What's new

Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

Re: "Shambhala", B&M Hyper, Port Aventura 2012

Pokemaniac said:
Actually, I think the answer might be "both". It looks like it crosses over itself as well as Khan in that spot, and I don't think the hill under the lift hill would be tall enough to go over Khan's, so I guess Shambala's lift will go over Khan's, while it will dive under Khan's lift on the return trip.

Sure to make Khan's lift even more exciting, in other words.

Cool, I hope you're right and it is both! I was first very dubious about putting this thing next to Khan, I didn't want it to be overshadowed (literally) because DK is so beautiful just the way it is! But... I'm starting to love the thought of the interaction, and like you said, should make khan even better!

DarrenBloomfield said:
I think its just the way the picture was taken, sunset, angle etc. As far as im aware DK hasn't closed yet as its halloween season so they wouldn't have a chance to paint it. If its going to get a paint job then i would bet my last tenner on it happening before park re-opening next year.

Ahhh I think you might be right. I had a look at some pics on RCDB and in fact some of the pics make the supports look white. I think a paint job will be in order though, because even if DK is a only a little bit faded, it will look really bad next to a brand new coaster.

To those wondering about the paintjob on Khan:
- No. Khan hasn't been repainted YET. With the opening of the new ride Khan will be repainted to shine as red as if it was new.
- The supports are not white. They are VERY light blue. In fact, the aim of the colour scheme of the supports was to integrate them with the sky in a sunny day so that the red stood out even more. Granted the paint both from the supports and track has faded away...

I am sure the interaction will be amazing but I am not crazy about the sight of a bigger lifthill overshadowing Khan.

oriolat2 said:
I am sure the interaction will be amazing but I am not crazy about the sight of a bigger lifthill overshadowing Khan.

I can't agree anymore with you to be totally honest with you, it's simple due to when you're heading to the park, Khan looks HUGE, with it's position, atop the hill, it really does have a big, bold statement for the park. It's great. Now, I can't help but feel sad when this is going to DWARF Khan.

I like the name Shambhala! I looked into it and apparently Shambhala is a hidden kingdom in Tibetan mythology. The Kingdom is said to hold the spring of youth and only Dalai lama knows where it is. I think it's very clever thinking of Port Aventura, just like with their other attractions! Hurakan (Condor) is the Mayan god of wind, storm and fire, Dragon Khan is a chinese prince reincarnated as a dragon and (Furius) Baco is the Catalonian god of wine. I think Shambhala is an excellent name fitting PA's naming traditions, even if it's rather hard to pronounce..

If anybody has played the PS3 game, Uncharted 2, that revolves around Shambhala, which they also reference as Shangri la. Similar to Atlantis, or El dorado.

I can see this ride being themed very similarly to Expedition Everest, in terms of architecture anyway.

Crazycoaster said:
If anybody has played the PS3 game, Uncharted 2, that revolves around Shambhala, which they also reference as Shangri la. Similar to Atlantis, or El dorado.

I can see this ride being themed very similarly to Expedition Everest, in terms of architecture anyway.

I won't be complaining about that, I'd be more then happy to be honest. I don't know if it will though, simply because that's a Tibetan theme, where as this is going in the China area. Unless, they do have another area added to the park, although if they do, and have just one coaster as an "Area", I don't see the point. Unless they change the "China" area to overall, "Asia".

The Happy Valley parks have a proper hard on for Shangri La as well, the SLC in Shenzhen is themed to it, so is the new Bullet Coaster I THINK. And, some other stuff. It's all around.

Sounds like a perfect theme for just behind the China area. You could EASILY blend China and Tibet into "one". Maybe just rename China the Far East or something.

^^As I wrote two posts earlier Shambhala is a kingdom in Tibetan mythology. So if the name is indeed Shambhala, the ride will be themed to Tibet. And for the record Tibet is officially a part of China. Therefore I personally think it'll fit perfectly with the Tibetan Himalaya mountains in the back of the China section of the park! :--D

-lofty- said:
Crazycoaster said:

I won't be complaining about that, I'd be more then happy to be honest. I don't know if it will though, simply because that's a Tibetan theme, where as this is going in the China area. Unless, they do have another area added to the park, although if they do, and have just one coaster as an "Area", I don't see the point. Unless they change the "China" area to overall, "Asia".

In fact, there's this wild rumour going around that China might become Asia with the addition of Shambhala. This would make sense and would open the range of possible themeing for next rides (India, Japan, etc.).

BTW, have I mentioned the possibility that the new coaster might be paired up with a flat ride? Some suggest that PA might overhaul the old Huss Rainbow "El trono de Pakal" from Mexico and give it a new breath of life under an Asian theme. Personally, I don't think that's going to happen because; a) I think that this ride was scrapped, b) who buys or keeps Huss Rainbows? They have proven to be complete disasters when it comes to maintenance (that's why PA took its away) not to mention the accidents (hi, Liseberg!).

andrus said:
^^As I wrote two posts earlier Shambhala is a kingdom in Tibetan mythology. So if the name is indeed Shambhala, the ride will be themed to Tibet. And for the record Tibet is officially a part of China. Therefore I personally think it'll fit perfectly with the Tibetan Himalaya mountains in the back of the China section of the park! :--D

Yeah, just the same way as Hong Kong is in China? Um, wait, Isn't it a principality? Therefore, kind of it's own country? BEN, we need you...

I know what Shangri La is, I'm not a moron, I know about different cultures and their mythology, it's one thing I had to study as part of an attraction I ran a while back...

^Haha ok! I was just trying to clearify things :wink: And Tibet is officially a part of China, but is an autonomous region much like Hong Kong. And Tibet is situated within the borders of China, so no matter how you se it, it's a "part of" China. That's why it'll fit nice into the park imo :)

-lofty- said:
oriolat2 said:

I can't agree anymore with you to be totally honest with you, it's simple due to when you're heading to the park, Khan looks HUGE, with it's position, atop the hill, it really does have a big, bold statement for the park. It's great. Now, I can't help but feel sad when this is going to DWARF Khan.

I know what you mean. I remember when I went to PA for the first time two years ago, when the car drove from Tarragona to Salou, looking out the window to see the beauty of DK on the right was quite simply mind blowing. I'm hoping that this will be a suitably epic replacement to DK's impact on the skyline.

I'll tell you one thing though - seeing them both together as a silhouette in the sky will be something quite special. The twists of DK with the addition of Shambhala's hills will surely be something worth seeing?

Tibet is more of a part of China than Hong Kong is. Hong Kong is also a Special Administrative Region, which means it has its own laws, which isn't true of Tibet. Tibet is an autonomous province, but all that means is that it's an administrative region of China. Which is true of Hong Kong, but, it has its own laws, governance, currancy and borders - hence its a different country whilst Tibet IS in China. Actually IN China.

I'd say Tibet is more akin to Wales really. Which is IN the United Kingdom, which is the country. And then England is China. And Scotland doesn't exist.

HOWEVER.

It has a significantly different culture to China, and whilst they could get away with plopping it straight in China, I'd rather they renamed it the Far East. Either way, to be sort of, at the back of China does still make perfect sense thematically wise, and I actually think it's really clever.

I'm still not sold on it being plonked over Khan either, but, **** it. We're getting an awesome looking B&M Hyper. I'll get over how it looks.

^ hm interestingly, I agree.
Over Khan wasnt necessarily the best place to put the ride IMO. But Im sure it'll actually end up looking pretty cool.
Plus, its PA, so theyre bound to add some pretty decent theming and whatnot to the ride - it seems like there will be tunnels and a splashdown, so thats a plus.

I actually think it'll make an amazing backdrop for Khan.. If the ride is going to be themed around Tibet, the hills of the coaster could almost represent the Hymalayas, a perfect thing to go behind the chinese part of the park.

D1993 said:
^ hm interestingly, I agree.

Not so much..

Over Khan wasnt necessarily the best place to put the ride IMO. But Im sure it'll actually end up looking pretty cool.
Plus, its PA, so theyre bound to add some pretty decent theming and whatnot to the ride - it seems like there will be tunnels and a splashdown, so thats a plus.

Right, thing is, I doubt it having a Splashdown, I don't know why, my gut feeling says it won't. Plus, I don't see what the big fuss if with these, yeah, they may look alright off the ride but they don't add ANYTHING to the ride experience apart from slowing the train ever-so-slightly...

^ You can get your arm wet if you sit in the back on the ends. That is it outside of visuals.

Switching between the hideouts'...

A use from PAC has posted a picture of the park's skyline after the coaster sits next to Khan.

th720_panoramica_PA_2_1319575602.jpg

Not only Khan is completely dwarfed, but it seems non-existant unless you pay attention to it. I really think it's sad to see such a good coaster visually smashed by a steel monster like Shambhala. Don't get me wrong; PA is stepping in the right direction adding a much needed and supposedly good ride to their line-up but, seriously, next to Khan? :(

omg, that picture has just made me realise the helix might be like Apollo's Chariot's, but tighter.

squeeeeee

And yeah, it totally ruins Khan. But, whatever. Khan's still THERE. If they were actually ripping Khan out it'd be different. OMG, can you imagine.

I really don't get the whole hate over it ruining Khan's image. The coaster has had it's YEARS of being the signature ride and skyline. It's not going to diminish what Khan did for PA at all.

I really like the look of what the new skyline will look like. I honestly think it enhances the skyline, and makes them a strong duo.