What's new

Raising Tuition Fees

Should Tuition Fees Be Raised?

• Yes, bring a higher quality of education

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it'll ruin campus culture forever and make people think twice about University

• Not particuarly bothered, already graduated/not thinking about it

• Total voters
^A London Uni to do History, you say...? Which one would this be?

Also, London really isn't as expensive as everyone seems to make out. Apart from rent, that is. And the experience is amazing <3

See, Ben can easily justify his fee's. Dave struggles to. And I can't see where the money goes :S

How much is the camera Dave is borrowing at the moment worth? How much does it cost to run the studios he uses to process photos? How much did the mainframe system cost to run his user accounts at uni (£100 in license fees at least I'll bet)?

Until you actually know exactly where the money goes, you can't really comment. £3,000 to keep a student going doesn't actually go very far ;)

Ben, when I left uni it was £13,000 salary before pay back. I had an old loan though, but it went up with inflation + a few percent (what they reckon everyone should get as a pay rise). By the time I'd been working ten years, it was up to over £25k. Might be different now of course :)

Ben said:

UCL, providing I get AAA... I selected it over York as my first choice as any university who has a dead guy in the main lobby has to be pretty awesome.

Also, London really isn't as expensive as everyone seems to make out. Apart from rent, that is. And the experience is amazing <3

Ya, thankfully my Mum's quite happy for me to go to London as she did the same so that sorta helps with the financial side. It actually felt alive unlike other unis I looked at, which were pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Still desperately need a job this Summer though to help afford the social side. I can barely afford it now in frikkin' Cornwall as it is.

Ketchup said:
Ben said:

UCL, providing I get AAA... I selected it over York as my first choice as any university who has a dead guy in the main lobby has to be pretty awesome.

AWESOME.

UCL is the best Uni for history ever. I should know, it's where I go :wink:

Actually, next year, we should be starting a History Society (providing we get the go-ahead since we don't have one yet), so come to Fresher's and with any luck I should be there on the stand handing out information, so come see me and join up. It's free wine after all talks and a load of nights out <3

You'll love it here, I couldn't have asked for a better Uni. Well, I wish we'd had a History Society for this year, but, that should be sorted out and you can thank me and my friends for that :wink:

Sounds awesome!
Don't get much more awesome than free wine and History in Central London lolz.

I'll make sure to do that come September/October! (Providing I get in!)

EDIT: Out of interest, I have to pick my first year hall soon, what would you recommend Ramsey Hall or Ifor Evans Hall? I really have no idea!

furie said:
How much is the camera Dave is borrowing at the moment worth? How much does it cost to run the studios he uses to process photos? How much did the mainframe system cost to run his user accounts at uni (£100 in license fees at least I'll bet)?

Until you actually know exactly where the money goes, you can't really comment. £3,000 to keep a student going doesn't actually go very far ;)

Well in terms of my course, I get taught very little, lecture slides from textbooks I can view anytime, an understocked library, shocking computer facilities and a distinct lack of anything resembling decent parking :p

But hey, the student union got a new pool table ;)

Ketchup said:
EDIT: Out of interest, I have to pick my first year hall soon, what would you recommend Ramsey Hall or Ifor Evans Hall? I really have no idea!

I couldn't actually tell you out of those two. Really, if they're the same price there will be very little in ways of a quality difference between the two. But, I've heard Ramsey is more social and it's in a better location. Are they both catered?

I'm in James Lighthill which is nice, but expensive and full of internationals who ignore you... I've got a friend in Shaefer who pays £45 less a week than me, has a bigger and nicer room, and is a quarter of the distance to Uni...

To be honest, they're all pretty much the same, but, don't bother getting an expensive en-suite, not worth it!

Ben said:
UCL is the best Uni for history ever. I should know, it's where I go :wink:

Actually, next year, we should be starting a History Society (providing we get the go-ahead since we don't have one yet)

wow, the other universities must be pretty bad for History if yours in the best and you don't even have a History society...

Anyway, Furie, about the loan repayment, the current rules are that you pay 9% of your annual salary over £15,000. That would mean that someone working for 40 years after university only needs to earn an average of £25,000 to repay a loan of £36,000 (ignoring inflation :) ).

I personally think that if you don't think your earning potential will be over that when you graduate that you should be taking the loan in the first place. The holistic experience that you gain at university can be invaluable and many people value it more than their degree, but at the same time, further education is not a right, too many people go to unversity as it is, which has left the UK a country of middle managers.

If you genuinely have an interest in a subject, then you can always take an open university course. If you just want to go and drunk every night, fine, but don't do it on taxpayers money. They can't increase the tuition fees enough in my opinion.l

Another problem is the amount of people who are going to university and doing a degree WITHOUT any intention in following the subject as a career, they are only doing it to have a degree. There are definatley people on my course who are only doing photography to do a degree and because its 'easy'. These freeloaders are the people who should be kicked out of university and stop sponging!

You raise a good point, in that it'll mean 90% of the ****s on my course who came with no intention of getting a degree and putting the work in won't be there, and thus I won't end up having to endure hour after hour of stupid bimbos and chav twats mouthing off and talking over the lecturer about how pissed they were/are/will be.

Just had a chat with Smithy about this.

On my course there are 5 people who are freeloading on the course, if they went it save £87k on debt.
On Smithy's course it would save around £1.3m

Dave said:
Another problem is the amount of people who are going to university and doing a degree WITHOUT any intention in following the subject as a career, they are only doing it to have a degree. There are definatley people on my course who are only doing photography to do a degree and because its 'easy'. These freeloaders are the people who should be kicked out of university and stop sponging!

So, subjects such as philosophy or classics, which if taught at a good standard are not easy disciplines, should be abolished? Even though these courses consitently produce the best graduates who have a complete skill set and are very sought after by top firms.

But then what about subjects such as archaeology? There isn't a pressing demand for archaeologists compared to the amount of people achieving a degree in the subject, but if these numbers were whittled down, then departments wouldn't be funded properly, even with exorbitant fees. Eventually all departments would have to close and the cultural loss of not having any archaeologists would probably be greater than the savings made on tuition. It's far better to have these courses operating, and geared towards teaching transferable skills to the students (albeit with a high tuition fee to reduce the number of people at university to stave off getting a job).

But surely subjects such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology must stay, even though most people who do those (myself included) subjects do not have a career in that field. Most people I know in that situation took their degree fully expecting to get a career in that line of work, yet spent their time at university being systematically worn down and becoming embittered against their chosen subject - perhaps due to the appalling funding of UK universities.

wow, the other universities must be pretty bad for History if yours in the best and you don't even have a History society...

It's because our Uni has a thing against subject/department-specific societies. They believe anyone with an interest should be allowed to join the society. Hence, there isn't a History society because everyone for some reason seems to think if there was one, it would be departmental. Hence, we've striven to make our application clear in its promotion of opening it to anyone, and only 4 of the people listed on the petition actually do History :p

(although I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I said we were the best, I think it's actually 3rd :()