 1 month later in captivity and another Orca died in the process of being captured.

They can't have much of a life swimming around in tanks not much bigger than they are, compared to the vast expanse of oceans they would be used to, and indeed the original captured Orcas were used to. As a small blessing the captive Orca population is slowly decreasing because of international pressure not to capture wild Orcas and the low lifespan/slow reproduction of captive born Orcas.

Joey: Dogs and Cats are small manageable creatures that have been domesticated for thousands of years. Dogs were originally domesticated from wolves and used to drive carts and sleds. Do you want to have an Orca pull a boat along or swim in your garden pond? If you had any sort of real admiration for an animal you'd go and try to watch them in the wild, not performing circus tricks in a bathtub.

I have no issue with anmials being taken into captivity if they are in danger of becoming extinct, although one could argue that natural selection should simply be allowed to take place. As long as the place they are taken to is reminiscent of their natural habitat and provides the freedom they would experience there. I admire places like the national parks in Africa where animals are hopefully kept safe from Poachers and are allowed to live in a large free natural habitat where people can go and observe them and be educated.

Concrete bowls filled with water are not a suitable habitat for a 20ft 6-tonne Orca.

^ Pretty much what I was thinking, but couldn't put it into words.

Thankyou dearest edmund.

I agree with some of what you say, Ed, but not all.

Is a horse a "manageable animal" then? Here's an animal that's domestication and later accidental release has caused sevear damage to the world, particually Australia. Are we could to argue that because of the damage wild horses have done to Australia's fauna and flora, that the horse should have never been domesticated?

You can't see orcas in the ****ing wild. Because they live UNDER THE WATER. This is why aquariums are as popular as they are. Most people can not afford to see animals in the wild. And most people don't CARE about animals unless they are brought to them. Zoos make people care. directly or indirectly. YOU indirectly care, because of zoos.

Some animals clearly do not do well in zoos - orcas are NOT one of those animals. They thrive from human relationships and clearly enjoy performing. Cetaceans are prone to suicide when they are unhappy, as are many intelegent birds such as corvidae and large members of the parrot family and some of the great apes, particually gibbons. Dolphins are very well known for swimming head first into walls. Most captive Orcas outlive their wild counterparts.

The thing about childbirth I honestly don't know anything about, but I sincearly doubt that the percentage of successful births is better in the wild. I've established that because of common sense. If captive whales are bred too young, I want evidence in the form of a link to explain why wild orcas don't have offspring too young.

Regardless, are you aware you shouldnt let a guinea pig get pregnent after something like 8 months of it's life because their hips fuse? Lets stop keeping guinea pigs. It's cruel. It's regdiculous. We keep captive animals to the best of our ability and better standards than they would live in the wild. Wild cavis probably rarely live after 8 months, hense why it occurs, because natural selection will let it occur.

As for the extinct thing. Bollocks. Pandas. They are, trying their best, to force the things to breed in captivity. They have NOWHERE FOR THEM TO GO. There is NO HABITAT LEFT FOR THEM but they are still breeding them. Why? To save the species? Bull****, for people to enjoy pandas in zoos for all eternity.

You can't wait until an animal is on the extinction line before you educate the public. You need to educate the public on and ongoing basis.

Concrete bowls filled with water are not a suitable habitat for a 20ft 6-tonne Orca.
Cities are not a suitable habitat for human beings.

See how STUPID that sounds?

I guess we "choose" to be here? Yeah, we choose to be here like the baby whales BORN IN CAPTIVITY choose to be there.

As the most intelligent and evolved animal on the planet, humans are able to caputure and display them for our entertainment/educational/scientific needs, even though we have no right to.

I wounder if whales would do the same to us if the roles were reversed.

Whilst I mainly agree with Joey and UC, a quick google has brought to my attention that Ed is almost correct in terms of lifespan in captivity compared with natural span in the wild.

It is scientifically accepted that male killer whales can live to around 50 or so in the wild; and that females can live up to 70/80 years old.

The oldest killer whale in captivity (ever) is the 40 year old 'Lolita' at the Miami Seaquarium. And she is a rather rare case.

Most killer whales don't live even half that long in captivity! With the average being a measly 15 years! :shock:

Admittedly this is greatly improved from the 6-8 year figures from the 1970's - but it is still grossly unacceptable!

However, that point aside. Joey and UC are correct, awareness of these animals and people's desires to live a life sworn to protect them like some sort of DC comic book superhero of the seas are due to places like SeaWorld putting them in the public eye.

They don't force them to do shows, they don't force them to do tricks that they don't want to. They're obviously happy, considering that killer whales are known to be prone to drastic moods and tempers; yet there are comparatively few human deaths surrounding them (and most of them are put down to 'excessive playing' on the part of the animal).

Yes it's controversial. But if you were to ban keeping killer whales in captivity, where would it end? Would we stop lions and tigers, elephants and giraffes, monkeys and gorillas from being kept in zoos? The list is endless, and it simply will never happen.

A quick question also, where did you meet and learn of these creatures, hmmm? Did you go and walk/swim up to them in their natural habitat - or see them behind a nice wall in an enclosure? ;)

Neal said:
Whilst I mainly agree with Joey and UC, a quick google has brought to my attention that Ed is almost correct in terms of lifespan in captivity compared with natural span in the wild.

It is scientifically accepted that male killer whales can live to around 50 or so in the wild; and that females can live up to 70/80 years old.

The oldest killer whale in captivity (ever) is the 40 year old 'Lolita' at the Miami Seaquarium. And she is a rather rare case.

Most killer whales don't live even half that long in captivity! With the average being a measly 15 years! :shock:

Admittedly this is greatly improved from the 6-8 year figures from the 1970's - but it is still grossly unacceptable!
Thinking about it, I don't doubt this to be the case and whilst sad - how long did the original captive anything live? We have to learn how to get the most from the animal's lifespan in terms of nutritian and such.

I wounder if whales would do the same to us if the roles were reversed.
Undoubtably.

The dolphin family (which includes killer whales) is well known for both incredible altruistic behaviour, such as saving the lives of humans, as well as what we'd define as horrendous behaviour such as murder and rape. Both of their own species (including infants), and other species, including humans.

We, as a species, are varied in our opinions. I suspect were animals able to make the choices, some would be vegetarian, some would campaign for human rights, but a lot wouldn't - just like us.

As the most intelligent and evolved animal on the planet
Nitpick, but all current species are essentially as equally evolved. In fact, species with high generation turn around rates are more evolved than us becuase they must have more ancestors than us.

Joey said:
Neal said:

Thinking about it, I don't doubt this to be the case and whilst sad - how long did the original captive anything live? We have to learn how to get the most from the animal's lifespan in terms of nutritian and such.
Yes, I agree that we are getting better and still learning. But Ed is still right on this matter ;)

More for UC than you on that one Joey :)

not good news for this game then...

61F4BN32X2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ahahaha!

"Come take a ride with Shamu as he maims and breaks his trainers in an attempt to be free!"