What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Pipeline: The Surf Coaster | B&M Surf Coaster | 2023

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
I just don’t know what B&M could do to stand out in the market for water coasters. Mack is fairly reliable in that regard and Intamin is more than willing to break records/push the limits.

I still think @Kws6Theater’s prediction is the most accurate. B&M seem to lean more towards slightly altering their designs rather than coming up with entirely new concepts (e.g. floorless from sit down, flying from invert). So offering what’s essentially a reverse flying coaster seems more up their alley than venturing into an unknown territory for them (though they do build splashdowns).

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
But then you’re flipping a coin with Intamin water rides (how many of their recent instalations in the last 5/10 years have actually been successful?), and while Mack water coasters are “decent enough”, they’ve not ever really had good track work, or been actually exciting ‘rollercoasters’.

B&M have a habit of looking at what other people have done in the market, and perfecting it. Wing Coasters, Giga coasters, flying coasters, each of these were not the first of their kind, but they’re the best versions of the ride when they are released. This could be the same should B&M choose to go into the water coaster industry.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I just don’t know what B&M could do to stand out in the market for water coasters. Mack is fairly reliable in that regard and Intamin is more than willing to break records/push the limits.

I still think @Kws6Theater’s prediction is the most accurate. B&M seem to lean more towards slightly altering their designs rather than coming up with entirely new concepts (e.g. floorless from sit down, flying from invert). So offering what’s essentially a reverse flying coaster seems more up their alley than venturing into an unknown territory for them (though they do build splashdowns).
I think they could put their own spin on it (maybe even inversions?)
I think what you said is part of the problem. B&M is probably the least versatile major manufacture out there which is why i want something vastly different from their current catalogue.
Look at Mack. Water coasters, wild mouses, family coasters, powered coasters, inverted powered dark ride coaster, launched water coasters, some flat rides, indoor coasters, bobsleighs, log flumes, mega coasters.. Intamin and Vekoma are also incredibly versatile with so many options, i feel like B&M could do with something that is completely different to the rest of their models.

I think they could put their own spin on it (maybe even inversions?)
I think what you said is part of the problem. B&M is probably the least versatile major manufacture out there which is why i want something vastly different from their current catalogue.
Look at Mack. Water coasters, wild mouses, family coasters, powered coasters, inverted powered dark ride coaster, launched water coasters, some flat rides, indoor coasters, bobsleighs, log flumes, mega coasters.. Intamin and Vekoma are also incredibly versatile with so many options, i feel like B&M could do with something that is completely different to the rest of their models.
I'm thinking from that, it'll be a water coaster but with inversions. It won't be during the water splashes, but maybe before. Like an Extreme Water Coaster

KJ7500

Roller Poster
I'll say it again what I said in the Small News in the Theme Park Industry thread. I believe the "Surf" aspect of this model will be a unique riding position, the complete opposite of what a flying coaster's would be. Whereas on a flyer you hang below the track held in by vests and such, on this new model you would basically be in surfing position - stretched out on a mostly flat surface with the track under you. I believe this would allow for tighter clearances (as the train's height would be drastically reduced from the normal 4-10 feet to something between 2 and 5 feet), along with a very cool sensation for the riders. On the topic of which park might be lucky enough to receive the first installation of the Surf Coaster, @Matt N raised a good point. The USP of this attraction combined with the naturally low-to-the-ground trains could make this the perfect fit for Alton Towers, or any other larger park with major height restrictions.
Your head would need to be raised some, and the restraints couldn't be too tight or people would be in danger of choking on their own vomit. Maybe a POV could make it look fun, but it sounds pretty uncomfortable to me.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
My idea was merely a wild guess purely of speculation; I think you all have come up with some great comfort tweaks to enhance the experience. I do believe this would require longer trains, but a B&M Flying Coaster does as well - there would not be anything holding your head or neck back, but rather some sort of restraint clasping your knees and chest similar to how the vests and knee pads on flying coasters function.

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
My idea was merely a wild guess purely of speculation; I think you all have come up with some great comfort tweaks to enhance the experience. I do believe this would require longer trains, but a B&M Flying Coaster does as well - there would not be anything holding your head or neck back, but rather some sort of restraint clasping your knees and chest similar to how the vests and knee pads on flying coasters function.
That sounds like a brilliant way to snap your back...

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah, not gonna happen hun. Besides, from what you've described, in order to see where you're going you'd have to press your chin to your chest. That doesn't sound very practical at all, along with the entire idea tbh.

I mean, I'm all for speculation, but the idea of it just sounds awful haha.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
I can just imagine the vibration going through your jaw as your chin is pressed to a hard pad, stretching your neck up, only to realize that you're now straining your neck and would rather deal with the jaw vibrations.

About train length, on flying coasters, you're really sitting. e fact that your knees are still bent saves some space.

Last edited:

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Eww. Firstly this is a family forum, secondly you just made yourself sound like a right virgin.

Can we stop with this lying down idea already?? It’s dumb, uncomfortable and would just not happen. Flying coasters don’t spend much time in the prone position for that exact reason. Move on people!

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
Flying coasters don’t spend much time in the prone position for that exact reason. Move on people!

I think we're all talking about train on top of the track, stomach towards the ground. If by prone, you mean in the flying, not lying position, most flyers spend the vast majority of their time in the flying position lol.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Oh, my bad. But yeah that ain’t happening. It’s a dumb idea, and B&M would not invest money even thinking about it.

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
I’m personally hoping for them to announce it between June 12 and 14 at the Asian IAAPA expo, but I would bet on any new model being announced closer to November.

As far as the riding position in @Kw6sTheater’s concept is concerned, it’s not like something similar has never been attempted before. Zamperla Volares have a very similar restraint system, and while not the best example, I think B&M could improve on that to maximize comfort.

Alex B

Mega Poster
Hopefully it’s good, I think it’s going to be a somewhat modified stand up coaster that will be less painful but who knows

I’d be interested to see how that turns out but in that position it wouldn’t be easy to come up with an interesting layout because lots of things would be to forceful to the point of danger as your head first on top of the track

MOD EDIT: Don't double post, use the Edit button

Last edited by a moderator:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
B&M could easily put their own spin on the water coaster perhaps something similar to the Intamin launched water coaster concept below. However as people have pointed out it could be almost anything at the moment. Surf just suggests water involved in some capacity even though Intamins own Surf Rider model usually has nothing to do with water really.
Intamin Water Coaster.jpg