What's new

Overpriced Food

nadroJ

CF Legend
^See, I find it to be pretty much exactly the same as Pizza Hut. I'm pretty fussy with pizza but I can't really tell the difference between the Merlin pizza and actual Pizza Hut pizza. Using the annual pass discount I think it's fairly good value for money and the fact that you can fill yourself up is an added bonus, hence why I usually eat in them.

I do miss the Greedy Goblin though, I never had a bad meal in there. It was a bit more expensive than the other places but I always found it to be of higher quality than most of the other places and more value for money.

The worst place for being ripped off is that Woodcutters Grill or whatever it's called between Hex and the Dark Forest. Everyone was like 'oooh the food comes out so fast!' Yeah, that's because it's all pre-made and left to ferment under a heat lamp until someone buys it. It was gross, dry and overpriced. I'd never eat there again.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
jayjay said:
I've heard from relatives that live near Lightwater that there's actually a half decent restaurant outside the park gates (but within the shopping area). I've only eaten in their main food court area, and that was silly expensive.
Yes. When me and Vadge went to preview Skeleton Cove, we had a meal there and it was pretty good, much better than the crap they serve in the park. It was certainly good value for money as we didn't pay for it. :lol: [/thelifeofbeingianfromcoasterforce]

Martyn B said:
Dont quite understand why Merlin is getting stick...
Because, unfortunately, Merlin parks are what most people on CF seem to only have first hand knowledge about!

As for my contribution. I'd have to say Tussenfryd, but then again I can't recall eating in the park. All I remember are cheeseburgers in McDonalds.

What cheeses me off the most is knowing the value of things. For £3.50, I could buy a can of hotdogs, buns and heat them up. Then again, they're a business, they're making money and 90% (made up number) of people who go to a theme parks don't want to lug their own food about. It's all about supply and demand.

I'd love to know how much PBB's food sales and prices have increased since the stringent packed lunch checks were enforced.

Dave

CF Legend
The two worst culprits of over-priced food unfortunately are Paultons Park and Lightwater Valley, they have such high prices, probably because they know they are the only food outlets people will go to. Lightwater I particularly remember being dull and expensive and I think I only had a jacket potato in the end as the selection was that grand (but that was back in 2007, so might of improved). Paultons has expensive canteens from what I can remember, about the same as a football ground canteen. But most times I've either got my own lunch or been offered to go to McDonald's in Ower nearby.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
nadroJ said:
See, I find it to be pretty much exactly the same as Pizza Hut. I'm pretty fussy with pizza but I can't really tell the difference between the Merlin pizza and actual Pizza Hut pizza. Using the annual pass discount I think it's fairly good value for money.

Ewwww, just no. The Merlin pizza is all dough (fills you up so you don't eat as much) with minimal toppings. The base is always ridiculously greasy as well. I can never eat more than 2 or 3 slices without feeling sick, which is great for Merlin I guess.

It's cheap, yes. It's not value for money. It's not a rip off, sure; I just wanted to say that it's far from the "amazing" dining experience that so many on here seem to think it is.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Agreed. I love pizza, and the idea of as much pizza as I can eat fro under £8 should be the most tempting thing ever. I think I've eaten at the Merlin pizza places two or three times in the last two years. I think it's about six months between visits as I forget how much I find it completely "meh".

I don't dislike it as much as Gavin, but it's roughly the same kind of quality as an Asda pizza and as such, I don't find it great. Can completely leave it, but if people like it and can stuff themselves and enjoy it for under £8, then it isn't a rip-off, it's even good value I guess. It would be like an all-you-can-eat McDonalds for me though - just not worth it.

Mark

Strata Poster
gavin said:
I just wanted to say that it's far from the "amazing" dining experience that so many on here seem to think it is.

I guess that all comes down to personal standards and expectations :p

I do agree with Gavins whole point. I think a lot of the food at parks is overpriced. For what it is. I don't mind paying a bit more for food but if I am, I expect it to be of a better standard. Normally I opt for the 'branded' stuff at parks where available, because its reasonably priced and I know what I am getting. The number of times I have tried other stuff that has been more expensive and then left feeling ripped off because the food was actually of no better quality then if I had of just gone to the fast food place. Sometimes, it is actually more expensive and of a worse standard.

The one that sticks in my mind as being quite good value for money was the Greedy Goblin at CWoA. Of course, it was more expensive then going to the KFC or whatever it is now. It was more expensive then a fast food chain but the food was of a much higher quality so I left feeling like I got what I had paid for.

Ben

CF Legend
OMG, when did Greedy Goblin get spited? That's ruined my life <///3

That place was fab... I do <3 the pizza and pasta buffet though, secretly. Sadly, I won't BOTHER going to a Merlin park again for a while, so.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
gavin said:
nadroJ said:
See, I find it to be pretty much exactly the same as Pizza Hut. I'm pretty fussy with pizza but I can't really tell the difference between the Merlin pizza and actual Pizza Hut pizza. Using the annual pass discount I think it's fairly good value for money.

Ewwww, just no. The Merlin pizza is all dough (fills you up so you don't eat as much) with minimal toppings. The base is always ridiculously greasy as well. I can never eat more than 2 or 3 slices without feeling sick, which is great for Merlin I guess.

It's cheap, yes. It's not value for money. It's not a rip off, sure; I just wanted to say that it's far from the "amazing" dining experience that so many on here seem to think it is.
Thought the pizzas were fine when I went, although I'd agree a little greasy. But the pasta was decent and there's loads of nice salad. Pretty good all round, as far as I'm concerned.

thx

Mega Poster
Tusenfryd is definitely the most expensive themepark for food that I've been to. However considering Norway's high prices in general, the actual difference in price in buying something inside compared to buying something outside is a lot smaller than in many other parks, who then (imo) rip you off more. Personally I find it a lot worse if say a hotdog would cost 1$ on a street in a city, but then, say, 6$ inside the park, than if it was 3.5$ outside and 7$ inside.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Just to throw in a number here, from what I can recall a large hamburger at TusenFryd is 198,- NOK. That's a little over £20 ($40). Drink not included.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^Wow, I was expecteing expensive from all the reports on here about food prices there, but I wasn't expecting that expensive