What's new

Records or claims that never made sense to you?

Gazza

Giga Poster
Just wondering, are there many world records for coasters that seemed to defy logic and never made sense?

A couple have stuck out to me.

1)
Eejanaika reportedly held the world record for the most inversions, at 14.
1629290037930.png

Now, quite blatantly, the ride only has 3 track inversions according to RCBD.
And if you watch the POV, riders only flip
-On the first drop
-At the top of the first raven
-In the zero g roll (you dont really go upside down, you more do this side to s but whatevs I'll include it)
-In the half roll after the turnaround
-In the twist before the brakes.

If I wanted to be super tenuous, there's that face first move it does in the brake run, and it seems to do a bit of forward tilting on the main turnaround

Even if you added all those things together to really puff it up, you maaaybe get something 10 moments in the "inversion zone", not 14, and I've literally never seen a detailed breakdown of how they arrived at 14.

2)
Oblivion was promoted as the worlds first vertical drop roller coaster and even appeared in the guiness world record book in 1998 or 1999 from memory.
Now, this one has always been pretty cut and dry to me. The drop is 87.5 degrees so it's not vertical.
And people often respond by saying "oh but it couldn't be vertical because B&M didn't have spring loaded wheel assemblies"
And I'm like yeah and thats perfectly fine, but if you didn't have the technology to properly achieve the record, then you don't get to claim it.

So as far as I know, the first coaster with a vertical drop would have been Hypersonic XLC.

Any others like this.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
As I pointed out in a different topic not tooooo long ago, both Mr Freeze coasters predated XLC with a vertical drop, and Superman SFMM predated those.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Yeah, those could definitely lay claim as well but I'm not so sure if it is necessary to be facing forwards in the drop?
Or if a 'drop' has to have both a start and finish from a horizonal point?
Lol maybe Mr Freeze should have opened as reverse blast to remove some doubt?

Matt N

CF Legend
Wicker Man’s “world’s first coaster fusing wood and fire” claim is one that I’ll admit never made sense to me; other woodies had fire effects before WM did. Maybe it’s something to do with the theatricality aspect, and you travelling through the fake fire within the wicker man structure?

I don’t really know, but it’s a claim I never understood, if I’m being honest…

Tulum

Mega Poster
Ring Racer being the world fastest coaster in operation ... for four (!!!!) days. Didn't make any sense.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
In 1995 Oakwood advertised their newly installed snake river falls as the UKs (might have said Europes) first water coaster! (think it might even have said water ROLLER coaster, when it was clear it was basically depthcharge.02

soon after master-blaster uphill flumes also advertised themselves as 'water coasters', which made more sense as it did have an uphill projection system - but still!

also Camelot when they installed 'THE RACK' advertised it as the UK's/Europes/the worlds first 'split coaster'...... which puzzled me as a kid - as it was clear it was a flat ride....like WTF is a 'split coaster'.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
Defiance at Glenwood Caverns for having the worlds steepest free fall drop, which if i must say, they haven't seen the S&S El Loco, for example Mumbo Jumbo which has a 112 degree drop with no holding brake.

Matt N

CF Legend
One thing I’ll admit does confuse me about Defiance is; surely that “anticipation stall” is a holding brake in itself, is it not?

Boodangy

Mega Poster
Six Flags referring to Raptors as "single rail coasters" despite the trains obviously riding two separate rails that are just connected to a solid box track. Nevermind calling Golden Lasso whatever the first single rail coaster when Caripro (and maybe someone else) had made actual single rail coasters decades prior. I know not everyone agrees with me on this but imo