What's new

Popular food & drink trends you don’t get?

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
51885575388_1cff555f26.jpg

EUUUURGH! That looks like watered down bean juice!!

I totally get why people don't like coffee or alcohol, but...

I can't understand how people don't like bacon - I thought even vegans craved the stuff!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Without wishing to prompt an unnecessary “food / drinks you like” thread:

- For those looking for a seriously awesome cup of coffee (whilst not splashing out for a pressurised espresso machine), I recommend you look into buying an ‘Aeropress’: https://www.aeropress.co.uk/

^ This is not at all gimmicky. A really worthy investment for all coffee lovers!

- Gousto boxes and the like (where you get sent all ingredients) are the future. It again sounds gimmicky but you’ll end up eating a variety of fresh, tasty things without ever having to even think about hunting down ingredients or accruing excess food waste. The cost difference is nominal and is greatly offset by the variety.

Last edited:
Even though I enjoy the odd beer more power to you for not drinking mate! Not drinking will help you remember the good times better and process the hard times in a healthier way. Plus, riding coasters on a hangover can be a pretty gruelling experience!

As for food trends I don't get, over the last few years there seems to be this obsession with "skin-on fries"; as if the chef doing less pealing makes them somewhat gourmet.

I also struggle with any hot food combined with crisps. Things like Tacos and Nachos seem a bit pointless to me as any hot or moist food ruins the structural integrity and crunch in no time at all. The one exception is the Taco Bell Crunchwrap. Installing the crisp above the salad and away from the beef mince is a genius move. This is innovation people.

Sandman

Giga Poster
EUUUURGH! That looks like watered down bean juice!!

I totally get why people don't like coffee or alcohol, but...

I can't understand how people don't like bacon - I thought even vegans craved the stuff!

I'm not sure what weird coffee you drink, but that's literally a regular coffee with milk 😂

Don't tell me you like it as dark as a hangover ****?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm not sure what weird coffee you drink, but that's literally a regular coffee with milk 😂

Don't tell me you like it as dark as a hangover ****?
Not a lot of milk, which does make it look a funny shade…

But even I could tell that was what was occurring…

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
- Gousto boxes and the like (where you get sent all ingredients) are the future. It again sounds gimmicky but you’ll end up eating a variety of fresh, tasty things without ever having to even think about hunting down ingredients or accruing excess food waste. The cost difference is nominal and is greatly offset by the variety.

I like the simply cook ones - where you get spice mixes and pastes, and add your choice of meat/veg (or just follow the recipe)..

Will

Strata Poster
I blocked my toilet with cat litter yesterday - as I unblocked it by hand, the thought crossed my mind that this disgusts me a lot less than many things people eat - baked beans probably being the classic, if overused, example.

I'd clean out the litter tray bare-handed before going anywhere near a bath of beans, no doubt about it.

Some people like cauliflower, which in my opinion smells A LOT worse than said litter tray. I have a rule about not eating anything that looks or smells like it's already been eaten. But I'm also a big fan of curry, so I'm well aware that I make no sense :D

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I blocked my toilet with cat litter yesterday - as I unblocked it by hand, the thought crossed my mind that this disgusts me a lot less than many things people eat - baked beans probably being the classic, if overused, example.

I'd clean out the litter tray bare-handed before going anywhere near a bath of beans, no doubt about it.

Some people like cauliflower, which in my opinion smells A LOT worse than said litter tray. I have a rule about not eating anything that looks or smells like it's already been eaten. But I'm also a big fan of curry, so I'm well aware that I make no sense :D
Can’t beat a good cauli cheese!!!

And cat litter in the toilet? We always bagged it and put it in the wheelie bin, I’d be nervous of how the drains deal with it.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Scampi, or more specifically ordering scampi in a pub or restaurant…

To me, eating out means having food I wouldn’t cook at home myself. No restaurant or pub is breading and frying their own scampi! It’s all frozen, even if most of the other food on the menu is home made. Why order something that anybody can buy from a supermarket for £2 a bag and fry at home in less than 10 minutes??? Plus it’s just gross anyway.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
As for food trends I don't get, over the last few years there seems to be this obsession with "skin-on fries"; as if the chef doing less pealing makes them somewhat gourmet.

I was going to say skin-on fries too!! Peas-in-a-pod, you and I ;)

Speaking of peas, I've noticed quite a lot of food places adding mushy peas with everything lately. Pie Minister do this thing where they put mushy peas on top of your pie. Not next to your pie. On top of it. I am not a fan.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I was going to say skin-on fries too!! Peas-in-a-pod, you and I ;)

Speaking of peas, I've noticed quite a lot of food places adding mushy peas with everything lately. Pie Minister do this thing where they put mushy peas on top of your pie. Not next to your pie. On top of it. I am not a fan.
Are you a southerner Serena?

‘Pie and pea supper’

Tis a Northern / Midlands tradition. You can even get pie and pea suppers where the peas are layered on top of the meat inside the pastry!!!

rob666

Hyper Poster
Meat and potato pie and peas in a large bread roll (bap, cob, oven bottom muffin, baguette, ciabatta or other regional version may be suitable).
Northern heaven.

Tomatron

Giga Poster

Yeah that's just all kinds of wrong. Mushy peas go at the side, not on top of the food. Unless you're in Wigan, then it's allowed.

Mac & cheese where the pasta isn't macaroni irrationally winds me up. Use the correct pasta FFS.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
‘Pie and pea supper

Tis a Northern / Midlands tradition.
Surely that would be a 'pie and pea tea'?

A pie and pea supper sounds ultra-regal, as if it's served with a diamond encrusted gravy boat (itself bought with the proceeds of selling a coal mine).

Matt N

CF Legend
I’d never heard of peas on pie before (although that might be explained by it supposedly being a Northern delicacy, as I’m a Southerner myself), but I’ll admit that’s something that doesn’t really appeal to me. I’d probably have it on the side rather than on top, personally (although I would personally have baked beans rather than mushy peas, as I’m not a fan of peas).

Though to be honest, I’d probably have pie with your roast dinner-type vegetables (e.g. carrots, broccoli) rather than beans or mushy peas.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Surely that would be a 'pie and pea tea'?

A pie and pea supper sounds ultra-regal, as if it's served with a diamond encrusted gravy boat (itself bought with the proceeds of selling a coal mine).
I didn’t come up with it… It’s been a thing for more years than our ages combined. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ironically though, I was first served it under that guise at a wedding in Chesterfield when I was about 10. And I specifically remember thinking ‘but it’s tea time, I aint goin bed yet.’

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

Cauliflower does taste of farts - yet strangely, cauliflower soup is lovely!

Sandman

Giga Poster
Yeah that's just all kinds of wrong. Mushy peas go at the side, not on top of the food. Unless you're in Wigan, then it's allowed.

Mac & cheese where the pasta isn't macaroni irrationally winds me up. Use the correct pasta FFS.

As the old Northern proverb goes, "Pies next to peas, not on top please".