What's new

NL2 Contests Requests/News

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Alrighr, I just kind of want to touch base with everyone as we get ready for voting and the next round to begin. We have the next three contests lined up, and after talking to a few people today, there has been discussion about a colab contest.

It would actually fit in perfectly for what we have scheduled for this next round, and it could shake some things up. Personally the more I thought about working with different people, I got excited.

We would need an even number of contestants, and the hope is everyone would contribute. Now it wouldn't be required to colab, but the amount of work and quality level expectations would be much higher with two people working on it.

Thoughts?

Intricks

Strata Poster
It sounds interesting to say the least.

Would it be the two would work on a single coaster with one doing track/layout with the other doing support/scenery - or - Would it be they both make a coaster and do all the respective touch-ups as they go?

Plus, how would you chose the pairs? Random picks or would you let them chose?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So for the first try it would be dueling spinners. It's up to the partners to decide how they would want to do it. Theming would be a requirement though.

In terms of partners, ideally chose, but if people don't have someone, we can assign who is left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So just wanted to give everyone an update on how things are going in our think tank of next contests. We have had 6 contests to date, with Hixee and CoasterMac305 each winning 2. Dapalm and Antinossi winning the other two respectively.

Our next contest (which some of you will read as the current depending on when you read it) is a Wing coaster that will go the rest of the month. From there, our intention is to return to Curly Q park and do our first colab project, but we need your help if we do it, and input!

The plan for that round is the following:
-If you are interested, we will need you to state so in the designated topic. This step will lead up to the assigning of teams.
-The contest will run 3 weeks. The thought process is that will give plenty of time for each person to work respectively, and together, on their coaster.
-Each person will be responsible for building one half of their ride, but they can help edit/smooth/perfect the other side if need be. This is to prevent a team of two experienced people having a superior advantage over a newer team. We want the best entries possible.

Following that, we have one more planned for Curly Q which will happen after one or two away from it as we want to mix it up. That will finish our first park.

So really, throw out ideas on the colab, and contests you want to see in the future! Input is key and we could definitely use all of it!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
For those of you that care, I've been keeping a log of the scores to keep track of the overall standings.

I've printed the current status of the spreadsheet as a PDF so you can see how we are getting on.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/tptnazf5l ... _comps.pdf

The results are inputted in the upper table, and the lower table calculates a normalised score for each round. The winner gets 1.00, and then the remaining entrants have their fraction of 1.00 calculated according to their rank. If you don't enter a round, you get zero. These are then averaged to give your average normalised score.

Finally the right hand table just sorts the list. If two players have the same final score, then they're ordered alphabetically.

Hopefully this is of some interest to you. I'll share the actual spreadsheet at some point if any of you care enough!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I was planning on doing that actually, so you saved me a **** load of time so thank you!

Hixee <3

jay37415

Mega Poster
Here's an idea for a contest I have always wanted to see.

Using gravity group trains , build a compact family coaster that can't have over a 50' lift hill. Similar to "Wooden Warrior." For extra challenge, use an existing park and build the coaster intertwined with another like "twister".

tomahawk

Strata Poster
We did that a few rounds back with Curly Q park. Until we have a more consistent showing of 10 members or nore, the colab is dead. The next round is set and will finish our first park. We will have one more round, and that will end the year as I have quite a bit of travel set up around the holidays so we will go on a hiatus, reassessing the colab at the time.

I do like the small woodie idea though. Keep them coming!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The problem with 4d is it is extremely time consuming and may mean a low number of entries. I would love to do one, but the goal is at least 7 entries each round, and I'm not sure a 4d would get that.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Woah woah woah. Last contest for the YEAR?!?! Noooooo:( For the last one, it should be big. Lets go out with a bang!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Alright, we will do this one that will start Friday and then a big one for the final. This next one is gonna be quite a bit of fun.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Okay CoasterMac305, any ideas for the final round of the year?

Anyone for that matter! Something you want to try out? Something you think you're especially good at and want to try thrashing the rest of us? Let's hear some suggestions and Tom and I will figure something out.

If we don't receive and ideas, then it'll be just down to us two and we might make it a b***h of a round again! ;)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Why not a free-for-all, but in mountainous terrain? Or just build something on a mountain?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Hmmm... maybe a round where we have to create 2 separate dueling coasters? or a Twisted Colossus style racing (Maybe RMC) coaster? Don't really have any ideas at the moment, but if i think of any I'll let you know.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Why not a free-for-all, but in mountainous terrain? Or just build something on a mountain?

The problem with this is you end up comparing apples to oranges. How do you compare a mine train to a flyer and rate them fairly? You really cant.

I like the two coaster idea, but I wouldn't say they would necessarily need to race, but interact.

Keep the ideas coming! This next comp will run into the middle of November, so this is will be a longer contest (that's the current plan in my head at least) which means I'm leaning towards something larger, but not necessarily more difficult. Expansive.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
How about a recreation contest? You can have a list of coasters you can remake, and everyone tries to recreate one.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
How about a contest where we download a small-ish park with scenery and stuff, but with no coasters in it. And it would be our job to fill the park with a list of 5 or so specific coasters. Just a random idea.