What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Pipeline: The Surf Coaster | B&M Surf Coaster | 2023

Rupert

Mega Poster
Is the main reason this is thought to be the Surf track the colour? From my untrained eye it looks like completely normal B&M track so will be interesting to see if the trains are anything different (if this is indeed for Seaworld).

Now that I think about it, was there ever confirmation that the Surf Coaster is actually a thing, and not just a rumour that grew legs?

Many thanks for the update though, always appreciated!

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Is the main reason this is thought to be the Surf track the colour? From my untrained eye it looks like completely normal B&M track so will be interesting to see if the trains are anything different (if this is indeed for Seaworld).

Now that I think about it, was there ever confirmation that the Surf Coaster is actually a thing, and not just a rumour that grew legs?

Many thanks for the update though, always appreciated!
It's real. Imagine a Intamin blitz but with hydraulic seats. At least thats according to the patent.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Interesting that the track is already loaded onto the flatbed trailer... to me that indicates that it's ready for delivery somewhere in the US. I would assume if it was going overseas that it would be loaded into a container at Clermont instead of unloaded & reloaded somewhere else.

Is the main reason this is thought to be the Surf track the colour?
As of now, yes, that's the only driving theory. The closer pictures on the previous thread don't give any info on what it's for. Until someone gets a crystal clear photo of the white label, then it'll remain up in the air until it (maybe) shows up at SWO. If that track shows "SF-A" on the white label, then it's about as good of confirmation as possible.

As for the Surf Coaster overall, here's a quick timeline:

May 28, 2019: B&M filed a trademark for the name "Surf Coaster".
March 23, 2020: SeaWorld Orlando receives a shipment of parts from B&M, with the code "SF-A" featured in the description.
June 2020: B&M files a lien against SeaWorld Orlando, in which it confirms that the two are working together on a "custom Launch Coaster".
September 2020: B&M files a patent for a new-gen standup restraint system with the new vest design.
December 6, 2021: BGWFans posts their massive plans dump article showing off the project in its entirety.
January 6, 2022: B&M filed a patent for the hydraulic-dampened, over-the-shoulder lap bar restraint (OTSLB).

So that's the current situation. Up until this year, the going theory was that the new-gen standup restraint would be used on this SWO Launch Coaster, but now that the new-gen OTSLB has been filed for, that's far & away the more likely design. Land is being cleared at SWO currently, so it definitely wont be long until something major happens here.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
As of now, yes, that's the only driving theory. The closer pictures on the previous thread don't give any info on what it's for.
Some of the more seasoned track plant enthusiasts are saying that these pieces have more crossties than usual. I personally don’t see much of a difference, but it’s far too early for production to start on the Legoland China junior wing coasters. Hence, my cash is with everyone else’s that this track is going to be put within reach of the Florida influencer paparazzi.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Oh for God's sake, bloody Florida. Why is it every time you even think about booking a trip to Florida, something gets announced that makes it worth hanging on for just that little bit longer, just another few months...
Never bloody get there at this rate.
Does my bloody head in. 😕

GwaziBrads

Roller Poster
Oh for God's sake, bloody Florida. Why is it every time you even think about booking a trip to Florida, something gets announced that makes it worth hanging on for just that little bit longer, just another few months...
Never bloody get there at this rate.
Does my bloody head in. 😕
I'm going July/Aug (obviously not expecting it to be opening this year)

If the tracks there now are looking at a predicted early 2023 opening?

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I'm the biggest B&M fanboy around, but I still don't quite...get it? I'm really interested to see how SeaWorld announce this coaster and tell us why it's special or even that it offers anything different from any of the other coasters in the same park. I adore the colour of that track, and I'm INCREDIBLY interested to see this, its been soooo long since we saw a new B&M model. I just don't quite get what the unique selling point to SWO's guests is.

Ethan

Strata Poster
So what exactly is the USP of the trains? They bob up and down a little bit or something, right?