What's new

On train ads ruin the coaster trains?

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Last summer, I was able to ride Kingda Ka and El Toro. Amazing rides and all but when I got to board the train, I noticed that Six Flags added on train ads. I felt like it ruined the entire point of theming the train. The one I rode was advertising Scion's new car. Although it is a good source of income, I think El Toro's train got ruined by the ads and made the amazing theming go to waste.

Before:
El_Toro_station.jpg

After:
eltoro2.JPG

What are your thoughts?

therick311

Mega Poster
I think they often look tacky when viewed from off the ride. However, I never even notice them while on the ride. They don't change the ride experience for me.

I understand your complaint about ads ruining the theme, but this is Six Flags after all. If I had just walked though Hogwarts Castle and then saw the ride vehicle is brought to me by Stride Gum, then I would be upset. But otherwise, meh.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Glennderp said:
eltoro2.JPG

What are your thoughts?
Kingda Ka was bad with those got2b wraps, but El Toro's Stride gum ones were worse. I'm so glad that Six Flags got rid of all of those last year.

BBH

Giga Poster
I know there was a topic about this ages ago and this point was brought up, but SFGAm Demon looked horrid in the Stride wrapped train. Thankfully it and V2 (göt2b glued) were the only ones with heavy advertising, although apparently Raging Bull's queue is brought to us by Starbursts.

Posted while reading your mind.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
rollermonkey said:
Are we on about this again?

;)
I don't understand it either. Like I said - Six Flags did away with this stuff last year, so why go into it again when it's not around anymore?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
ECG & rollermonkey - Just because some established members have discussed this in the past, there are newer members who would like to guage opinions, too.

A few years ago, Six Flags filed for bankrupcy. They spent the next few years with a British accountant in charge (his nationality is irrelevant but I thought I'd mention it anyway!). His task was to ensure the company makes as much money as possible before investment.

I don't blame a park in that situation for utalising whatever space it has to display advertisements. Overly garish adverts can spoil the atmosphere of a station or a ride but like Lofty said, the ride experience is usually the same.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
therick311 said:
Ian said:
...but like Lofty said, the ride experience is usually the same.
therick311 said:
They don't change the ride experience...
Hi, my name's Rick. Some people call me "The Rick".

[/pedant] :lol:
Apologies, my fault. I have no idea why I thought Lofty wrote that. #mong

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yes, train-wrapping adverts are bad. But in-queue adverts are worse. I have had the misfortune of experiencing over-the-top advertisements both in Six Flags queues and on Six Flags rides. Given a choice, I'll take the train adverts.

At least they are out of view while riding?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Eurgh Six Flags. I don't want to 'Go Big'. Wtf does that even mean?! Ahhhh.

On topic. Train wrapping is gross but I suppose it brings a park in cash to build new rides and isn't permanent, so they can easily change sponsors. El Toro looks disgusting in that picture though.

Advertising, if used as theme, can work well. Blackpool have nailed this, and I much prefer a tacky theme to a zero-effort wrap.