What's new

SFMM | West Coast Racers | Premier Quad Launch Möbius Sky Rocket

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
"World's first racing launch coaster"? Ferrari World says hello. First launched Möbius, sure, but Fiorano GT Challenge has been racing for several years now.

Other than that, it's... well, I can't shake away the feeling of "filler ride", even though it'd have been a flagship in many other parks out there. It's just that Six Flags Magic Mountain has so many other huge coasters, but whether you count by height or speed, there's only one of the top eight that was built in the last decade. It's a lineup of imposing, but aging coasters, and budget-friendly new coasters. SFMM hasn't got a real headliner attraction since Tatsu. Bit of a shame, technology has marched quite far on since then, so a headliner ride built today would be a whole different beast than the ones put up around the turn of the millennium. I'm just presuming that Six Flags doesn't have the budget to be that ambitious nowadays.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
So basically takes the same concept of their last coaster (Twisted Colossus) and makes it all-steel? If this was aimed at another park I would be impressed but this just sounds redundant at SFMM.

By the way, what they refer to 'pit stop experience' means that once you complete your first lap you will have to wait forever on the 'fake station' for the attendants to clear the next train, right? Awesome to justify dire operations.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Did you like the racing element of Twisted Colossus?
Did you like the high five element of Twisted Colossus?
Did you like the inversions over the opposite track of Twisted Colossus?
Did you like the mobius track layout of Twisted Colossus?

Well come on back down to Magic Mountain, where our new coaster is all of that with a few launches slapped on!

Matt N

CF Legend
Also was expecting to see Matt N commenting bang on 5AM, where are you dude?
I'm here; I did actually set an alarm for 4:50am but I somehow slept through it! Must have been too quiet!

Anyway, the ride looks cool if you ask me! It'll certainly be a visual centrepiece, and should revive that area of the park a bit! I also think the layout looks very cool; I particularly like the high five element and how the ride snakes its way around the area! And for those of you worrying about whether it'll duel or not; don't worry, because Taylor Bybee said in his analysis that the way the ride is programmed and set out should make for constant duelling!

My only slight concern is capacity, dependant on how many trains they're running, but I'm sure SFMM will run 4, 5 or possibly even 6 at all times!

Another interesting point for you all to ponder on; the ride will apparently have OTSRs. Not sure if these are proper OTSRs or the comfort collars, like SeaWorld's Sky Rocket IIs have. I'm sure there's probably some design reason why the coaster has OTSRs, as Full Throttle, another Premier in the same park, has lap bars. Anyway, OTSRs aren't all that bad; they can actually be quite comfy dependant on type (albeit not as comfy as B&M hyper and Mack lap bars, but when viewed in isolation, these OTSRs should be OK on this coaster!)

So, in conclusion, I really like the look of this ride! Premier Rides have made fantastic use of the space, if you ask me, and I'm sure we'll all really like West Coast Racers when it opens next year!
EDIT: Also, I don't see any problem with this being similar to Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus, myself. Twisted Colossus, despite being a quasi möbius, should provide a very different experience to this; it's an RMC, whereas this is a Premier Rides launch coaster! Full Throttle should also provide a different experience to this; despite it being the same ride type as West Coast Racers, Full Throttle has all of the gizmos like the backwards launch and the huge top hat, whereas West Coast Racers is more about snaking around Cyclone Bay and staying low-to-the-ground for a fast experience, from what I know about it. So all in all, this should be a great, unique investment for SFMM, in my opinion; a great choice for a 20th coaster!

Last edited:

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Surely they'll have to rename Magic Mountain into Diamond Heights once they're adding another racing coaster.

However, I'm still pissed af that nobody has ever created something like Agoraphobia vs. Claustrophobia in real life.

yodawg.jpg
2gv2i8

Looks interesting, The world records seem a bit merlin-esque, but it should be a fun ride. The pit stop isn't that much of a first either if you count radiator springs racers! Maybe there'll be a #WhatsInThePits campaign or something.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
My only slight concern is capacity, dependant on how many trains they're running, but I'm sure SFMM will run 4, 5 or possibly even 6 at all times!
I think there will be no more than 3 as seen in the video... A fourth would be utter waste, since the ride is really short

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm pretty sure there WILL be 3 trains, since the video only shows 3 trains, and considering the ride length and how the system is similar to Twisted Colossus, it makes total sense.

EDIT:- It would have made a lot more sense if this went to Great America, and Maxx Force came here.

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
I think this looks ok, not sure why it's getting so much hate. It looks fun and it'll bring some life back into that area of the park, has felt like a ghost town on both of my visits to the park.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
They put a commercial on the ride to cover **** operations. And to those who are confident they will run enough trains...they won't.

I slept on it, not as bad as Full Throttle announcement, but it basically makes the past two additions redundant.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Now that's an interesting choice.

A **** choice, but an interesting one at least.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I think this ride will only have a 3 train operation, no 1 or 2 train operation. I can't see a transfer track, and if it only runs 2 trains, one train will be waiting ages for the over one to load/unload so they can duel again.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I think this ride will only have a 3 train operation, no 1 or 2 train operation. I can't see a transfer track, and if it only runs 2 trains, one train will be waiting ages for the over one to load/unload so they can duel again.
Have you been to Magic Mountain? They have a duel load station for a flyer they abandoned after a few months. Still stacks with 2 trains for several minutes.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Have you been to Magic Mountain? They have a duel load station for a flyer they abandoned after a few months. Still stacks with 2 trains for several minutes.

Huh? I'm pretty sure both stations were in use in August 2011 when I visited the place. Though looking back at it, I must've visited the park when they were still somewhat efficient at running their rides.