What's new

Paultons go retro 2014

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Best carousel ever installed!

There aren't many of these about, did this one come from Alton originally (they used to have a double decker one many years ago). I think it moved to somewhere like Camelot (probably Camelot), but maybe another smaller park.

peep

CF Legend
Interesting, 'one of four' new attractions. It'll probably be all basic and nice family rides similar to the carousel but it will make for a good addition to the park.

gunmonkey

Roller Poster
peep said:
Interesting, 'one of four' new attractions. It'll probably be all basic and nice family rides similar to the carousel but it will make for a good addition to the park.

Completely missed the one of four bit, looking forward to seeing the themed area around it too, paultons themed gardens are some of the best.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
furie said:
Best carousel ever installed!

There aren't many of these about, did this one come from Alton originally (they used to have a double decker one many years ago). I think it moved to somewhere like Camelot (probably Camelot), but maybe another smaller park.
There was definitely a double-decker carousel like that at Camelot - this is probably that one.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I can't remember when the one vanished from Alton, I think it was around 2004? It was next to the vintage cars, how long have they been gone from Cloud Cuckoo Land and does it tie in with the time it arrived at Camelot?

Though it's almost guaranteed to be Camelot's, let's face it :)

Mark

Strata Poster
There was also a double-decker Carousel at Thorpe Park too, it was in one of the arcade buildings. Possibly the one next to KFC?? In fact... is that still actually in there? I haven't been in that half of the building in years!

I guess this will suit Paultons and its demographic perfectly. Not enough to get me down there anytime soon but i'm intrigued by the one of four bit...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think a few of you might have misread the Paultons page linked in the opening post. I'll quote and highlight the text.
We are delighted to announce that we will be installing an enchanting double-decker Victorian Carousel over the coming months due to open next year as one of four new additions to open in 2014.
Additions. Not "attractions".

The other additions are a new film for the 4D Cinema, new entrance plaza and restaurant. After three years of big ride investment, I think the 2014 additions will be more infrastructure based rather than "big" rides.

But yes, this will be the best carousel in the world.

LG95

Roller Poster
Judging from pictures, the new Carousel is the one that previously operated at Camelot though it seems to be unrelated to the one that visited Thorpe and Alton.

JamesB

Mega Poster
I heard a few years ago that the park was thinking about a Gerstlauer Launch coaster next to The Cobra... I wonder if that's still on the table? It would be amazing.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ I was informed by park management several years ago that they have reached their coaster capacity. Conditions might have changed since then but I don't think they have any plans to build another big coaster. Their target market is under 10's (perhaps lower than that), so I doubt they'd go for anything too intense if they did.

sean

Mega Poster
Nice carousel, should be fun for families.

Speaking of Retro....I wish a park would bring one of these back...
1969---Octopus---Octopus-ride-798171.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
sean said:
Nice carousel, should be fun for families.

Speaking of Retro....I wish a park would bring one of these back...
1969---Octopus---Octopus-ride-798171.jpg

OMG! A proper Octopus ride! Everywhere should have one of those!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
FYI, the Victorian double-decker carousel opens today.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I remember going on the Thorpe one as a kid and being in awe of it (if was all twinkly inside its tent/shed) and rather scared at how high up the second row was. It had balloons at the top and you could sit in the baskets (assuming my 5 year old memory is still good). I think they rocked. Maybe that helps identify if this is the same one.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I rode one as a kid as well. I can't remember where exactly, but I think it might have been Southport?