What's new

Sea World San Antonio | Texas Stingray | Wooden Coaster

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'm in the opposite camp: this thing rips! I especially love the run along the backside with those four quick pops of airtime. I can't wait to ride it!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
That looks fantastic. I love the way that the first drop and hill are like a classic woodie and then the rest of it is more like a twister layout.

Matt N

CF Legend
Oh my; that looks phenomenal! If it runs like that once it's operating, GCI and SWSA will be onto a winner!

Also, this looks to be one of those amazing layouts that actually gets better as it progresses; some of those hills at the end look like they could provide lethal airtime!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Seems like the ride has been receiving great reviews thus far! I'm excited to ride it in a few months!

Matt N

CF Legend
Wow, that looks fantastic! Glad to hear it's going down a treat thus far; from that POV footage, may I dare to suggest that it potentially looks to be one of the strongest GCI coasters in America, if not the world? It keeps a staggering pace right through to the end, and I'd imagine that some of those little airtime hills provide some pretty strong ejector!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Here's an awesome mounted 4K, 60fps POV by Midway Mayhem:-

EDIT:- Reverse POV:-

I've noticed that the chain on the lift is partially covered by a chain guard, which I believe GCI have never done before. I wonder if this is to prevent what happened on Wodan a few months ago from happening again?

Last edited:

Rupert

Mega Poster
Looks great, airtime everywhere and an amazing headchopper under the lift hill. Do we know though if they are planning to leave the ground like that in some kind of scorched-earth policy, like is it bare concrete or something? Would look infinitely better grassed/planted.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
All I can say is the ride is great and has the potential to be awesome once the weather warms up a bit more. I was lucky enough to be the only one to get the very first early morning ride immediately after tested completed when it was only 36° F (2° C) and it was already really good. I'll post that ride POV on Monday along with some others.
As I posted on Facebook and Twitter, the layout has a great drop, is full of pops of airtime, plenty of banked turns, fun twists and nice headchoppers, and a perfectly placed tunnel. Quite a bit on offer, so is it the best GCI in the USA? I think it's already up there with Gold Striker, Mystic Timbers, Prowler, Thunderhead, etc. and it wasn't even running at its best. It had reached 54° F (12° C) by my final ride that afternoon, so I can't wait to see how it runs this summer.
Best seat? Front has nice pops of ejector airtime and the view, but suffers from a few hangs (if that's the right term) here and there due to the rest of the train tugging. The back seat is also what you would expect, so also a great ride but you don't feel those pops like the front. And surprisingly, mediocre middle could be the best, as you get the most consistent ride in the fourth row. A bit strange that it rides best there, but that's what Clair Haines said they designed it to do. He said: "I always ride in the front and back, but most families and non-thrillseekers don't ride in those seats. We designed this coaster with those riders in mind as well as the coaster enthusiasts."
BTW - I gave that POV, which isn't from that first ride I filmed, to Midway Mayhem because his GoPro was messed up and I let him borrow my camera for that backwards POV after he saw me filming the one I'll be posting.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
All I can say is the ride is great and has the potential to be awesome once the weather warms up a bit more. I was lucky enough to be the only one to get the very first early morning ride immediately after tested completed when it was only 36° F (2° C) and it was already really good. I'll post that ride POV on Monday along with some others.
As I posted on Facebook and Twitter, the layout has a great drop, is full of pops of airtime, plenty of banked turns, fun twists and nice headchoppers, and a perfectly placed tunnel. Quite a bit on offer, so is it the best GCI in the USA? I think it's already up there with Gold Striker, Mystic Timbers, Prowler, Thunderhead, etc. and it wasn't even running at its best. It had reached 54° F (12° C) by my final ride that afternoon, so I can't wait to see how it runs this summer.
Best seat? Front has nice pops of ejector airtime and the view, but suffers from a few hangs (if that's the right term) here and there due to the rest of the train tugging. The back seat is also what you would expect, so also a great ride but you don't feel those pops like the front. And surprisingly, mediocre middle could be the best, as you get the most consistent ride in the fourth row. A bit strange that it rides best there, but that's what Clair Haines said they designed it to do. He said: "I always ride in the front and back, but most families and non-thrillseekers don't ride in those seats. We designed this coaster with those riders in mind as well as the coaster enthusiasts."
BTW - I gave that POV, which isn't from that first ride I filmed, to Midway Mayhem because his GoPro was messed up and I let him borrow my camera for that backwards POV after he saw me filming the one I'll be posting.
I apologize, I'll make sure to delete those POVs I posted when you post your version/s.

Glad to know the ride is awesome though!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wow, the backseat one really does look awesome!

Hutch

Strata Poster
Really excited to ride this in a few months. I imagine the rides here aren’t too crowded so hopefully will be able to get several cycles on this? Back looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk