What's new

Orlando, Atlantic City, Vegas, etc. Skyscrapers | ThrillCorp

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: I-Drive Orlando | Skyscraper| US Thrill Rides

Apparently there is another rendering for the Skyplex coming up next week!

Oh boy.

Also, a petition (or something) is making rounds to "make your voice heard" to the officials of whatever county this project is in.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Intricks said:
Apparently there is another rendering for the Skyplex coming up next week!

Oh boy.

Also, a petition (or something) is making rounds to "make your voice heard" to the officials of whatever county this project is in.

What, this one? :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zffhtgPLy1I[/youtube]

Oh boy, this one looks the best yet...especially with the way it interacts with the drop tower!

Intricks

Strata Poster

No, thats just a generalized Skyplex animation. Bad wording on my part though, so

No, there is a 3rd rendering coming out for this Skyplex with Skyscrapper, the drop tower, zip line and basically the whole shebang.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

The S&S model looked so much better. This is about as good as going down a spiral slide.

And I'm seriously doubting the project's completion now. With Universal and all of the companies designing it, I don't think it'll go vertical any time soon.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster

The original concept made me want to sh*t my pants. It was the most terrifying coaster I'd ever seen. This thing just meanders around until it runs out of enough speed to not crash into the break run. What I would love to see happen though is Intamin putting their wing coaster trains (Skyrush and Flying Aces) on the original concept. Do that and I think you're looking at a legitimate top ten coaster.

Hutch

Strata Poster

At the moment I still prefer the other one, but this one doesn't look that bad. The animation didn't really do a good job showing off the layout, would've liked to see a real pov or something. I like how the added a vertical LSM, though I do feel that the anticipation from the lift hill is taken away.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

The layout looks shorter with fewer inversions than the S&S model - however the LSM lift launch into rollout is a nice new touch. Dive loop finale also looks good.

On the approval side, the county had its stakeholder meeting, which highlighted the cozy relationship the city of Orlando has with Universal: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... story.html

City of Orlando sent staffers to the meeting to voice concern, which raised question on if the City of Orlando was acting in the interest of Universal, rather than the wellbeing of the city. It should come as no surprise that the City of Orlando also pushes for generous tax breaks for Universal, and has used tax dollars to fund infrastructure projects that directly benefited Universal, such as the $4.5 pedestrian footbridge that connects Universal hotels to the theme parks. Further compounding the question of development - the City of Orlando has approved the construction of a 360 ft. building with helipad on International Drive near Universal. It has also come to light that Universal has contributed to Orlando Mayor Dyer's campaign.

As for actual steps on what is needed for Skyplex to move forward, it must receive approval from the Orange County Commission, which will vote in December. The commission is separate from the City of Orlando, but it is clear now more than ever that Universal's strong lobby is acting strongly against this development. While the City of Orlando is separate from the Orange County Commission, and does not have a role in the approval process, it is questionable why non-elected city staffers have been sent to voice against the I-Drive complex.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Honestly, I hate the new design. Was this layout Intamin's or did Alan Schilke do this one like the S&S version? This one is literally the same (probably boring) turn over and over and over again. The other one was legitimate **** your pants terrifying, this is just meh. I'm sure it'll be a good ride, though. Intamin doesn't do crap!

Now to address the fact that I've built that vertical launch into a quarter loop before in NoLimits... -_-

Intricks

Strata Poster

So the new rendering for the Skyplex is up, and this thing looks like it got even more insane. This will have either 9 or 10 inversions (hard to count as they kept switching from a following camera to a pov), and the drop tower is now as tall as the entire central structure itself.

I need this in my life. Now.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0dS-t-VCaA[/youtube]

From the Attractions Magazine YT page.

This actually looks pretty good now. Just 5 more renderings, and we should be seeing some groundwork starting!

Hutch

Strata Poster

Yeah, that other video didn't do a good job showing off the layout. For the most part it seems like a lot of the elements were kept from the old layout. Should be fun.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Layout #4 looks great. Can't wait until Layout #5! :razz:

Hutch

Strata Poster

Ah I didn't realize this was another updated layout from that other one we saw the other week? Either way, still looks good.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^Yeah, this one is for Skyscraper, the old one was for a generic display of the ride, ala the T-Rex video for RMC.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

So SkyPlex has been in the news paper and on TV pretty much everyday this week. I think today is the final vote. They had some Uni PR guy on TV last night saying the reason they don't want the project is because it will ruin the sightlines within USF/IOA... and that made me laugh since they don't see to care that when you stand at the entrance way to Jurassic Park you are looking right at the Potter castle... Or how from pretty much anywhere in USF you can see Rockit (and in half of IOA as well...) You can also see Dr. Philips High School from Dragons... As well as a Speedway Gas Station pretty much under the drop... And if you ride Doom... you can pretty much see all of Central Florida (lololol, including my house) the reporter was also quick to call out Uni on their BS and said they were just acting like babies. <3

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

CanobieFan said:
the reporter was also quick to call out Uni on their BS and said they were just acting like babies. <3

Finally, a reporter who knows how to present news!

Intricks

Strata Poster

Just recieved a message from a friend - Skyplex won approval!

Clicky-poo

Ontop of this, Universal is apparently now heavily looking into buying up land close by (450 acres I read, but correct me if I am wrong) for Hotels/Entertainment/Potential Theme Park.

Click Me

Edit: Include linkage and even a new rumor.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Why is Universal so obsessed with trying to destroy this project, it's hardly going to make a dent on their profits, if anything it will attract more people to the Orlando area what will then most likely visit Universal whilst they are in Orlando, so if anything this project will help the park.
I feel like they think that the city walk area will loose custom as people will visit this at night time to grab something to eat instead, but find that very unlikely.

Universal is just coming across as childish and salty.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Hooray it got approved!

And jesus I can't believe Universal are so salty about it, I honestly think they'd actually celebrate if the people in charge of Skyscraper died. They sound like some Ebenezer Scrooge, Mr Krabs type ****.