What's new

New (temporary, hired) flat rides for Alton Towers

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Another bit of news I've seen floating around is Alton Towers potentially bringing in some travelling flat rides to boost their offering. Heide Park brought in a travelling ghost train last season so it isn't completely unreasonable. Perhaps this is to compensate for the period when indoor rides cannot open? My other thoughts are helping to spread people out, increasing capacity or having something else new to market.

Sounds interesting anyway. Throwback to the old days and all. Not sure exactly what the source of the rumour is but I am not opposed to the idea.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Another bit of news I've seen floating around is Alton Towers potentially bringing in some travelling flat rides to boost their offering. Heide Park brought in a travelling ghost train last season so it isn't completely unreasonable. Perhaps this is to compensate for the period when indoor rides cannot open? My other thoughts are helping to spread people out, increasing capacity or having something else new to market.

Sounds interesting anyway. Throwback to the old days and all. Not sure exactly what the source of the rumour is but I am not opposed to the idea.
Well not what I had in mind but at least it would solve their flat ride drought...

...Bring on the KMG Afterburner!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Had a look around for more clues to the source of this rumour and found this which has just gone up.

General consensus is a twister, waltzer, dodgems, something that hops (sounds like a jump and smile kind of thing which are popular at fairs) and maybe some other things.

Found a photo.

I find this quite interesting. Nice to see a ride in this spot again (this is Ripsaw's old plot). If this works well perhaps we'll see more permanent flats.

Last edited:

bladeboy

Roller Poster
TowersTimes have tweeted rumours that Alton Towers are adding fairground attractions like Twist, Waltzers and Dodgems.
There are no words ...

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
TowersTimes have tweeted rumours that Alton Towers are adding fairground attractions like Twist, Waltzers and Dodgems.
There are no words ...
Easy way to increase capacity, cheap (relatively) and will give the GP something to do. Happily bet no Dodgem's tho. There are 1/2 more ride's aswell I believe

Will

Strata Poster
The other thread suggested a few temporary travelling thrill rides, which I don't see being a bad thing or problem (so long as they're ones I like!)

I'd doubt dodgems though - they have major capacity issues and I feel like they wouldn't work with social distancing.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
There are no words ...

I'm actually ok with that. Lord knows, the park definitely needs some more flat rides and I don't care what anybody says - dodgems are fun!
As long as they don't start trying to market them as some stupid world's first and are just honest about them, like, 'here are some traditional, nostalgic rides to help fill out your day' then I'm cool.
I wonder, would they be dotted around the park, filling up the vacant plots left by retired rides, or all grouped together as a 'fairground within a theme park?'
And will they be an up charge? Knowing Merlin... probably.

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm actually ok with that. Lord knows, the park definitely needs some more flat rides and I don't care what anybody says - dodgems are fun!
As long as they don't start trying to market them as some stupid world's first and are just honest about them, like, 'here are some traditional, nostalgic rides to help fill out your day' then I'm cool.
I wonder, would they be dotted around the park, filling up the vacant plots left by retired rides, or all grouped together as a 'fairground within a theme park?'
And will they be an up charge? Knowing Merlin... probably.
I’m not sure if the park is even going to market them. I think they’re more intended as supplementary attractions as opposed to things pulling people in; Gangsta Granny/David Walliams will fulfill that role just fine for 2021!

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
I'd rather go to a professional funfair to enjoy such rides considering how Towers operates Enterprise. Jokers.

Had a look around for more clues to the source of this rumour and found this which has just gone up.

General consensus is a twister, waltzer, dodgems, something that hops (sounds like a jump and smile kind of thing which are popular at fairs) and maybe some other things.

Found a photo.

I find this quite interesting. Nice to see a ride in this spot again (this is Ripsaw's old plot). If this works well perhaps we'll see more permanent flats.
Looks crap but as you say there are advantages. Hopefully it'll mean some more flats in the park on a permanent basis and the could soak up some crowds so I can spend time on the coasters!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
This development is definitely going to divide opinion based on whether you like fair rides or not. I know a chunk of theme park enthusiasts find them tacky and don't go to fairs so they're bound to hate this.

Of course in general we've moved on from big theme parks plonking fair rides around but then many flats like enterprises and waveswingers have transportable counterparts so many theme park rides are cousins of these rides anyway. A lot of modern fair rides have much better light packages too. Obviously it's not a long term solution and this year is not a normal one so why not have an abnormal solution? I think it's a really interesting move. I am quite impressed that the park is even spending on anything else this year and some new ride experiences might be quite fun. If this is a short term thing it will be something to experience and say you were there for and obviously there are the aforementioned crowd control benefits. I wonder how long they'll stay for.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Is there no chance they could maybe remove some of the signage and theme these a little? I sort of feel like maybe some new flats were always planned for 2021, but with covid meaning that Gangsta Granny was delayed, they had to come up with some quickly?