What's new

Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 discussion

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
It'll probably not get released this year at all (if it does, it'll be around Christmas)...

It's gone through 3 developers since the original announcement, what a farce from Atari...

scw55

Hyper Poster
Follow the blogs they post. They're giving the impression of immense transparency.

Myself, prefer RCT3 due to how broad the creativity can be. However, RCT2 had better default assets. I also hate how un-user friend some mods are for RCT3. RCT3 is exhausting to play creatively since you have to work hard to make things not look bad. RCT3 is a lot more work than RCT2 and 1.

I prefer that RCT3 campaign had no deadline. I didn't like that in RCT 2 and 1 the deadline objectives. It discouraged you from designing. It made you play a GAME, not a park BUILDING experience.

RCT3's scenarios could have had better difficulty. Some objectives were too easy. Some were too niche.
I liked they had a "broken coaster" to rebuild, but all you did was fill the blanks. It had no "be imaginative".

My only hope is that the game is popular, fun and doesn't need custom supports EVER because I hate that so much.

scw55

Hyper Poster
The few things that needs to be modded in, the better. I hate that RCT3 relies on mods to furnish coasters. Stations. Supports etc.
It's not fun to place those.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Looks very promising.

My concern is having fewer rides and coasters. They implied they'll have 40 rollercoasters. They haven't said if you can change train types. As in they have 40 TRACKS but they can have different trains to choose from.

What matters is having a solid base for the game. The additional content can be made up through mods and free updates/DLC.

I'm excited for this. But I have distractions. This is something that looks good for the future.

peep

CF Legend
I saw a gameplay demo video yesterday and I'm currently most concerned about how paths and creds are made. It just looks a bit awkward? I'm still excited for its eventual release though and it sounds like it'll be released with just a few things with additional free updates as time goes on. The video also confirmed that the peep AI has been massively overhauled so if you theme something peeps that like that theme will appreciate it more etc.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

scw55

Hyper Poster
So looking forward to not having to place custom supports.
Anyone on the RCT3 sub-forum will know how much I hate it. Such a tedious necessary tasks that eats time and prevents me from doing what it love; landscape design.
---
I don't do much on RCT3 because of the time sink that comes from building supports.

I built a family inverted swinging coaster, and I spent so many hours doing the supports. It's a fun challenge working out how to do it. I just wish once you solved the problem of one support, you can just copy and paste it for everything similar.
By the end I feel so fed up, I cannot be arsed adding flanges or footers.
I will happily see the back of that.

I hope the default track supports in both RCTW and PC satisfy the people who really care about authenticity.

Custom supports also prevents you from using certain coaster types. Some types require the first kit of CTS. And that's even more fiddly.

I have never finished a stratosphere coaster because of this.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I was shocked at the price, but I guess I forgot how expensive new video games are.

Trying to work out if the perks for the Delux edition can be acquired retroactively with the base game.

$60 is a bit steep for me right now as I am trying to balance my finances around my fledgling art business. Sadly my business finance and personal finance currently draw from the same pool.

Part of me wants to exploit the beta events as an opportunity to be a RCTW Youtuber. But, I tried that with another game which I had enthusiasm for, and that never took off.
I guess it might be better if I simply buy the game when I want, rather than when I feel like I should.
I will miss one of the two Beta events because I will be away publicly declaring I want to follow Jesus. So I'd rather do that than play a Beta event. In a way, the pre-order value seems less worth.

steel

Mega Poster
RCT2 is $9.99 on Steam and you can play it today and it's probably a better game than RCTW is going to be.

Also I've just seen that Cities: Skylines is on sale for $14.99 right now so PSA if you don't have that it's an amazing game.

scw55

Hyper Poster
steel said:
RCT2 is $9.99 on Steam and you can play it today and it's probably a better game than RCTW is going to be.

Also I've just seen that Cities: Skylines is on sale for $14.99 right now so PSA if you don't have that it's an amazing game.

The guys who made Cities: Skylines are making RCTW ;)
I hope you have a tasty hat.

steel

Mega Poster
That's not really relevant at all as they are completely different and unrelated games that have literally nothing to do with each other. There are clearly some gameplay similarities between RCTW and Skylines (path-building mostly) but that doesn't mean anything substantial at all. City builders like Skylines, SimCity, Cities XL, etc are essentially economics sandboxes (based on broken, outdated old urbanist principles, although that's a different conversation) where the only design aspect the user has to worry about is general layout. Park builders are almost exclusively design-based, and making them shiny (RCT3, RCTW) is useless if they're not extremely moddable, easy on system requirements, and graphically unobtrusive (RCT, RCT2). There's a reason Minecraft is one of the most successful games ever.

I'm still going to buy RCTW and I'm cautiously optimistic about it (it will be better than RCT3), but RCT2 is most likely going to continue to be the cleanest park builder and the best long-term game experience on the market.

scw55

Hyper Poster
RCTW will utilise Steamwork shop. So as a simulator of the Industry, it will be the best of the series.
Because whenever a company releases a new coaster type (single rail as an example), the modding community will leap onto it.

I'm optimistic, but cautious.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I think they finally realized that they have no chance. They'll put it on Early Access, and leave it like almost all other Early Access games.

peep

CF Legend
I watched a couple of gameplay videos earlier, it looks woeful. How a big game like this can be such a fail is beyond me. It looks dreadful in every way.

Sooooo, Planet coaster it is!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Sandman

Giga Poster
peep said:
I watched a couple of gameplay videos earlier, it looks woeful. How a big game like this can be such a fail is beyond me. It looks dreadful in every way.

Sooooo, Planet coaster it is!

Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't paid that much attention to RCT World, but I have seen some snippets of gameplay and the coaster building tool looks fairly similar to Planet Coaster, as do a couple of other bits of gameplay I've seen. I know the game is being slated quite a bit and I'm just wondering what I've missed that everyone else is critical of? (I've noticed the graphics aren't on par with Planet Coaster, but that's pretty obvious :p ).

peep

CF Legend
It's just full of glitches, paths won't connect etc.

I actually like part of their coaster building tool but all the other issues are just too prominent for something released to the public. Oh and the character animation is dreadful.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
The coaster builder concept is pretty neat, but was executed terribly. When placing track, the camera moves up. The freeform tool doesn't like this glitch.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Sandman

Giga Poster
Kind of feel bad for all those paying customers and also for the franchise. RCT has never really been panned as badly as I've been seeing up until RCT World. I'm sure it's going to hit them where it hurts all whilst Planet Coaster continues to develop and interact with its customer base to build a better game.