What's new

Rapids or log flume

What's better - log flumes or rapids?

• Log flumes are best

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Rapids are best

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
Whenever I go to a theme park, I generally stray away from rapids flumes. Whenever I go to a park, I have my camera, phone, and sometimes, my iPod. I don't feel like shelling out money for a locker, sorry, thats my mentality. As far as getting wet, if I have a change of clothes, maybe thats fine. But, if I don't, you aren't going to see me getting on one, I absoultely hate walking around a park for the rest of the day soaking wet.

As for why I like Log Flumes more, quite frankly, they're fun. They're nostalgic. My girlfriend likes to snuggle up to me when riding a log flume during mild portions, so they can be intimate (if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband) too, which is nice. They're generally well placed or well themed, too. Either set in the woods or built as a dark ride, log flumes have some of the best sights to see during a ride. So, thats my two cents.

Rapids. Sure, there are bad ones out there which can be dull, but I'm yet to find a log flume that is truly unpredictable, and exciting. In comparison, I can think of several rapids rides which rate incredibly highly.

I think the thing about rapids is the variety in style and what they can do. The one at Phantasialand is incredible because of the different things it does, and the execution is great. Find Peep's pov of my first ever ride on it to know what I mean! However, even a more traditional layout can be brilliant if done well. See Mirabilandia for a good example, it's by far the most soaked I've ever got on a rapids!

I think there is a lot to be said for the "community" aspect. Cramming 9 of us into a boat at Bagatelle is a particularly strong memory, as is hearing a German girl shout "Scheiße!" and having Richard reply with "I know what that means!" on the one at Phantasialand. As others have said, even if you ends up sitting with randomers, it can still be a fun experience. I think a lot of it does come down to the roulette wheel of wetness which you don't really get on a log flume.

So, yeah, rapids <3

A well themed Rapids rules!

I love a rapids ride full of fun CFers. Mainly because hilarity ensues. I think I have had some of the funniest moments ever on a CF Trip when on a rapids. Especially considering the fact Marc seems to attract copious amounts of water.

It's so hard to choose for me, they've both got very positive points.

Log Flume; Gotta love the meandering around a little trough, mixed with a good couple of drops, Terra Mitica, PortAventura and IOA's all come very close as my favourite ones, it's hard to judge between the three.

Rapids; The unpredictable element of them is the key to such a fun ride. When you get the wet rapids, they're a so much fun, as Jordan says, the little community you build on the raft is great too.

I'd actually have to say I prefer Flumes over Rapids. Hard choice though.

Rapids are great for the russian roulette factor of who's getting soaked, and you can look at your mates bricking it before the inevitable. Log flumes don't have that interaction, but a fat boat is always funny to watch from the sidelines.

I love Log Flumes... I have only been on one decent (possibly 2) rapids ride and that was River Quest at Phantasialand. I havent experienced any of the American river rapids rides yet, ive only ever had to deal with the UK ones which, in my opinion, are nothing special, quite boring actually. Apart from one thinking about it and that is the one at Legoland windsor, which when all of the effects are on got me absolutely soaked!

All of the Log flumes i have been on (apart from Legoland and Gullivers Land) have been great fun and on quite thrilling, my favourite being Loggers Leap at Thorpe.

In a normal, regional park, I would almost always prefer a rapids ride, seeing as they are much more fun, while flumes tend to be long and boring - all in anticipation to an often dull drop. However, when a flume is well themed (e.g. Splash Mountain), they are much better rides, and better than even rapids rides that are also heavily themed.

They can both be done excellently, and I really enjoy both water ride types, I'll try and ride them both if a park offers both attractions, if I had to choose, I'd probably choose rapids because they're different with every ride and getting wet is often pot luck...having said that, Valhalla is the best water ride I've ridden and that's a log flume...

Rapids for a better ride experience. You also get a LOT more wet.

Flumes for a more gentle, slower-paced ride.

Obviously rapids.

^^ Calling Valhalla a log flume is like comparing Godiva chocolate to Hershey.

The best log flumes are better than the best rapids in my opinion.

^ There certainly exist Log Flumes that are better than Valhalla... Does that mean Hershey chocolate can be better than Godiva (they don't sell it here, so I assume it's some brand of premium chocolate)?