What's new

Removal of G-Force at Drayton Manor (2005 - 2018)

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah I'll wait for the park to say something, not RCGB. :)

However, as many have said, while unique.. the ride looks like ****. Not going to be missed outside of those 3 Drayton fanboys.. who live next to the park.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Not going to be missed outside of those 3 Drayton fanboys.. who live next to the park.
It's more of what it symbolizes. Yet another UK park packs up its big-ish coaster, leaving an even smaller handful of parks outside the Merlin umbrella with non-kiddie coasters. With so few of those built nowadays, the removal of one such coaster - crappy though it may be - signals a coaster scene in decline.

Heck, if you look at this list, you'll find that only six "extreme" coasters were built new in the UK outside Merlin parks since G-Force was built: Speed at Oakwood, Icon at BPB, Rage at Adventure Island, and Kumali, Hero and Mumbo Jumbo at Flamingoland (and you may notice that only two of those were built after 2010). Other parks have shuffled around second- and third-hand coasters built around or before 1990. A park building something like G-Force nowadays would be a pretty huge thing for the local coaster scene.

G-Force may not be missed, but the spirit which led to its construction certainly will.

Snoo

The Legend
It's more of what it symbolizes. Yet another UK park packs up its big-ish coaster, leaving an even smaller handful of parks outside the Merlin umbrella with non-kiddie coasters. With so few of those built nowadays, the removal of one such coaster - crappy though it may be - signals a coaster scene in decline.

Heck, if you look at this list, you'll find that only six "extreme" coasters were built new in the UK outside Merlin parks since G-Force was built: Speed at Oakwood, Icon at BPB, Rage at Adventure Island, and Kumali, Hero and Mumbo Jumbo at Flamingoland (and you may notice that only two of those were built after 2010). Other parks have shuffled around second- and third-hand coasters built around or before 1990. A park building something like G-Force nowadays would be a pretty huge thing for the local coaster scene.

G-Force may not be missed, but the spirit which led to its construction certainly will.

See this is something that I can't relate to and couldn't understand without a locals viewpoint. My perspective is the grand scheme of things is "meh" to this puppy. However, I do understand the building trends in the UK are.. well non-existent to say it mildly. You can say that for most of the world, but especially in the UK. Tis be a shame, especially with all of that revenue and just genuine fun lost to the populous. I see very quickly and easily the impact a major installation can have with a park and the local people as a whole with a number of parks here in the States.

I guess it does speak volumes that myself, as a tourist, would only go out of his own way for Thorpe and Alton and really no where else. That can and should change ASAP.

Catmaydo

Roller Poster
To me, Drayton Manor has always been more of a family park; I used to go there as a kid, and for the longest time, Python was the only coaster that was in any way thrilling (and that was a Pinfari piece of ****). I always thought the addition of Shockwave was a weird one because they just didn't do "big" rides throughout the 80's and early couple of years of the 90's.

If anything, I think they should keep striving for the family market - it's what they've always been good at, and it's the reason my partner's family keep travelling all the way up from Kent every year. They can't keep up with Alton Towers on excitement, but they can continue to carve out a niche as the premier family park in the UK.

vaugc002

Mega Poster

This is almost poetic :emoji_cry:. It's a bleak future if Drayton doesn't improve.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
G-Force's footprint is tiny, whatever is going in that spot will either be a :emoji_poop: cred, like a Zacspin

I hope so, just to turn that little corner of Drayton into a showroom of coasters Intamin would like you to forget they made.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
"hopefully this will provide a much smoother and comfortable ride experience.
Are you looking forward to the new coaster? I sure am.
Let me know in the comments if you're looking forward to this new investment by the park.
#****post #Bait"
Of course it's fake.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

davidm

Strata Poster
^ yeah that's no more confirmed than the earlier RCCGB comment.
Again, not that I don't believe it, but it's this "I heard" mentality seemingly carrying some importance when its just one person repeating another person's rumour/guesswork.
Silly enthusiasts! :)

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Further to this discussion I saw a comment regarding this from someone I know who went to that meeting:
"Colin never said he was removing it on Saturday when we had a meeting with him so don’t know where this is come from all he said is that the issue won’t be fixed this year"

So make of that what you will.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Further to this discussion I saw a comment regarding this from someone I know who went to that meeting:
"Colin never said he was removing it on Saturday when we had a meeting with him so don’t know where this is come from all he said is that the issue won’t be fixed this year"

So make of that what you will.
The quote on the ThemeParksUK article also says that it'll be closed for the 'foreseeable future', which sounds a lot more like a year under maintenance than actual removal.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Screamscape just said that Drayton Manor comfirmed this.

They must have read the article in @ATI's post.
IT SAYS FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE, NOT PERMANENTLY.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but G Force is now gone from Drayton Manor's website, which seems like a pretty good indicator that it's gone to me.

On a random note, was G Force the only X-Car to suffer from the alleged tightening problem, or do others suffer from it too? I can't say I've ever felt any tightening on Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, but was that a lucky ride on Maurer's part?

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Sorry to bump the thread, but G Force is now gone from Drayton Manor's website, which seems like a pretty good indicator that it's gone to me.

On a random note, was G Force the only X-Car to suffer from the alleged tightening problem, or do others suffer from it too? I can't say I've ever felt any tightening on Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, but was that a lucky ride on Maurer's part?

I think you’re right about Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, and the other ones I can think of that tightened (Formule X, Abismo) are two of the “older” ones so I guess they fixed the issue eventually. Shock is another “newer” one I’ve done and I’m pretty sure that didn’t tighten either.