What's new

Odd rollercoaster facts

cookie.jpg

^^LMAO

All the facts I know have been used...

EXCEPT!

Did you know that the story behind the Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion is that there was a couple about to be married. The husband-to-be went his soon-to-be wife's room finding the tailor with his arms around her (probably getting a dress fitting or something). Outraged the groom killed the tailor and the bride, so distraught as she was, jumped out the window.

Next time you go on the attraction, look out for clues of this plot.

Mackem Lad said:
Pleasurewood Hills can only send a train out on Wipeout every 7 and half minutes due to a restriction placed upon them by the local council. This was put in force to bring the ride's noise levels down to a more reasonable occurance rate.

Seriously. why give planning permission if you're going to place such a daft restriction on them

WDW's Tower Of Terror was specifically designed with a Moroccan theme so that it would fit in with EPCOT. Yes strangely enough, even though it is located in a completely separate park, ToT can be seen when looking across the lagoon towards the Moroccan pavilion in Epcot, and the colouring and style blends it in with the skyline.

TOT%209.jpg

Because of this, the architecture isn't really accurate with the parks 1930's hollywood era feel, hence why California's and Paris's version look so different.

Unfortunately the imagineers made one rather large boo boo when designing the ride, as can be seen from the location of the Hollywood Tower sign. The sign should have been located much higher, as it is in the way of where the destroyed wings would have been. In the paintings and in the preview videos the sign is actually located higher up the building.

TOT%202.jpg

This mistake was sorted for the other versions of the ride.

^ Wow, I have to say, I knew a lot of these facts coming in, but...that one just shattered my mind. Even more than the bear on the Toblerone wrapper or the FedEx arrow. o_o

Crazycoaster said:
WDW's Tower Of Terror was specifically designed with a Moroccan theme so that it would fit in with EPCOT. Yes strangely enough, even though it is located in a completely separate park, ToT can be seen when looking across the lagoon towards the Moroccan pavilion in Epcot, and the colouring and style blends it in with the skyline.

TOT%209.jpg

Because of this, the architecture isn't really accurate with the parks 1930's hollywood era feel, hence why California's and Paris's version look so different.

Unfortunately the imagineers made one rather large boo boo when designing the ride, as can be seen from the location of the Hollywood Tower sign. The sign should have been located much higher, as it is in the way of where the destroyed wings would have been. In the paintings and in the preview videos the sign is actually located higher up the building.

TOT%202.jpg

In all of my time as a disney fanboy I didn't know that one! That is brilliant and a prime example of why I love Disney and the way they do things. I sat looking over that lake for about three hours whilst waiting for the fireworks and STILL didn't notice it. I'd be inclined to say that despite it being Moroccan themed it doesn't stick too far out from being at least 1930's Hollywood, because like nowadays there would have variations of styles and so on....

I did notice the low sign part though, just never thought too much of it!

Cheers for the fact on that though Crazycoaster, im actually impressed!

Another interesting WDW factoid here, many people should be quite familiar with the shrine to the mountains in Animal Kingdom.

Everest%20Temple%203.jpg

Take a look at the shape of it, and you should notice that the mountains silhouettes it perfectly. No coincidence.

Also, the actual mount everest in the set of peaks here isnt the tallest. Its actually the one in the back, on the right hand side in the above picture. This is because the imagineers wanted to create a whole mountain range, not just the one mountain;

mount-everest-north-face09.jpg

S7300509.jpg

Notice the similar shapes and horizontal lines. This is all part of the imagineers technique of 'forced perceptive', making the mountains look separate, and putting everest in the back makes it look tall and far away.

Mark said:
Crazycoaster said:

TOT%209.jpg

TOT%202.jpg

In all of my time as a disney fanboy I didn't know that one! That is brilliant and a prime example of why I love Disney and the way they do things. I sat looking over that lake for about three hours whilst waiting for the fireworks and STILL didn't notice it. I'd be inclined to say that despite it being Moroccan themed it doesn't stick too far out from being at least 1930's Hollywood, because like nowadays there would have variations of styles and so on....

I did notice the low sign part though, just never thought too much of it!

Cheers for the fact on that though Crazycoaster, im actually impressed!

And it fits in so seamlessly with both! Its immense. Disney as it always is. Over the top, even anal, but bloody brilliant.

Crazycoaster, that was awesome. Seriously.

Did you know that The Great Movie Ride was actually first inspired by Imagineers to be a ride at EPCOT in between The Land and The Living Seas? But, the ride proved to have such potential, they actually decided to create an entire park based around the Disney Studios (and, at the time, in conjunction with MGM). This, however, caused the studios to have extremely little when it first opened. I found this entire statement quite shocking, as I presumed it was just to compete with Universal.

Also, did you know that the first Space Mountain (Walt Disney World) had George McGinni's (Imagineer) propose a vertical loop that could be seen via the queue line, being highlighted by a strobe light every other second. However, this was deemed too 'voilent' for a family themed audience. Bearing in mind that Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain (the world's 'first' vertical looping roller coaster) opened in 1976, and Space Mountain opened in January 1975, that would've made Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdom the world's first 'proper' looping roller coaster.

Excluding all the shabby ones tested with eggs and monkey's and things.

All the Disney facts are really interesting. And regarding Tower Of Terror, it just amazes me how much planning and detail goes into something like that, making it fit in with the skyline, they do take absolutely everything into consideration.

Something I found interesting, according to RCDB, Asia & Europe have exactly the same amount of coasters. Asia having 657 steel, 8 wood and Europe having 633 steel, 32 wood. Making each continent have a total of 665 coasters.

This one was brought up not too long ago, but I thought it would be worth it to write it here.

On the very top and a bit beyond of Millennium Force, there's a switch. A timed flipswitch that resets every 12 hours. If that switch isn't flipped, the ride won't ride. It's a lock, so to say, to prevent height-scared terrorists from hijacking the ride.

So every morning, the ride ops have to climb the lift of ol' Millie to flip the switch. As if going up isn't scary enough, you'll have to go down the drop a few feet as well (mind you, that's the steep side) so that the height-scared terrorists can't use the "don't look down" technique.

^I always thought that was to "force" a lift-walk... not to make sure terrorists don't take over the ride...

Especially since I don't know any terrorists that would go "Oh, I'm not going down those few feet of stairs, although I know the ride-ops do it daily".

Sorry I am pissing myself here, why would a terrorist want to take over a ride? They would just blow it up.

I am not saying you are wrong I just find it so funny.

"Hallo? Who is driving this train? I wish to commandeer the vehicle in the name of Allaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Weeeeeeeeeeeee!"

I think a bomb at the bottom of the ride would do more damage and be a little easier to get away with :)

^Nah... it's more a safety device. The lack of smileys in my post made it harder to under stand that it was intended as a joke. But it has to be done in order to run the coaster that day, and I'm sure there are people who enjoy climbing the 90 meters to the top, at least the first day.

Of course, it can also be a way of removing slacky ride-ops. If they are too drunk or too clumsy to not manage it to the top without falling down, they aren't suited for operating a coaster. :D