CF Legend
Re: Proper Football (y'know, with your foot and a ball) Thre

furie said:
So carry on people and discuss the game, teams, managers, etc, etc ,etc :D

NO! *Throws grouchy dummy*

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Honestly, if Stoke do carry on with their "anti-Football" then i hope they get relegated this year, I can understand going ultra defensive against a top attacking team but it seems to me they play the same against Fulham as they do against Chelsea. (I will admit that this is based on highlights rather than watching the full match as I don't watch 90 mins apart from my team/CL matches.)
However, if they change the style and get the ball on the deck more and have less of the over physical stuff we've seen then good luck to them.

Personally I think they need to sort the midfield out, they don't seem to have any confidence in using the midfield to hold possession and create chances. Maybe with better build up play Jones may wake up a bit.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster

delpiero1982 said:
Honestly, if Stoke do carry on with their "anti-Football" then i hope they get relegated this year, I can understand going ultra defensive against a top attacking team but it seems to me they play the same against Fulham as they do against Chelsea. (I will admit that this is based on highlights rather than watching the full match as I don't watch 90 mins apart from my team/CL matches.)
However, if they change the style and get the ball on the deck more and have less of the over physical stuff we've seen then good luck to them.

Personally I think they need to sort the midfield out, they don't seem to have any confidence in using the midfield to hold possession and create chances. Maybe with better build up play Jones may wake up a bit.

The thing is we have actually got players who can play football. N'zonzi, Pennant, Jerome, all quick and not afraid to take on defenders. But Pulis has upset two of them and doesn't play the last one enough. We need two wingers and a quick striker.

TP was too defensive and as soon as we went 1-0 up it was batten down the hatches. Hopefully Hughes will get to know the team's strengths and weaknesses throughout the summer as we have got players who can actually play football and not boot it up :lol: .

Soooo anyway.... What's everyones feeling towards having Jose back in the Prem and maybe Ronaldo too?

DelPiero

Strata Poster

I do hope so grape, I have no ill feelings towards the club, just the brand of footy.

Jose - would have preferred him to have gone to another club in all honesty, probably a bit selfish as I think Chelsea have a real shot with him at the helm and will probably deny spurs a CL spot again.
Would love to see Ronaldo back at any club though, such a fantastic player.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

nealbie said:
(which isn't like the World Series and people from places that aren't America can play) and can anyone stop the bloody Germans?! :p

You mean like a team from Canada that can play in the World Series and that has won it twice in the 90's, in a league where over 28% is foreign born. You sure showed us.

BBH

Giga Poster

Go Swindon!

I know absolutely nothing about football.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Pierre said:
As for my team, if it would have been any other manager but Mowbray last season he would have been sacked. We picked up 12 points out of a possible 60 in the second half of the season
I don't follow too much of the championship until the last month of the season (as it's always nice n tight going into the final few games for the playoffs), but I listen to the radio every morning so hear the results on the way to work.

You guys had a pretty good 1st half of the season last year didn't you? I think that up until Christmas you were in the playoff places right?

Colossus

Giga Poster

I don't follow The Premier League too closely as I'm with Pierre in The Championship boat

I find it's all a bit to predictable, however, I'm really looking forward to this transfer window and next season, due mainly to the mount of managerial changes going on right now, Manchester United / City, Chelsea, Everton, Stoke etc, also in Europe, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Inter, Napoli all having new managers, it will be interesting to see how these new managers in new teams attempt to build their squads. Especially Mourinho.
Hopefully with a few big name moves and the Taggart era now finished, we could possibly have an interesting season next year?
3 of the 4 longest serving PL managers have now moved on pastures new.

As for my Watford or Udinese B as we get called, I think we will struggle to emulate our success of the season, unless we can permanently sign the likes of Vydra, Abdi, Anya and Chalobah, and hopefully we can resign Doyley and Almunia? The Championship is a nightmare to get out of, and having success one year, does not necessarily mean you will repeat the feat next year.

The league is also clamping down on loan players from abroad, because of what we did this season, which tbf is a good thing, I would rather have the stability of players under contract than just playing to develop their future careers at Udinese, but I'm claiming this new rule as "The Watford Rule" ;)

Pierre

Strata Poster

delpiero1982 said:
Pierre said:
As for my team, if it would have been any other manager but Mowbray last season he would have been sacked. We picked up 12 points out of a possible 60 in the second half of the season
I don't follow too much of the championship until the last month of the season (as it's always nice n tight going into the final few games for the playoffs), but I listen to the radio every morning so hear the results on the way to work.

You guys had a pretty good 1st half of the season last year didn't you? I think that up until Christmas you were in the playoff places right?

The league table after we beat Blackpool 4-2 in our last game of 2012 is on the right hand side of this link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20823204

The final league table is on this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/table

Unbelievable and very upsetting to take. It's left a sour taste with Boro fans. Anything the club put out at the moment, positive or negative, the reaction is generally negative. :(

Colossus

Giga Poster

^ That's crazy to think you ended up 1 less 2 goal win away from 20th. Also in the first table, we had the same GD.

I think you guys will be fine next year though.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

That is an epic collapse indeed.
At least you survived the drop, expectations for next season?

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

All about Cambridge United next year! Several new signings! It's time to climb out of the hardest league and back where we belong.

Colossus

Giga Poster

ATTACKHAMMER said:
All about Cambridge United next year! Several new signings! It's time to climb out of the hardest league and back where we belong.

Hardest league? I don't remember Cambridge United being in The Championship last season?

Blue Sq premier is not hard, you have that L*t*n scum in your division.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

Colossus said:
ATTACKHAMMER said:

Hardest league? I don't remember Cambridge United being in The Championship last season?

Blue Sq premier is not hard, you have that L*t*n scum in your division.

It is hard. Only two teams go up from the Blue Square the winner and the play off winner while in the Championship has three teams go up :wink:

I also don't believe the Championship has teams which put everyone back and play for a draw and some of the worst match officials there are, I really don't know where they get them from :lol:

It's true Luton are in it but they have money, Cambridge have little money even though they have some of the highest attendances in the league. Most Championship teams have money they get it from tv, big gates and quite rich owners. Do Cambridge or almost any of the teams in the league get that? No.

Colossus

Giga Poster

ATTACKHAMMER said:
It's true Luton are in it but they have money, Cambridge have little money even though they have some of the highest attendances in the league. Most Championship teams have money they get it from tv, big gates and quite rich owners. Do Cambridge or almost any of the teams in the league get that? No.

Luton don't have squat, I remember like 5 years ago went they got relegated from League 2 they were spouting all this crap about them now being the "Manchester United" of non-league football, Well no not really as they haven't even come close to promotion in 4 seasons, they're more like the Everton of non-league, shoe-in 6th or 7th place team ;)

Yeah all that money, attendance, owners stuff is all good, but that means nothing does it, because all the teams in The Championship have those things, which why I say it's the toughest division, because there's more equality in that division than any other, anybody can finish anywhere, look at Wolves get relegated, Peterborough United got relegated with like 56 points, that's incredible that you can tally that amount of points and get relegated.

Don't think I'm knocking The Conference because I'm not, I'm just saying The Championship is the toughest to progress in because most of the teams are near equal.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

Colossus said:
ATTACKHAMMER said:

Luton don't have squat, I remember like 5 years ago went they got relegated from League 2 they were spouting all this crap about them now being the "Manchester United" of non-league football, Well no not really as they haven't even come close to promotion in 4 seasons, they're more like the Everton of non-league, shoe-in 6th or 7th place team ;)

Yeah all that money, attendance, owners stuff is all good, but that means nothing does it, because all the teams in The Championship have those things, which why I say it's the toughest division, because there's more equality in that division than any other, anybody can finish anywhere, look at Wolves get relegated, Peterborough United got relegated with like 56 points, that's incredible that you can tally that amount of points and get relegated.

Don't think I'm knocking The Conference because I'm not, I'm just saying The Championship is the toughest to progress in because most of the teams are near equal.

Luton are Man City compared to Cambridge :cry: I'm glad Peterborough went down, let that continue! :--D

Pierre

Strata Poster

delpiero1982 said:
That is an epic collapse indeed.
At least you survived the drop, expectations for next season?

Has to be at least play-offs, then in saying that, I think if we made play-offs and didn't go up he'd still have to go, so promotion.

They've always give Tony a long time as he had a **** squad assembled by Gordon **** Strachan. It's now his team, if he fails, it's his own doing.

Capital One Cup 1st Round Draw today and Boro, who have been drawn away in the past TWELVE league cup draws, finally get a home tie against the mighty Accrington Stanley (who are they?!) :?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Pierre said:
Capital One Cup 1st Round Draw today

Was it? Wonder why I didn't know it was coming up....

Hey, at least we'll reach the second round this year :lol: