What's new

Other changes at C:WoA 2013

peep

CF Legend
Re: Other improvements at C:WoA 2013

I'm pretty sure one of the other sites (themeparks-uk?) posted late last year some images of the interior being ripped out. I think they only worked on the interior for a long time and have only started recently on the exteriors.

Radaxian. I say good riddance, I loathe BK and even the McDonalds ruined the original interior (I can't even remember seeing it in person, going off photos). So ripping it all out and changing the theme a little is an improvement in my opinion.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I just wish they'd stuck with the Transylvania style stuff though. The new look IS nice, but it doesn't fit. Kind of dreading walking into this area for the new season now =[

peep

CF Legend

^When I saw it I actually loved it. However it shows how awful Bubbleworks is.

marc

CF Legend

I do wish they could have returned it to what it was like 20 years ago but that was never going to happen.

Glad they are doing the area up as it was getting very old and tatty.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

As anyone noticed how the vampire's station/warehouse is becoming more noticable. Im sure in 2008 it was hard to see. Did they cut down trees that hid it?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

A bump with some other information...

Apparently Runaway Train, Dragon Falls and Peeking Heights will all be shut for the first few weeks as a result of work being done on them...

Tad late is it not? Whilst it's nice to see the premise of work being done to two of the oldest attractions, having them closed over Easter is NOT a good idea by any stretch, which leads me to believe this is not particularly out of Chessie's choice to do work on them (when no work was being done on Runaway over Feb Half Term especially)...

So yeah, the park opens sans 4 rides... Great...

marc

CF Legend

Yeah was about to say similar. Sounds like H&S had a good look round the park and went to town on them.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Apparently all the rock work theming is being taken off of the rides?

Mark

Strata Poster

Really?? The RMT is gonna be a bit crap without any rockwork around it surely??

spicy

Giga Poster

It will just look like the flying fish. So yea it's going to look crap.

Nic

Strata Poster

Whether the full extent of this is true or not, I can believe that CWoA have been ordered to make a large number of significant changes in the name of H&S. I do wonder though, why CWoA and why now?

Have regulations changed? If so, are we likely to see similar sledgehammer sprees at other parks in the near future?

If not, has this all been brought on by last year's Tomb Blaster incident? If that's the case, then it seems a bit daft. Why change the things that they're apparently doing as a result of a slight issue with a queue line fence? Also, if the whole park has undergone a more rigorous inspection in light of last year, then does this basically mean that the changes they're making now have been unsafe for ages? If so, why weren't they inspected/altered sooner?

That all makes it sound like I'm more bothered that I really am. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate a bit really.

marc

CF Legend

I think it will be more of the case that at Chessington the theming has been neglected and it's probably cheaper to remove than fix.

The park looked a state at GF.

Just my thoughts on it.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

marc said:
I think it will be more of the case that at Chessington the theming has been neglected and it's probably cheaper to remove than fix.

The park looked a state at GF.

Just my thoughts on it.

I agree on that sentiment regarding been told to remove due to neglection...

It's just happened too suddenly (and with no rumours regarding this happening) to be something the park have put into place (indeed, would any park be stupid enough to have 4 rides shut including 2 coasters and their highest throughput) to fix up broken theming... It's literally got to be that Chessie were told "Right, this and this are busted way beyond safe, fix it now"...

Hence the cancellation of AP Weekend and the situation where 4 rides are down as a result... If this was planned, it would not be causing this much issue right now and would've been done over winter (unless delayed via weather or whatever, but since that's not the case, it can be ignored)...

Fury didn't open on time as well either... So expect the weekend to be awful </3

marc

CF Legend

It's a shame about that park tbh, it used to be so nice. But I am thinking back 20 years before Thorpe got better rides.

Nic

Strata Poster

The park opened to the public today, and I've just been reading some comments from people who went. Probably the biggest news is that the rocks with the "carvings" of the Buddha faces either side of the Dragon Falls' main drop have been completely removed.

Here's an old photo from the CF guide to illustrate the bit I'm on about -
2dragonfallsdrop.jpg

I think they're something I've kinda taken for granted all of these years. I just can't imagine what it'd look like without them!

The whole of Mystic East is currently closed. Runaway Train, Rattlesnake and Rameses Revenge were all closed today too.

Apparently the bell tower between Rattlesnake's entrance and exit has also been spited.

*Sigh*

Danzibarr

Mega Poster

Oh dear, Chessie has always been such a great looking park. Really hope they're planning to replace the bits they've had to remove. It's amazing the difference it makes - just compare RMT to Flying Fish!

Could it be that the tunnel on Thorpe's flume was removed for the same reason?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Not good news about the theming! As these all seem to be considerably old bits of theming I guess we can hope that they'll be replaced.

What's the current situation with the Black Buccaneer? I know it's had quite a few issues over the last few years and last time I went there (albeit a little while ago) a lot of work being done do it. Will it be running again?