What's new

Roller Coaster Day 2020 Survey

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The only thing I would ask, and this is not a slight on you, as again, great job, but as a general question to you and others here, completely aside from the poll. What makes it more of an element and less of an inversion than say a bat wing or cobra roll? Is it the quantity of those other elements out there that give them that status of an inversion rather than a unique element?
Thanks, appreciate the kind words, but as you said, the question is outside of this topic, so please could you set up a separate topic for it so this is focused purely on the poll. Cheers.

@CrashCoaster Yep, if we run it again, we’ll include a wider range of merch. Remember this is the first time we’ve done this and it’s impossible - and undesirable - to include absolutely every option, as well as getting it right on our first go.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
This is clearly a voter suppression fake news lamestream media poll. I mean, c'mon, somebody voted for South America as the best coaster continent.

nadroJ

CF Legend
This was fab. Don't think there are any really surprising results but always good to see some figures to back up the assumptions! As mentioned I'd love to see these results broken down by nationality to get some cultural trend reports too.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Bit of both really. It is more elementy than inversiony,
Isn't an inversion not just an element which takes you upside down?

Edit: Too slow, please feel free to remove this post if you deem it necessary.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Really striking that the number of people with 700-999 creds is the same as those with 1000+. Especially with the spike at 400-499. Would suggest that hitting 500 is a huge milestone (makes sense; realistically most people will have been to a lot of major parks across 2 continents to hit that, with maybe a visit to a third as well). Then after that, you either just slowly gain more, or you go all in and go to lots of major parks across 3 continents, along with collecting loads of the +1s everywhere, and just seem to eventually hit 1000 sooner or later.

I've been thinking about this recently as I try and predict what my life will look like in the coming years, including how much my income will grow and how many opportunities I'll have to go on a dedicated coaster trip abroad (number of vacation days, getting married and having kids, etc). I'm closing in on that 500 milestone myself, and although I have managed to visit a few European parks over the years, the vast majority of my creds have come from traveling in North America (I'm at the point where Valleyfair is the largest park that I haven't visited yet). I can imagine that once I breach the 500 milestone, my coaster count's growth will slow tremendously since I'll mainly have to start traveling overseas for big cred hauls - something that I doubt will be as frequent as I'd like. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that most of the people in the same coaster count band are in a similar situation stateside, but I can imagine the numbers look similar for the Europeans with a similar coaster count.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
The coaster count also depends on what kind of coasters you do. I for one don't do kiddie coasters since I was a kid. I currently fall into the 600-700 range and would easily have 1000+ if I would've taken any Wacky Worm or Zierer Force One etc on the way. The "smallest" coasters I include on my tours are either Wild Mice or coasters with at least 50 kph - there may be some exceptions like dark ride coasters.

The question on season passes might also have to do with were you are located - if you are living in the US and get a season pass from Six Flags and Cedar Fair with the highest tier of both available you can visit all their parks which in the US only excludes Disney/Busch/Universal and some smaller parks. In Europe or Japan the themepark ownership is far more fragmented.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Bit of both really. It is more elementy than inversiony, and it had 3 submissions. The “free entry” questions were a bit of pickle to sort through. So many options submitted, so I had to unfortunately draw a line somewhere to make it manageable. It’s the first year of doing this so next year I’ll have a better idea how to present it and what to expect.

I really enjoyed gooning out to the results with a bottle of gin on Friday night. Thanks once again to everybody who submitted!
To affirm - classifying inversions has become an artform, as we have so many different types and variety of inversion, technical definitions are quickly blurred. I've been wrestling with some new analytical work lately on inversions in my own count; you quickly go from 4 types of inversions to 40!

This was so fun to read-through and see! Far more scientific than @Pokemaniac and I's work on the "Favorite CF Coaster". ;)

emoo

Hyper Poster
The coaster count also depends on what kind of coasters you do. I for one don't do kiddie coasters since I was a kid. I currently fall into the 600-700 range and would easily have 1000+ if I would've taken any Wacky Worm or Zierer Force One etc on the way. The "smallest" coasters I include on my tours are either Wild Mice or coasters with at least 50 kph - there may be some exceptions like dark ride coasters.

While I sometimes feel too good or just for a kiddy coaster, I always regret it afterwards. You can hold your head much higher than my troubled mind.