What's new

POVs that do not do justice to the ride - at all

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
We've all heard and read the words 'the POV doesn't do it justice', and indeed, very often expectations when watching a ride on Youtube differ from the actual experience.

What were the most striking rides that really weren't what you expected from the POVs?

Luca B

Mega Poster
We've all heard and read the words 'the POV doesn't do it justice', and indeed, very often expectations when watching a ride on Youtube differ from the actual experience.

What were the most striking rides that really weren't what you expected from the POVs?
I would have to say Karnan, from the POVs it looks quite boring and tamed compared to the insane ride that it actually provides. The POVs of it just don’t seem to capture the strong and unique airtime of the ride and the ridiculously snappy transitions.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Any indoor ride. Cameras are never able to accurately image the track layouts so often leave just a black screen showing nothing.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
TWISTED TIMBERS! It looked so, so crappy in the official POV Kings Dominion released... but I guess that's what happens when you film one of the first test rides on a new coaster in winter-like conditions. I was absolutely blown away by the ride, based on how I thought it would ride... based off the POV (and the fact the animation made less-than-excited me)

cookie

Giga Poster
Any indoor ride. Cameras are never able to accurately image the track layouts so often leave just a black screen showing nothing.
Even lights on/night vision POVs make them look a lot tamer than they feel once you ride them. The inability to brace yourself when you can't see two feet ahead of you adds a lot to the experience.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I don't think any POVs do a ride justice beforehand as it kicks off all that anticipation of 'this bit is gonna do this to me, and that bit is gonna do that'. I'd rather be surprised by it all.

I prefer to watch back afterwards and remember how good each bit was instead. So from that - poorly filmed woodies can make them look pretty awful:

Snoo

The Legend
To be honest? Most rides with airtime. You can never get a good feel for how good it is. Those mega airtime machines with floater like Phenoix or any GOOD B&M Hyper come to mind.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Similar to Snoo, first thought was always anything with airtime because it's just impossible to explain it to people who don't really know coasters why you like something so much.

Balder was the first that came to mind but that's probably because I've tried to explain to people why I like it so much and POV's don't really do it justice. Likewise with Shambala.

Think you could also throw sensation of speed into the same category - Taron, for example

_dezaster_

Roller Poster
Mindbender @ Six Flags over Georgia
It already sucks that its an incredibly overshadowed ride but I can't help but admit this POV makes it look like an awful/painful/shakey/slow coaster.

cookie

Giga Poster
Ultimate! Hahaha. Always been the one ride you just cannot understand through video alone. Firstly because getting a good video is next to bloody impossible. Secondly because it'll either look boring or painful. No pov really captures the insanity of that stupid ride.
I think the camera lens is skewing the actual angles, because it looks like it's picking up and losing speed at stretches where it would make no sense for it to.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
None of them do really. I guess the difference is that with enthusiasts, we can usually look at a POV and be able to gauge it quite well based on similar rides/elements/experiences. Someone without that previous knowledge is less likely to "get" a POV I guess.

I rarely watch them if I'm honest.

Matt N

CF Legend
I will definitely agree with those who say that coasters with airtime don't look anything like they ride on POVs; Mako looked quite uninteresting from a POV and it made me a bit unsure as to whether I was going to like airtime more than inversions, but when I actually rode it, the airtime was insane and it became my number 1 coaster! That proved to me that B&M hypers are very much a ride type that you don't get unless you ride one!

I'd also say that Wicker Man and Icon both ride substantially better than they look to ride from POVs.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
All Mack Launchers appear much worse than they actually are in POVs. The only one that has good pacing in it's POV is Helix, but in return, its launches just look like straight track where nothing is happening.

cookie

Giga Poster
Colorado Adventure imo is one. The POVs fail to convey just how sharp those turns really are and the single lap bars really add to it.

Last edited:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think the camera lens is skewing the actual angles, because it looks like it's picking up and losing speed at stretches where it would make no sense for it to.
I mean honestly, that's probably the most accurately conveyed part of the ride on film. It doesn't make any sense.