What's new

Park Maps

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I'm always picking up park maps at the entrance to theme parks. They help you get around the park and they make a nice, free souvenir. I do collect maps from places I haven't been to as well (courtesy of goons who have spares ;) ), but keep them separate from the places I haven't been, I store them in a box in piles by continent, then alphabetically, then by date/event if I have multiple dates or special events going on in the park. It's so anal, it's not real :p

Do you use park maps when in a park? Do you keep them? Do you throw them away? Do you take 1? 2? 5? More?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Absolutely I take a park map - best way to chart out the park.

For the most part, I stuff it in my back pocket during the day, forget about it, and find it as a crumpled scrap in the washing machine months later. :razz:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
We used to have a park map topic where people would trade! :D

I collect. I have way too many.

Maps are fairly useless, IMO, especially for enthusiasts... Just last week, I made the rare decision to consult Busch Tampa's map, only to find it horribly inaccurate and useless in getting me to the tiger exhibit. I collect because they're free souvenirs. There's something magic about keeping stuff that's supposed to be thrown away, coming back to it years later.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I pick one up at a new park to make sure I don't miss anything, but only use it to get a rough idea of where stuff is.

I don't keep them; they either get chucked on the way out or when I get home and find them screwed up in a bag or pocket.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
gavin said:
I don't keep them; they either get chucked on the way out or when I get home and find them screwed up in a bag or pocket.
You've just broken the hearts of so many goons!

I never make an effort to get a park map, but if there is one I will take it to tick things off.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Love collecting them! No matter how many times I'll visit a certain park, I'll always keep the map. Though I'll never actually use them unless it's a new and complicated park.

And then II'll have to pick up a fresh one at the end of the day. ;)

Ben

CF Legend
I used to collect them but then I gave up.

Now I'll usually try and grab some for Joey if it's somewhere fab (reminds me I got some in Asia I'm still holding to and haven't sent over, spite <3) but that's it.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:
Love collecting them! No matter how many times I'll visit a certain park, I'll always keep the map. Though I'll never actually use them unless it's a new and complicated park.

And then II'll have to pick up a fresh one at the end of the day. ;)

This describes my relationship with maps perfectly. I recognize every single thing about your post :p . Usually I end up with like 3 maps after a day. One looks like **** after being in my bag/pocket all day, one is Dutch (when visiting a Dutch/German park anyway) and one is English.

I actually have an Efteling map of 1995 (the year when I was born) which I'm quite happy with <3

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I collect. I try to seek them out and get disappointed if I forget to pick one up, or if a small park doesn't do them.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I always get one if I've never been to a park before. They're free, they're very useful if I'm looking for toilets, or which route to get to each rides.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
I take them as a keepsake if its my first time visiting the park or if they are getting rid of a ride. Sometimes I just accidentally throw them away or leave them in a rental car but I tend to take more than 1, just in case.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I always take 2, one for during the day and another in a safe place for putting with the rest of my collection(unless it's a small park in which case the one during the day isn't really needed). They are all kept in a box except one, Hershey, which has a proud place in my goon cabinet.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
If anything, I usually grab park maps to help illustrate locations of rides for other members in my group.

While I am a goon and have spent countless hours researching the layout of the park, the map obviously helps spell out a plan of attack for those non-enthusiasts.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I always pick up a map - I find them useful for finding my way around and its a good to be able to tick things off and make sure you haven't missed anything.

I don't collect them though - they always end up crumpled in a pocket or bag at the end of the day so I just throw them away.