What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Or will they do what Paultons did and delay the opening of their big, expensive new investment until next season, when the Covid pandemic won't overshadow it? I don't know, I don't imagine they well but it wouldn't surprise me if they did tbh.

As said above, Paultons area was still incomplete, so it could be a while before it opens. There's no point opening a big new area for a couple of months of the season (I assume that at least part of the area won't be open during their winter period).

With Phantasialand, work is still ongoing, and they can still push it heavily during their winter event (and much like with Klugheim, continue to heavily push it into the next year).

It's much less of problem for Phantasia in both senses, so wouldn't really make sense in my opinion.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Paultons have delayed it mainly due to no construction work being able to be carried out whilst this situation is ongoing, whereas Phantasialand hasn’t stopped construction at all, from what I’m aware.
Paultons had to stop construction due to the construction being provided by international contractors, who may not be able to come back still for a few months to come, and the area is still 1-2 months from completion,

Rookburgh's construction has not stopped all this time and therefore should still hopefully be opening this summer.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Hotels are not allowed to open prior to the 21th of May, so a immediate opening is unlikely in my opinion. In addition, I believe they are adding the days missed on the annual passes, which would cause some passes with hotel discount being valid on opening day. (If you are nor familiar with the discounts: Annual pass holders received a 35% discount for the on-site hotels, which is no longer part of annual passes purchased in July or later. Therefore I expected Rookburgh to open AFTER all annual passes with a discount have run out). Maybe they will delay the opening until no discounts are applicable any more; on the other hand, I still expect some delays for some works of the area.
As @CSLKennyNI said above, Rookburgh was initially forecast to open at the end of June. The hotel discount was voided for any annual pass holders starting their pass from the 01.08.2019. Therefore, with Rookburgh initially planned to open in June, some passholders would have received 35% discount on Charles Lindbergh for a month's duration. (for example my pass expired on the 17.07.2020 and therefore if the area had opened late June then I would have got hotel discount in July).

Therefore I highly doubt they will delay the opening until no discounts are available anymore, as with the current pass extension scheme europa are offering, if Phantasialand choose the same policy, passes with hotel discount will be valid way into 2021.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The park could easily say that because the Charles Lindbergh Hotel wasn't open at time of purchasing the Annual Pass, the pass isn't valid for that hotel.

Doesn't contradict T&C's. Highly doubt the people who still have that perk would kick up that big a fuss either.

Trax

Hyper Poster
On the other hand, it said "discount in the hotels" and not "discount in the hotels Matamba & Ling Bao" - in the latter case, it would not be a problem to exclude the new one. But as far as I know german law, if it says "the hotels", it means all hotels.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Paultons had to stop construction due to the construction being provided by international contractors, who may not be able to come back still for a few months to come, and the area is still 1-2 months from completion,

Rookburgh's construction has not stopped all this time and therefore should still hopefully be opening this summer.

I’m confused, you’ve literally just said exactly what I’ve said but worded slightly different? Our points were both the same...

Adventurer

Roller Poster
I can see it being appealing to open asap simply on the grounds it would increase the park capacity and space available to spread guests out. Given PHL's size and build their allowed numbers are undoubtedly going to be low so a new area + high capacity ride would add some to that total. Plus if hotel opens also - that's a new source of income.

I suppose they have to balance up the pros and cons of opening it when done for the capacity vs. maintaining a finished empty area and hotel waiting in the hopes that Autumn or Winter or even Easter 2021 may be more lucrative with a grand opening and marketing for their biggest ever investment.

They could open it immediately when it's finished but do not marketing it because of the low park capacity.
Then next year start a big marketing campaign.

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
In the latest Bleib Neugierig! podcast hosted by two employees of Phantasialand they discuss how the park has been working on concepts for reopening. To translate and paraphase:

The NRW parks were taken by surprise with the sudden announcement of such an early date. Especially since clarity on safety measures and approval of the park's concepts is still needed by the authorities.
The preparations needed for the safety of staff and guests and for the booking systems would be impossible to finalise in such a short period of time. They want to take their time to do things right.

Mention was also made to discussions around finding more pleasant and thematically appropriate/less atmosphere disturbing solutions to marking out distances rather than the typical coloured tape being used in shops for example. No construction barriers or fences to mark queues, etc. They want park visits to remain a positive experience; if they aren't "there's not much point then".

Herr Theis didn't want to say too much as to what measures there will since they've not yet been approved. The park will in time make a statement explaining everything. Obviously online prebooking and the wearing of face masks will be required. Its very unlikely shows will take place.
A funny anecdote was told that having read in the news that theme parks were being allowed to reopen a family from 2 hours away had already turned up at the front gate surprised that they couldn't visit.

They point out in such a dynamic situation things can change. Its new territory for everyone in world. Regardless for those in Brühl or Rust or anywhere; its difficult for everyone and needs to be well thought through. So people should have patience.

A question about F.L.Y.'s opening comes up and Chris says lets just get the park open first then we can talk about F.L.Y..

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Preparations under way for reopening as said in the podcast mentioned above, rather than temporary barriers or garish coloured tape, silver/white tape and plant pots are marking out the queue space for the Berlin flat rides.
FB_IMG_1589061931074.jpg
FB_IMG_1589061928763.jpg

Source

Last edited:

Trax

Hyper Poster
A7397DE1-B00E-47C7-B889-D7D6CB814383.jpeg
2BD6C825-C0FB-4DB3-B6E7-4EF9DD3C129E.jpeg
Even though I tried to scale down the picture of the gondola, it’s still to large for this forum... sorry ?
It does not look new and cleaned at all places, but I will check the pictures once I am back home.
Fun fact: One train seems to have stopped ok Launch 2 while testing. Took them 20 minutes to get out. When I left, they did their testing every couple of minutes, 1 train on the layout at all times.
When one train passed the final brake run, they launched the next train. So pretty much as if the second launch would be no block. Judging from the sound of the train, the launches will be very gradual. The first launch only gives the train energy for ~10 meters and takes aprox 3-4 seconds.

Last edited:

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster
Sure?? Plugging your numbers into a = 2 s/ t^2 (please correct me if I'm wrong) I get an acceleration of 0.13 - 0.23 g (if you start with zero velocity and even less if you have some initial velocity). That's me on a bike after I Christmas dinner...

That is indeed false, the launch is way faster judging the onride footage.