What's new

Overrated and Underrated Roller Coasters

Matt N

CF Legend
Nah, front half of the train on Colossus is ok, I wouldn't queue longer than 20 minutes for it mind, and it has a better soundtrack.
Not really fair to Colossus or any other ride to be compared with the Smiler though dude, harsh ;)
Do you really hate The Smiler that much? I admit that I'm not its biggest fan either, but I certainly find it smoother than Saw: The Ride and Speed.

Coop

Roller Poster
Overrated - Nemesis - Yeah, it’s a good ride and aesthetically it’s amazing but for me I just don’t get the major hype for it.

Underrated - Joris En De Draak - heard so much about it being a weak GCI. Granted, I haven’t ridden many GCIs but I found it to be really fab. Some nice pops of airtime, laterals and the out and back section over the water is super fun.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Do you really hate The Smiler that much? I admit that I'm not its biggest fan either, but I certainly find it smoother than Saw: The Ride and Speed.
There's not many rides I won't ever ride again, especially recent installations, but Smiler is one of those. I've had enough of the rattle, the dizzyness, the disgusting restraint smell and the earbashing resulting in a headache for the rest of the day.

I'm not a huge fan of Speed, but the airtime hill is worth a re-ride. Saw is worth a re-ride because the indoor section and the airtime hill are both fab. Smiler has no redeeming qualities whatsoever as a rider. But I'll gladly watch everyone else get beaten up.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Overrated: Balder, Steel Vengeance, Outlaw Run, Millennium Force, Mega Lite, Top Thrill Dragster
Underrated: Boulder Dash, OCT Thrust, Thundercoaster, Superman The Ride, Boardwalk Bullet, Roar-o-saurus

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Overrated: Troy

It's a good coaster and all, and I understand that Central Europe still used to be a little Wooden Coaster virgin at the time, and except for some coaster in Finland, people over here probably never even heard of GCI before Troy came around, and especially kudos to Toverland for going with such an ambitious project for their 3rd coaster in only their 7th year of operation, but I gotta say to me it really doesn't feel like that revelation of a coaster that is justifying a trip to Toverland on its very own. It's good, but so are plenty of other coasters. I do not find it to be very rerideable, and the airtime that is praised by some people I found to be pretty much non-existent except for one annoying hill that starts floating, then does nothing and then starts floating again. It's almost too much GCI for it's own good, and the little break-ups in between, like the hills before the Station-Fly-Through, do not deliver as they should to provide a well rounded experience.

Underrated: Flug der Dämonen

I mean technically this is a pretty forceless B&M, but I gotta say, if you're going to be forceless, be like Flug. It's one of the few B&Ms that resembles a kind of floatiness that actually comes close to the sensation of flying (something I can't really say about any B&M Flying Coaster for example, they just have their own sensation, but I wouldn't call that flying). It has a somewhat inspired layout for a Wing Coaster, not too formulaic but also not too wild. It's really nothing to write home about, but considering that Heide Parks coasters are all over the place, with plenty of garbage and Colossos, this is a nice middle ground that just ticks the "good ol' fun coaster" box perfectly.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Overrated: Troy
the airtime that is praised by some people I found to be pretty much non-existent except for one annoying hill that starts floating, then does nothing and then starts floating again.
This is the first thing I think of when anyone mentions Troy!
That and the great time we had on a Live there.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Well uh, my opinions have changed a little bit.

Overrated
I *would* say Phantom's Revenge is the most overrated, but I got a ride with very poor ride conditions (not feeling the best, large crowds, early in the morning). I would also say I305 is super overrated, but as it turns out, there are a handful of people who say that it's not the best ride in the park. So, I decided to choose a ride that I've seen nothing but positive reviews of; Storm Runner at Hersheypark. I really didn't see the appeal for this ride! I only got one ride, but the ride overall was just...kinda forgettable? The launch was really good, but the rest of the ride had a rattle, was jerky, and overall just didn't do anything for me. Yeah, the layout is great, and I can see why so many people love it; I just didn't get the best ride on it I guess.

OverHATED
In my opinion, there's a difference between "Underrated" and "Overhated". Underrated is a ride that isn't talked about, but really stood out to me. Overhated is a ride that many talk about for being bad, but was better than everyone said it was for me. Those rides, for me, are Mighty Canadian Minebuster, Impulse, and Nighthawk. All 3 of these rides exceeded my expectations. I had heard many less than great things about these rides, but they all surprised me! MCMB was smoother than I expected, Impulse was overall better than I expected, and Nighthawk was more fun than I expected.

Underrated
Easily, the 2 most underrated coasters I've ever ridden are Fahrenheit at Hersheypark and Adventure Express at Kings Island. Fahrenheit is just something that works very well for me. The inversions are some of my favorites ever! It's just a very good and underrated ride for me. Adventure Express, on the other hand, is one of the most underrated night rides of all time! In the back car, every element was very whippy, and it was very smooth too! It was so good that it ended up in my Top 30 overall!

Heth

Mega Poster
Overrated:
Saw the Ride - have skipped it since 2017. I find it rough to the point of being unenjoyable. Colossus is the same but for some reason people overlook how rough Saw is whilst criticising Colossus for being rough.

Underrated:
Bit of an underrated type of ride rather than a specific one, but when I visit parks I always prefer just plain 'fun' or 'thrilling' coasters over overly forceful rides that require physical endurance, which tend to be popular in enthusiast circles. Rides like Wicker Man, Big Thunder Mountain and Baron 1898 tend to be what I look forward to reriding in parks as opposed to the bigger rides, which are often one-and-done. They leave me with a big grin on my face!