What's new

PIAP: The Pass-It-Around-Park Project

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
First post in this forum in 8 months... sweet!

Those of you who may remember the dawn of human civilization, circa 2002, may have partaken in a "Pass It Around Park" project back during the heyday of RCT2. These parks were rather popular on a number of forums - Snoo and I both joined in a few on the old Atari forums.

At any rate, the premise is simple - a park is divided into a series of blocks, in which participants build. You cannot build outside of the assigned area, only building a small section of the park at a time. Once one user is done with their block, they pass it on to the next user to build. Often times, there were more blocks than users, allowing for multiple rounds of building.

Since I have been able to return to the Windows fray with a Bootcamp install on my Mac, it has been fun blowing the dust off of the old RCT2 disc. In turn, I thought it would be fun to try another PIAP with anyone interested.

So here is the game plan:

- I will look for participants through to next Friday, March 13.
- In that time, I will create the PIAP.
- The key to a successful PIAP is to have a quick turnover. For this first one, I am thinking a 48 hour window would be fair while not providing too much lag. Please be sure that time commitment is ok (again, small squares means not too much of a build time).
- There will be no ride count limit to each square. So you could build a roller coaster, encircling a flat ride. Or a very elaborate chairlift.
- For this first round, I will do preassigned blocks. However, if we have interest to do a follow-up PIAP, we could allow for users to select blocks, which would allow for users to build on larger areas. (two squares make a rectangle!)
- No 8car hacks or WW/TT theming. We will be keeping this a clean build.

So who's in?

*Also* For those looking to purchase RCT2, it can be found on both Steam and GOG for $10.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Oh lawd, I wonder if I even still have my RCT2 disc. Isnt it on sale with steam?

Sounds interesting to say the least. I'll nibble the first one and see how much I enjoy it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Yup, it is on Steam and GOG for $10, though can go on sale for $5 from time to time. Added links in the original post.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Jer is also on-board, taking us to 8 folks. Huzzah!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Quick update: I am finalizing the park design, and will post a download link for all to preview before we get things started.

As for the actual passing around of the park, there are a couple ways we could do this:

- I email the park file to individuals, who then email me back the park, and then I forward to the next person. This would help make sure everyone is working on the same version, but could cause lag in communication.

- We use a third-party file share service, such as Dropbox. The park file sits in a shared folder, and folks build in the park when it is their designated time. The perk of this would be participants could open the park file at any point in time, though it would be imperative to only be building during your time slot.

Anyone have a preference?

XLR8R

Roller Poster
I prefer the first option due to its simplicity even though it will take longer to transfer the files.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Second option would mean registering for Dropbox.

Giving it some more thought, let's try to do email this first go round. However, with each new addition, I will post the most up-to-date park file for everyone's viewing pleasure. Also helps clamp down on any versioning issues. :)

In which case, I will be using your registered CF Forum emails. If you would like me to use another for communication, either change your registered email with your user account, or PM with your preference.

I will plan to post the park by tonight. Spoiler alert - it's a grid!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So an update, the Windows god are working against me.

Had the entire park ready to go, and just as I was about to hit save, boom! Windows decided it was time to shut down and install updates. *sigh*

I will have another go at finalizing the park this afternoon, and have the park ready for folks to see by tonight.

In the mean time, I will gather everyone's emails and create an email chain to use as primary communication during the build. Let's plan to use this thread as a way of showing off the build as it progresses and other general chat.

Expect an email tonight, and we will be launching tomorrow!

Intricks

Strata Poster
Im just hoping I dont get slotted for a weekend building as Ive lately been working a double shift on Saturday between the two, and that would barely give me 10 hours of useable time from Friday to Sunday eve.

I could mash something together in that time frame, but the quality would be severely turd.

Also, how large are the grids we are building in?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ No worries, I'll make sure you don't have a weekend. Any specific day preference?

The layout is currently a 36x36 square, which can very reasonably fit a sizable B&M Looper or wooden coaster. What I've been doing is just using some of the real-life scale models as a general guide for what is an appropriate size (For instance, Medusa is able to fit that space). However, since I'll be starting from scratch with this build, I can look to boost the size by a bit. The balance I am looking for is a good size to build one or two good sized rides, but not a massive piece of land that would go otherwise unused.

I'll post the finalized PIAP park to this thread once I have it wrapped up this evening - thanks for bearing with this everyone!

Intricks

Strata Poster
Just non-weekend is all I ask. During the week its only the 1 job, and I typically have after 5pm free to myself til whenever I see fit to sleep.

Also, in case people were wondering (as I didnt really explain it), those rough 10 hours are in spurts of 2-4 hours that is my down time before/between/after my jobs, and typically is spent doing household work I didnt get done during the week.

Thank you Hyde for doing this, I appreciate it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The Park is now up!

Here is a download link to preview: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/154 ... P-2015.SV6

As for how we will proceed, each player will have 2 days to build on one segment assigned to them (each labelled with respective names). I will forward you the most up-to-date park edition, and in turn have you email me your build so that I may pass it on to the next player.

Here is the schedule:

Round 1
- Kim - March 14-15
- Intricks - March 16-17
- XLR8R - March 18-19
- nealbie - March 20-21
- Snoo - March 22-23
- Hyde - March 24-25
- josiejolie - March 26-27
- Jer - March 28-29

Round 2
- Kim - March 30-31
- Intricks - April 1-2
- XLR8R - April 3-4
- nealbie - April 5-6
- Snoo - April 7-8
- Hyde - April 9-10
- josiejolie - April 11-12
- Jer - April 13-14

As you can see, this will be a tight schedule. Therefore, it is important you have the park back to me by the end of your time allotment. If you do not, I will pass the most recent version I have to the next person in line, skipping your turn. However, I will just tag your name onto the end of the list, still giving you a chance to build. This way we are fair to those waiting to build, while also not excluding anyone from building for missing their time slot. If you foresee any issues with the scheduling, or will be late getting me the park, just PM or email me to give me a heads up.

I will shoot this all out in email form to all. Again, here is a quick rundown on park rules:

- Build within your assigned areas, one segment for each round. You can modify your first round segment during your second round turn.
- No ride count limit, build as much as you want.
- No hacks/work with provided theming and rides.
- For Round 2, those interested may connect their two segments to make one large area.
- You may build underground, but please stay within your square.
- Any rides encroaching onto others squares may be modified or deleted by other players.
- Don't forget to build those restrooms!

And above all, have fun!