What's new

RCT World Beta is out NOW!

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
UPDATE: The Beta is out now if you have pre ordered the game.

I haven't pre ordered the game myself because I want to see whether its good or trash before I invest. The coaster designing looks a lot more free and less restricted which is great, unfortunately the coasters in the Pax demos **** sucked because they were so unrealistic but they do show how much the coaster designing has improved at the same time.

If anyone plays the beta please give feedback below, I'd love to hear it as I've sunk many hundreds of hours over the past 10 years into RCT3 and will not hesitate to get RCTW if its good and improves on 3 :--D

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
Re: RCT World Beta is out next weekend!

cjbrandy said:
http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rctw-blog-21-the-first-rollercoaster-tycoon-world-beta-weekend-is-coming-october-30th/

I would've put this in coaster games but this is fairly big news and let's be real, no one really goes there- If you have pre ordered the game, you'll get your first taste of playing RCT world next weekend!

I haven't pre ordered the game myself because I want to see whether its good or trash before I invest. The coaster designing looks a lot more free and less restricted which is great, unfortunately the coasters in the Pax demos **** sucked because they were so unrealistic but they do show how much the coaster designing has improved at the same time.

If anyone plays the beta please give feedback below, I'd love to hear it as I've sunk many hundreds of hours over the past 10 years into RCT3 and will not hesitate to get RCTW if its good and improves on 3 :--D
I'm pre ordering it. I hope you can make a coaster there, and import it inot rct3.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Ayy Lmao said:
I'm pre ordering it. I hope you can make a coaster there, and import it inot rct3.

Backwards compatibility with a decade-old game coded in an entirely different engine and with fundamentally different coaster building and simulation mechanics? Don't hold your breath.

That being said, RCT World does look rather good, so I think I'll give it a try once reviews start coming in.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^I wouldn't say it's impossible, though. People have converted NL(2) coasters onto RCT3 before, and it works fine. Sure, they're a bit bumpy around the edges, but it still works.

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster

Guys, whatever you do don't pre order the game. This game sucks so bad. The game is so limited, and it's constantly crashing. The steepness level for woodies is so stupid. You can barely bank a wooden coaster. The max steepness for a curve on a woodie, is the steepness on the beast's helix's.
The tracks for a coaster are unrealistic. And your coaster train could crash at any given momment. Do yourself a favor and save up for any of the NL games, or TPS, or planet coaster (don't pre order it though). I'm so glad I played it at my friends house, and I didn't pre order the game. It's easily the worst game I've ever played.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Thanks for the feedback on the game, Im definitely not going to pre order.

What I like from what Ive seen
. More free coaster designer tool (though for now every mother **** on youtube playing it has only built piles of ****, I want to see someone like Silvarret put it through its paces)
. Decent colourful graphics that aren't too demanding
. More realistic supports and catwalks

Don't like
. Coasters derail if elements are too tight or whatever, its not cool to force that on players who should have the right to build extreme elements. Im sure console commands or messing with files could fix this
. The B&M track looks ****, why didn't they make an exact replica like in rct3?. Luckily any problems like this will be fixed by modders

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
There's some video footage of the beta floating around on Twitch. From what I've seen, the coaster creation tools look like a clunky mess, and the whole game looks like alpha level code. If this is representative of the current state of the game then there's no way it's going to be in a playable state on release day.

It looks like they need to go back to the drawing board and make some pretty fundamental changes, but I can't see that happening as the publisher isn't going to want to miss the lucrative Christmas release window. I can't see them completely redesigning a big chunk of the game after release either, given that they'd likely end up changing such a significant component, and would probably end up breaking backwards compatibility with things like saved games in the process. I really hope I'm wrong on this one and that the developers manage to pull off a last minute save, but I just can't see it happening. Honestly I think it may be time to write this one off.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
It's been enough time since the third one you'd think that they would have had the time to get it right. Not liking the reviews so far.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I will just leave this here.

11215803_549114695239369_6191748576632799737_n.jpg

Reminds me of:

12182978_549122405238598_6452105307194458834_o.jpg

Sadly... it's just the pre-made loop on an invert.

In 1999, they looked like this:

12190996_549124508571721_7807738160511408462_n.jpg

In 2015, they are nearly square.

Lofty

CF Legend
They've focused on the wrong parts of the game in my opinion. Instead of focusing on making the coasters and thrill rides more realistic, they've focused on shops and custom scenery, which was easily customisable and importable to the game. that loop and the other coasters are now so **** ****, it's unreal.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'd say the opposite to be honest.

The issue is that they've tried too hard to be realistic, when they should be concentrating on making things simple.

There are other packages out there that allow you to create realistic tracks - if you want to put the time and effort into learning the mechanics of the package.

RCT was always about how quick and easy you could produce a coaster that kind of, almost resembled the real thing.

It's a bit like Lego. You know that nothing in Lego looks like the real thing. However, it's a fun approximation done with a very simple system of interconnecting bricks. That doesn't mean you can't do complicated and detailed things with it, but it's always limited by the general "ease of access". In reality, that makes it even more impressive when you pull off something stunning.

By running with simple "block placement" on coaster design, it's accessible and allows the designer to make things look "pretty good".

What it really needed was flexibility in the block design. For example:
A loop is always a clothoid loop, but it could be small (4 blocks x1 block, 1 block shift left/right, 4 blocks x 1 block, 9 blocks high), medium (8x1, 2 block shift left/right, 8x1), large (12x1, 3shift, 12x1), etc.

If you want to create domes, you pick the total black area it will sit on (8x8 block), decide on height (which will give you the dome shape) and then place it. Have walls that can curve on a 2x2 and you have a quarter of the wall rounded.

I know what I mean in my head. Everything still works in blocks, but you can pick the scale they fit to. All you'd need then is a "snap to" curve or straight to connect track pieces to allow for awkward fits and you could create some great looking coasters and scenery.

Instead, you have fluffed algorithms to create "flowing" tracks that just end up looking ****.

Somebody should put me in charge :p

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Yeah, I think that would make more sense. Variable size elements on a grid would provide a lot more flexibility, especially if they provided support for building elements at angles. I'm fine with interconnecting loads of pre-defined elements in order to build a ride relatively simply provided you're given a good set of elements to work with (Extended Coaster, anyone?) that there's some way to smooth over the rough transitions you always got in previous games.

If the game allowed you to build RCT3 style but then used an algorithm to automatically adjust the banking of elements and the shape of the hills so that they looked smoother and more realistic, I think they'd be much better off.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
scw55 said:
SilverArrow said:
Anyone get this for xmas? Is it any good?
It's not out yet. They pushed back delay based on Beta feedback.
Oh right. Awkward. Hadn't really been following it due to that feedback either! Hopefully a good sign.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk