What's new

New Owners for Barry Island Pleasure Park

Lofty

CF Legend
What a hole. Good Riddence!

Bit of insider info: They was going to "Do the whole park over", back in 2010 as part of "Duncan Bannatyne's Seaside Rescue", but it never went ahead. I know this because the company I work for were going to do the makeover, instead we went to Newquay and created Buccannear Bay. Ha!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Right, in a surprising twist, this place is reopening this Easter, with 10 new rides, supposedly worth £2m.

And the new guy in charge has said that he'll invest £20m in 3 years.

http://riderater.co.uk/in-brief/

Now that is a lot of money to invest in a small grotty seaside funfair, so we'll see how this pans out.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ So has Miller taken over Barry Island? If so, this is worth watching.

marc

CF Legend
^No he has not sorry to say.

But when it was announced AI was going to get investment people thought he was mad to invest into the dump that was there. I just used AI as an example.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ah right, cheers Marc. In which case, that little sprinkle of excitement has gone.

However, £20m over three years is quite significant (and more than say Thorpe or CWOA's annual investment budget), so who knows?

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ I doubt there's much of them left given the state they were in 4 years ago.

And I think I remember reading about the Ghost train burning to the ground.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I remember that the guy who took over Southport Pleasureland wanted to invest similar amounts but the council turned him down. So instead he rented the land short term (two years I think it was) without paying the license for the ground or making any investment beyond the rent then having showmen come on.

That worked well for Southport council and the hotel complex due to open in 2008 didn't it?

Goes to show that even with minimum investment, there can be something good come out of these old parks. With luck, this will help turn around the area.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Looks like there's a Star Flyer there too.

I completely forgot about this, I'm surprised it actually happened tbh, but kudos to them, it looks ok and there's more rides to come by the sounds of things.