What's new

"Prowler" - GCI Woodie for Worlds of Fun

A

Anonymous

airtime on prowler

In response to the previous post regarding the ack of airtime due to small bunny hills:

yeah seriously, have you never ridden a terrain woodie before, or any woodie for that matter. The biggest feature of any wooden coaster is the airtime. It does not matter the height of a coasters hills, more the speed of the train when it crests that hill. 52 MPH is a very fast speed to hit small bunny hills at which pretty much garuntees non stop ejector airtime. Come on man, its simple physics.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Re: airtime on prowler

Coasterpunk sd said:
In response to the previous post regarding the ack of airtime due to small bunny hills:

yeah seriously, have you never ridden a terrain woodie before, or any woodie for that matter. The biggest feature of any wooden coaster is the airtime. It does not matter the height of a coasters hills, more the speed of the train when it crests that hill. 52 MPH is a very fast speed to hit small bunny hills at which pretty much garuntees non stop ejector airtime. Come on man, its simple physics.

True, never thought of that!

Oo that looks pretty nice! I like the looks of twister wooden coasters with airtime thrown in the mix, and the fact that it goes through the trees and hugs the terrain makes it look even better. So, hopefully this won't disappoint!

That being said, I think it'll be good, but nothing like a top five or so woodie. I do like the name and logo though.

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
Listening to an interview with the park on "In The Loop" he made it sound like as many trees as possible are gonna stay there. In that case it would be a really great night ride. Another interesting thing though is that in the video posted on their site it shows the lift hill going towards Mamba when it really is going out towards the parking lot. Just a marketing reason that they did that.

In my opinion it looks pretty great. I think that all the low to ground action should be really great and I'm not worried about pacing at all because on Renegade and Lightning Racer the pacing was great. GCI definitely is doing some good stuff with their coasters.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
[quote="valleyfair!']Listening to an interview with the park on "In The Loop" he made it sound like as many trees as possible are gonna stay there. In that case it would be a really great night ride.[/quote] Not to be stingy, but the close proximity of trees makes for a better daytime ride.

What makes for a good night ride is utter darkness, the likes you find on Beast where you literally are in the middle of the woods with not a single light to be found.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^The thick foliage would block out a lot of light though. Sure, it won't get it all, but it'll be a lot.

Snoo

The Legend
I don't know about keeping a lot of trees.. because look at the site.. NOTHING is left.

Boulder Dash and Beast are the best two examples, with Beast having it grown in during the last 30 years.. and BD being built that way.

Both are fantastic examples of what you SHOULD do with terrain coasters.

Diamondback won't be even in that league though.

A

Anonymous

Re: airtime on prowler

Coasterpunk sd said:

Only thing is airtime is not the focus of most GCIs. And until I ride one with some actual airtime, I'm not going believe that they have any. The one in Germany looks like it gives airitme lovers some hope though :wink:

I will hand it to GCI though....the work they did with Boulder Dash was great 8)

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
They may not have the blatant traditional airtime hills, but a fair amount of GCIs have quite a bit of airtime. Thunderhead, for example, has airtime everywhere... in and out of most corners and in between some of the larger elements. There's more airtime in that then in most other coasters.. even some that are designed specifically for airtime. Like I said earlier, from the POV you can see their unique shaping of corners, which will provide a ton of airtime in this one. Some of the others may not look like the have airtime, when there's really a ton. This one looks like it has airtime, so those two things combined together should make this very good.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Yeah, you're correct for the most part-- I'm talking about the newer stuff in Renegade, Troy, Thunderhead, KY Rumbler, etc.

Snoo

The Legend
That is something that always put me off about GCI.. airtime. People who love airtime just aren't in love with their rides.. and I confess.. I am one of them.

I wish though they would incorporate a bit more.. much as GG have done with RFII for example. A great mix of twists and turns with great airtime.

A

Anonymous

I know GCI probably is REALLY good, but the four I've been on (Wildcat, LRT, LRL, and Roar) either suck or are just smooth rides with no substance. IMO that is not a world class coaster.

The POV of Prowler looks different - a lot of directional changes and not many elevation changes. It should fly through the course, but I still think Plohn or wherever holds my hopes for GCI.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
For those dirt moving fans with footer fetishes.

http://prowler.worldsoffun.com/public/l ... &maxRow=15

It's hard to tell if Worlds of Fun is trying to preserve the tree count.

They have cleared out some big patches, such as the turn around, but in other portions appear to have minimum tree removal.

DSCN2421.JPG

I guess time will tell if they do stick to their promise.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Back to footers after several rides on slab. I guess the terrain integration dictated that.

Fantastic pattern so far. Should be a cool turnaround. I'm hoping they'll plant some trees in the center of that like the rendering, but I'm not holding out. It should be pretty cool as it is, though... they seem to be doing a decent job.