What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Lofty

CF Legend
I can't help but think that F.L.Y is genuinely an abbreviation of the actual name of the ride as opposed to it being a design feature of the word fly.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
To be fair, I think they could go for a much more thematic name that F.L.Y. It's like calling Taron S.P.E.E.D, it's :emoji_poop:.
I'm by no means a big fan of the name, haven't been since the very beginning; however it is nothing like 'calling Taron speed'. That wouldn't thematically work with the Germanic/Norse hybrid theme of Klugheim.
However clearly the impression so far is that Rookburgh's theme is very much about aviation/flying - as evident with all the concept art, teasers, marketing about the 'unique sensation of flight' and references to the "Air Rail Company" (presumably connected to the ride's backstory) and the hotel being named after famous aviator Charles Lindbergh who started a great surge in public + business interest in aviation during the 1920s.
So using the word F.L.Y. does thematically fit I don't think that can be denied, regardless of whether people like the sound of it or not.
And to be fair it gets the main unique selling point of the coaster across too.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I've always felt that F.L.Y. was a weird name, especially since the park had moved away from English names for things since Black Mamba in 2006. Since then, all their names have always seemed to be non-English words which make thematic sense for the individual rides and areas.

In my opinion, Fliegen (German for fly) sounds better than Fly, so it is a very odd choice. Like Lofty says, it must surely be an abbreviation for something, presumably German.

I've always lived in hope that F.L.Y. was simply a project / advertising name to get the point across that it's a flying coaster, and there would be a name announcement in the future. Obviously with the fight to keep the name that doesn't appear to be the plan...though I guess it's possible that may just happen!

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
Yeah, it certainly is an abrevation, I assumed a German abbreviation but I hope they come up with a better name and not an English one.

I also hoped that with the new entrance coming for River Quest, they would have changed that name too. Now he's becoming a part of Klugheim and the name doesn't fit for me anymore. I mean: Klugheim, Taron, Raik...and River Quest.

Maybe It's just a name but for a park which is that much into theming, cohesion and logic, it can get done better IMHO. :D

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Since there are basically no German words starting with y (y isn't really used in German anyway, it mainly appears in words coming from other languages), I doubt it will be a German abbreviation. Either F.L.Y. means something in English, or the actual name has nothing to so with F.L.Y. at all and it's really just a project name.
I also don't think "Fliegen" (to fly) would be a good word by itself, because it means "flies" as well, both the action and the insects. Who would enter an attraction that promises annoying insects. Flies, the attraction. And for the real thrillseekers: BEES.

Be_coaster

Roller Poster
Pay once, visite twice is going to be repeated with the start of the new season. Is this a sign that there'll be no opening of Rookburgh in 2019?

Leon Schulz

Roller Poster
Why do you can't use the free entry in July and August? Could be there the opening of Rookburgh and they do not want an overcrowded Park?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
7c021ed5-1c58-4071-90d2-c70baaa28c91.jpg.f23c8d08d001c364272b68394fabf39c.jpg

Interesting, rather steampunk mixed with a dragon I feel. Look forward to seeing a higher quality version.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
It's beautiful. Was I the only one believing they would continue with the FLY trademark (certainly when they kept using it in the Hotel announcement)
And realy, the name is not that bad as everyone here tries to make it look. (its maybe better now without the silly dots)
Also I'm still a believer for a 2019 opening (mid august the latest)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's beautiful. Was I the only one believing they would continue with the FLY trademark (certainly when they kept using it in the Hotel announcement)
And realy, the name is not that bad as everyone here tries to make it look. (its maybe better now without the silly dots)
Also I'm still a believer for a 2019 opening (mid august the latest)
It still has the silly dots, though?