What's new

Rank the RMCs

PeteA

Roller Poster
Was just way too painful to enjoy. The final bunny hills were an endurance test. Looking at the initial POV's which came out, the ride was crawling around the last sections, but its flying at the moment and its making the ride painful (for me anyway).

Snoo

The Legend
Was just way too painful to enjoy. The final bunny hills were an endurance test. Looking at the initial POV's which came out, the ride was crawling around the last sections, but its flying at the moment and its making the ride painful (for me anyway).

I got you. I've said it for other RMC's but they can throw you around. Some people love it, some don't. Also one ride can be more intense and you can love it while another is less and you don't. Such a wild spectrum for these rides.

PeteA

Roller Poster
Completely agree, three of those RMC's I have ridden are just way too painful, whilst the others don't give me pain at all :) (Steel Vengeance, Stormchaser and Twisted Timbers). Maybe its because those 3 rides have periods of heavy sustained ejector, whereas the others I have ridden have other elements other than continual airtime mixed in. Also one of the trains on Lightning Rod was a lot more uncomfortable than the other and indeed that train was taken off midway through the following day.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
1. Steel Vengeance. This coaster destroys everything else on the planet, hands down, no ifs, no buts, no caveats.
Me, @DelPiero and @davidm whorred the sh*t out of it this week - front, back, middle, left, right, day and night. Totally addictive. Elements that defy the laws of physics, it subjects your body to forces that it shouldn't be subjected to, and does it in a way that leaves you gagging for more.
And the airtime - my god, the airtime. Throughout its 2 minute ride time, Steel Vengeance tries to fling you to a very messy death, again and again and again.

And again and again and again.
And that's just the first lap. I'm talking Storm Chaser levels of airtime, but on a coaster that has the size, the spectacle and the grandeur of Wildfire.
I know, I sound like an RMC fanboy caught up in the hype, or some basic bitch that simply hasn't experienced anything decent before... but I'm not that basic - I'd ridden 3 other RMC's in the week leading up to this, and I was ready and willing to be uber critical of this one, but SteVe's utter dominance is in your face and absolutely undeniable.
It's the greatest coaster in the world. End of.

2. Outlaw Run. A fantastic coaster, this. Fast, ferocious layout, great location, some unique elements and buckets of airtime.
It was easily my favourite RMC... for about 5 days!

3. Wildfire. This was my first RMC and it remains a magnificent piece of engineering, in an absolutely stunning location. It's big, it's bold and it's fast, but the pacing peters out a bit towards the end.

4. Storm Chaser. What a ride! Apart from SV, this has the strongest airtime of anything I've ever ridden, and the pacing is perfection. What let's this one down is the location, it just seems to be plonked on a bit of flat, uninspiring scrubland, next to a road and overlooking a tyre depot. It just doesn't feel as 'special' as the others.
But it's still mental.

5. Goliath. Still a damn good ride, great drop, great dive loop and the fantastic stall inversion, but the layout is simple and doesn't feature the insane, rapid-fire sequence of elements as the others, and it's all over far too quickly.

That's my lot.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Well after a fairly tumultuous (and still somewhat incomplete) return trip from Texas, I’m back in the Buckeye State with three new RMCs to my name!

Steel Vengeance
Lightning Rod
Iron Rattler
Wicked Cyclone
Outlaw Run
Wonder Woman Golden Lasso Coaster
Twisted Cyclone
Storm Chaser
New Texas Giant
Goliath

That trip is a must for any RMC nerd but the ones there are definitely not what you think of when you think of a typical RMC experience. Iron Rattler is a world class coaster full of strong ejector and stunning visuals at a great pace. Wonder Woman is a pretty generic layout taken at an insane pace punctuated by insane airtime and made great by the sketchy rail width and gorgeous location. Texas Giant is a bottom tier RMC (as to be expected from the prototype) with a very strong start and a very weak end, and certainly a few missed airtime spots around the layout.

I’m in the double digits for RMCs ridden now! Planning one more by the end of 2018 with Twisted Timbers this fall.

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
1 - Steel Vengeance - My days. That's it, perfection in a coaster, may as well pack up and go home. So difficult to pick a fave seat on this bad boy, even row 5 was utterly fantastic, but Front and Back give such different but amazing rides. Back destroys you through the whole thing, front destroys you in the first half but relaxes a bit for the 2nd half. Still can't believe such an experience exists.
2 - Lightning Rod - There is nothing about this coaster I would change. It's amazing, restraints are fine, buckets of airtime, excellent setting, killer first drop, every seat delivers a fantastic ride, launch is fast enough and there's even good merch!
3 - Storm Chaser - Glorious airtime and a great drop, back is where it's at for this one as the airtime is incredibly strong. Lacks the visuals from a good setting but dat airtime tho.
4 - Outlaw Run - Still holds up to it's newer brothers, both LR and OR have such incredible scenery it really adds something, a little on the shorter side but up until the rolls it's absolutely brilliant, I hate the 2nd roll though, hangy ****e.
5 - Goliath - Goliath dropped a bit after riding the ones above, it's excellent late at night, but nowhere near as good during the day. Back 2 rows at night are really brilliant though, especially the dive's headchoppers!
6 - Wildfire - Pacing is severely affected by the two slow points over the cliff on the roll and final "airtime hill", which ruins the 2nd half in all honesty, everything up to the roll over is incredible, if it kept up the pacing through the rest it would be much higher up the list.
7 - Wicked Cyclone - An incredible coaster in it's own right but when stacked against the ones above, it shows the flaws. Mainly the height issue, there just isn't enough speed through the course, even before the final circuit to the brakes where it's painfully slow. It does have quite a few fab moments though, including the drop, the twisted airtime hill by the camera and the wonderful Zero G.

New in Bold.
Woodies Vs Iron Horses have evened out now, the IH's have generally stronger ejector, but still to experience anything quite like LR's quad.
I'm very excited to see what happens with Robin Hood now, the latest IH's have been incredible!!!

Hutch

Strata Poster
I can now add Lightning Rod and Twisted Cyclone to the list. Ridden in bold.

1. Lightning Rod - The hype is strong with this one. Every element is incredible, and the quad down is probably the greatest element ever on a coaster.
2. Steel Vengeance - I mean, it probably should be on top. I'm still buzzing from Lightning Rod, it's just hard to see anything else above it.
3. Wildfire
4. Outlaw Run
5. Goliath
6. Twisted Timbers
7. Storm Chaser - Rode it when it was new and "slow," but still had great airtime. Maybe if I rode it again it could move up some spots.
8. Medusa
9. Railblazer
10. Wonder Woman
11. Twisted Cyclone - Only got one ride but very impressive. Great airtime and good pace. Again, if I rode it more it could move up.
12. Wicked Cyclone - My first RMC and still fantastic. There's quite a lot here, but the airtime isn't as good as the others. The pacing isn't the best but there isn't a bad element.
13. Twisted Colossus
14. Iron Rattler
15. Joker
16. New Texas Giant

RMC already has 16 creds? Damn.

RestlessRider

Roller Poster
1. Steel Vengeance - Blows away the competition.
2. Outlaw Run - A unique ride that uses the terrain to maximize the fun!
3. Twisted Timbers - Kind of boring in the front, but a completely different ride in the middle or back.
4. Wicked Cyclone - Really packs a lot of punch in a small footprint. Loses a little energy near the end, though.
5. Storm Chaser - Lots of great airtime and twists. The bunny hills near the end are a bit too jarring.
6. Lightning Rod - For some reason, this coaster just didn't do much for me. I liked it, but it didn't leave me with a big "wow" feeling.
7. Goliath - Definitely the weakest of the RMC collection. It's too short, and it just doesn't have the thrills of other RMCs.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
1. Wildfire - Although it loses pace a bit at the end, I do think this is the most forceful RMC I've done. Also, quite a few brilliant elements, especially at the start (the zero g stall cannot be emphasised enough <3)
2. Iron Rattler - The most surprising one, as I always thought it looked like the weakest. An amazing first drop, and a pretty cool layout jumping on and off the cliff. Had some great night rides on this one <3
3. Outlaw Run - Definitely the best-paced RMC, and its funky overbanks underneath the lifthill and after are awesome. Maybe a tad low on airtime though compared to the others?
4. Wicked Cyclone - I think I usually prefer the bigger, swooping RMCs, rather than the tightly twisted ones, but this one was fast and full of airtime pops. Its pacing is also impressive considering its size and length.
5. Goliath - I like this one because it's a bit different to the others in the execution of some of its elements. Probably has my fave RMC airtime hill too. Cheats a bit by ending so quickly though.
6. Joker - I found this to be similar to WC but perhaps with an inferior layout? I'm not sure, but it just didn't seem to flow as well or feel very special. Still, it was very good!
7. Twisted Colossus - I loved the blue track (first half), but the slowness of the second lift really does take the edge off. Also, the green section wasn't as good (bar the zero g stall), so it didn't end on as much of a high.
8. New Texas Giant - I feel bad putting this one last because I did have some great rides late in the day. However, I can't shake the memory of the comparably mediocre rides in the morning.

Some of the comments I made about these probably don’t hold out anymore with a new batch of RMCs e.g. Goliath probably doesn’t have my favourite RMC airtime hill anymore. But anyway, onto the updated rankings:

1. Twisted Timbers - OMG it’s god-near perfect! There is so much ridiculous airtime all the way through the ride; it’s totally relentless and throws you around everywhere, but in such an enjoyable way! It’s fast, it’s furious, it’s forceful, it’s unfoubtedly my favourite RMC to date and ranks #4 in my overall list. I’ve had smaller thrill coasters pack a big punch before, but this is another level. Also it was my first barrel roll drop and they’re fab <3.
2. Wildfire
3. Iron Rattler
4. Outlaw Run
5. Twisted Cyclone - I think this probably shares the title of “most surprising RMC” with Iron Rattler now. It may not have the best layout, but it’s executed perfectly and just keeps it coming with that crazy airtime. It just flows so well it’s an absolute joy, as well as a powerful experience. I’m going back for more just before we fly home and I hope I don’t regret saying any of this XD.
6. Wicked Cyclone
7. Goliath
8. The Joker
9. Lightning Rod - Sorry people! I can’t quite join the LR hype train and no one is more disappointed than me :( It’s a very good coaster that looks spectacular and uses the terrain very well, but it’s not quite the extreme, euphoric experience I was led to believe. Firstly, trimming the launch? Urgh, it’s a cool element but it’s basically a gimmick now rather than an effective part of the coaster. The quad-down is certainly excellent but the rest of the ride failed to make a big impression and by the time you reach the bottom of the mountain it’s like “oh, it’s already gonna be over soon, I want more?” Basically, it just left a little to be desired imo. It speeds through the elements like mad mostly but I never felt it was *that* extreme. It’s very exciting but I expected it to have a more passionate delivery of elements. Oh well.
10. Twisted Colossus
11. New Texas Giant

Last edited:

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Well, I just added all three of the 2018 conversions to my count over the last week. I'm still trying to process... things

1 Outlaw Run (based off 2 rides)
2 StormChaser (based off 6 rides)
3 (Dare I do this?) Steel Vengeance (based off 2 rides)
4 Wicked Cyclone (based off 4 rides)
5 Lightning Rod (based off 2 rides)
6 Twisted Timbers (based off 2 rides)
7 Twisted Cyclone (based off 3 rides)
8 New Texas Giant (based off 3 rides)
9 Twisted Colossus (based off 2 rides)

Snoo

The Legend
Some of the comments I made about these probably don’t hold out anymore with a new batch of RMCs e.g. Goliath probably doesn’t have my favourite RMC airtime hill anymore. But anyway, onto the updated rankings:

1. Twisted Timbers - OMG it’s god-near perfect! There is so much ridiculous airtime all the way through the ride; it’s totally relentless and throws you around everywhere, but in such an enjoyable way! It’s fast, it’s furious, it’s forceful, it’s unfoubtedly my favourite RMC to date and ranks #4 in my overall list. I’ve had smaller thrill coasters pack a big punch before, but this is another level. Also it was my first barrel roll drop and they’re fab <3.
2. Wildfire
3. Iron Rattler
4. Outlaw Run
5. Twisted Cyclone - I think this probably shares the title of “most surprising RMC” with Iron Rattler now. It may not have the best layout, but it’s executed perfectly and just keeps it coming with that crazy airtime. It just flows so well it’s an absolute joy, as well as a powerful experience. I’m going back for more just before we fly home and I hope I don’t regret saying any of this XD.
6. Wicked Cyclone
7. Goliath
8. The Joker
9. Lightning Rod - Sorry people! I can’t quite join the LR hype train and no one is more disappointed than me :( It’s a very good coaster that looks spectacular and uses the terrain very well, but it’s not quite the extreme, euphoric experience I was led to believe. Firstly, trimming the launch? Urgh, it’s a cool element but it’s basically a gimmick now rather than an effective part of the coaster. The quad-down is certainly excellent but the rest of the ride failed to make a big impression and by the time you reach the bottom of the mountain it’s like “oh, it’s already gonna be over soon, I want more?” Basically, it just left a little to be desired imo. It speeds through the elements like mad mostly but I never felt it was *that* extreme. It’s very exciting but I expected it to have a more passionate delivery of elements. Oh well.
10. Twisted Colossus
11. New Texas Giant
Well, I just added all three of the 2018 conversions to my count over the last week. I'm still trying to process... things

1 Outlaw Run (based off 2 rides)
2 StormChaser (based off 6 rides)
3 (Dare I do this?) Steel Vengeance (based off 2 rides)
4 Wicked Cyclone (based off 4 rides)
5 Lightning Rod (based off 2 rides)
6 Twisted Timbers (based off 2 rides)
7 Twisted Cyclone (based off 3 rides)
8 New Texas Giant (based off 3 rides)
9 Twisted Colossus (based off 2 rides)

tenor.gif

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
Current rankings until my Texas trip

1. Lightning Rod
2. Steel Vengeance
3. Storm Chaser (all three of these are in my Top 5 overall though)
4. Twisted Colossus
5. Goliath

PeteA

Roller Poster
I do find it interesting that some RMC's are rated highly for some and for others the same rides are down at the bottom of their list. I wonder if there is some correlation between riders dimensions and how high / low they rank?

I am 6ft 3in tall and just under 17stone and I found the ejector airtime on Twisted Timbers, Steel Vengeance and Storm Chaser way too painful on my thighs to the point where it physically was too painful to re-ride. Does the fact that my feet cannot be placed fully flat on the floor of the 3 rides mentioned above due to the restrictive shin pads, thrust me into the restraint more? Does this explain why Lightning Rod and Wildfire are ranked higher than Steel Vengeance for me, because the trains are more comfortable for me?

Likewise, I have never had to be stapled into an RMC, but my 17stone of timber will push me into the bar more than a 10st person would.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I do find it interesting that some RMC's are rated highly for some and for others the same rides are down at the bottom of their list. I wonder if there is some correlation between riders dimensions and how high / low they rank?
I'm certain that the majority of people who don't rank RMCs that high are due to size, either height or weight.
On the recent CF Live at CP, everyone except @Error ranked SV as their number one*, his reason was simply because he has to be stapled, and the restraint hurts. The less intense ones such as Wildfire/NTG would likely rank higher for him as he won't be ejected so forcefully. I think it's the same with height as well, as you say, the shin guards affect taller people a lot, so the excessive ejector becomes painful.

* @LiveForTheLaunch ranked it 2nd but only because she really doesn't want to be labelled basic ;)

Snoo

The Legend

I am 6ft 3in tall and just under 17stone and I found the ejector airtime on Twisted Timbers, Steel Vengeance and Storm Chaser way too painful on my thighs to the point where it physically was too painful to re-ride. Does the fact that my feet cannot be placed fully flat on the floor of the 3 rides mentioned above due to the restrictive shin pads, thrust me into the restraint more? Does this explain why Lightning Rod and Wildfire are ranked higher than Steel Vengeance for me, because the trains are more comfortable for me?

Likewise, I have never had to be stapled into an RMC, but my 17stone of timber will push me into the bar more than a 10st person would.

I'm about 16 stone around 6'0 and didn't have the problem however if your legs are VERY long and thick (I have some long legs myself), you could experience some pain. As DelPiero mentioned, Error did have that same problem however he's around 18 stone.

All that being said, everyone feels everything different. My prime example is SkyRush. I was not a fan due to the pain it caused my legs. Folks both larger and smaller then me loved it. Of course, none of them have the tree trunks for thighs so my pain was rightfully deserved. :p

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
1. Steel Vengeance
2. Wicked Cyclone
3. Twisted Timbers
I don't think any of them will go in my top 10 though, not even Steve. Yes, I said that.

Here me out...

I was expecting some ridiculous mindboggling experience on the RMCs as people had hyped them up so much (Steve will be your new number 1 etc etc) but I didn't find that they stood out compared to any other of the great coasters I did for the first time (MF, Skyrush etc). No out of body experience or anything like some seem to make it out to be. I am not a fan of the ejector bunnyhops they stick in EVERYWHERE, they just annoy me, are jerky and feel unnecessary. I also don't like those turns where it starts off going one way and then changes direction. If you have a body part in the wrong place it really hurts and those elements are just jerky and gross. Had to make sure I sat a certain way to avoid elbowing people in the face or the side of the train or whatever. I do like the zero g stalls, inversions and the swoopy bits though. I was so confused by my reaction but I just enjoyed loads of other things more so it wasn't a loss at all. All three of them are still great coasters.
/End of blasphemous post.

Snoo

The Legend
1. Steel Vengeance
2. Wicked Cyclone
3. Twisted Timbers
I don't think any of them will go in my top 10 though, not even Steve. Yes, I said that.

Here me out...

I was expecting some ridiculous mindboggling experience on the RMCs as people had hyped them up so much (Steve will be your new number 1 etc etc) but I didn't find that they stood out compared to any other of the great coasters I did for the first time (MF, Skyrush etc). No out of body experience or anything like some seem to make it out to be. I am not a fan of the ejector bunnyhops they stick in EVERYWHERE, they just annoy me, are jerky and feel unnecessary. I also don't like those turns where it starts off going one way and then changes direction. If you have a body part in the wrong place it really hurts and those elements are just jerky and gross. Had to make sure I sat a certain way to avoid elbowing people in the face or the side of the train or whatever. I do like the zero g stalls, inversions and the swoopy bits though. I was so confused by my reaction but I just enjoyed loads of other things more so it wasn't a loss at all. All three of them are still great coasters.
/End of blasphemous post.

It's always about what you like. Since you said MF blew your mind.. I mean.. thats all that needs to be said. :p

Nothing wrong not liking RMC's as long as you explain your case. I will say that I ALWAYS tell people to dehype rides before they ride them.. no matter what the hype is. I've seen it time and again with rides over the years (SkyRush, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Maverick.. the list goes on) that the first people who ride it and re-ride it love it while others who ride it later that year or the next don't see the "hype". If you let this mythical figure build up in your head, your setting yourself up for failure every single time.

While RMC's have, for the most part, stood the test of time, I do think SteVe will get that fatigue in time and those of us who rode it early will push back against those, similar to what I said before, because they didn't enjoy the ride simply because of hype.

/end mini rant not aimed at you SA. :D

hendrixmarshall

Roller Poster
After getting off of SV, I had to think about it. Getting off of LR I just frigging loved it. In my mind, if it has to be processed or thought about...then it's behind the ones you just love immediately.

Snoo

The Legend
After getting off of SV, I had to think about it. Getting off of LR I just frigging loved it. In my mind, if it has to be processed or thought about...then it's behind the ones you just love immediately.

See that's the thing.. there is nothing wrong with thinking about it. Some rides, like Lightning Rod, were very easy to love right away as the ride is relatively short, sweet, and powerful. Goliath, Storm Chaser and Outlaw Run all had those same feelings. SteVe, Wildfire, Wicked Cyclone.. rides with more to them.. will take several rides. I mentioned it before but for me.. it was SO much to process without any prior knowledge. You just can't think about everything as it hits you SO fast and so intense. Once I rode it again, I knew easily it was better (ranking wise) then other rides as well as being my new favorite coaster.

Just because you think about it doesn't mean it's bad or worse. Think objectively and don't let arbitrary things such as hype determine your final thoughts.

FYI: I know I've been kinda nitpicky in this thread but I had a feeling this would happen tbh. While it is my favorite, I did specific things to AVOID disappointment as I mentioned before. I just want everyone to be sure they do the same to get their true feelings on it. Much love <3

iac17

Mega Poster
update:
1)Steel Vengeance
2)Storm Chaser
3)Goliath Sfgam
4)Twisted Colossus
5)Lightning rod (it's shaky and the trims kill the first drop)