What's new

Need for Speed

D1993

Hyper Poster
Hi, i am a student in Australia doing my last year of schooling. In order to complete the HSC course (which is like equivalent of the SAT's) I have to complete a major research assessment on something that i am passionate/interested about.

Naturally i thought of roller coasters straight away, but wasnt entirely sure how to fashion an assessement around it!
Basically, my assessment topic is on the experiences that roller coasters produce and the areas around that, such as adrenaline rushes. Also i am looking at how a need for speed can cause people to participate in forums (i know myself i look at tons of videos every day

I have made a quick questionnaire and if you wouldnt mind it would be greatly greatly appreciated if you could take some time to complete it. They are completely anonymous and wont take too long. If you could just reply with the answers in your own post that would be greatly apprecaited and if you want you can send me a personal message.

thank you so much for your time!

1. Gender
2. Age
3. What was your first roller coaster experience?
4. At what age did you begin to love roller coasters?
5. How many times do you look/watch at roller coasters online per week?
6. For what reasons would you buy roller coaster merchandise?
7. How many times do you visit theme parks in a year? Why?
8. If you could briefly describe why you love roller coasters what would you say?
9. Do you find it hard to go long without riding a roller coaster?
10. Do you feel a need to duplicate the speed of roller coasters in your ordinary life?
11. Do you believe that the adrenaline produced whilst riding a roller coaster is addictive?
12. If yes, how do you satisfy this ‘’addiction’’
13. Do you dislike that the roller coaster experience is only quick?
14. Do you turn to chat forums to replicate the experience for a longer experience?
15. How often do you participate in roller coaster or theme park forums per week?
16. Do you turn to roller coaster videos to re-experience the feeling of adrenaline?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
1. Male

2. 19

3. I think it must have been Dragon at Legoland. I can't think of anything else I'd have ridden before.

4. I don't rightly know. I think some fascination started around the age of about 10, but I really started to get properly into it about the age of 12 or 13.

5. Where do you draw the line on this? I look at coaster videos/POVs probably around every other day, but I see pictures of coasters and stuff every day as I regularly browse these forums.

6. I'm not a huge one for park merchandise, although when I do buy some it's because it's a memento of the park/ride and I'm an enthusiast so I like having that sort of stuff.

7. I probably visit theme parks about once a month, maybe a bit less frequently. It's hard to say really as it changes so massively every year.

8. I find coasters fascinating really. The idea/concept of them (scaring/thrilling people) and the engineering of them really interests me, so that is one reason why I love them. I also find them very fun to ride (obviously!) and I love all the different sensations that you can experience without being a specially trained stunt-man or pilot etc. This is a tricky question to answer, I think I'm struggling to pin it down.

9. Yes and no. I don't mind waiting to ride coasters, but when it gets close to the trip I do feel a certain need to ride them. I also notice that after a stint of riding a few coasters in one go (ie. after the US-Live last summer or after a trip to Florida a few years back) I get, what can only be described as, withdrawal symptoms. It's not that bad though, it's just the come-down after the high.

10. Again, yes and no. I would generally say I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie all round. I get the sense of speed when biking, but I don't think that's me trying to replicate the coasters, just me pushing myself riding.

11. Of course it is. I regularly climb and mountain bike, and often try out other extreme sports and I'm pretty happy to try most things once. I love the feeling of the adrenaline, and the feeling of euphoria when you actually finish a massive decent biking. The same is true for coasters, when you get up from the train at the end it's feels good.

12. See above really. Like I said, I'll try my hand at most extreme sports and over the years I've got pretty comfortable riding a whole range of stuff (bikes, boards, scooters etc) and more confident climbing. It's another way for me to push my addiction.

13. No. That's what's great about it I think. Don't get me wrong, some rides can be too short, but most of the time the coaster is kept short and sweet.

14. Not really. I turn to forums to chat with like-minded people about my enthusiasm. It's not really an attempt to hold on to the sensation.

15. A lot. Firefox rarely gets closed on my computer(s), and there's always a CF tab that barely gets shut. I just hit refresh every now and again. So yeah, a lot.

16. Videos don't really get the adrenaline going for me. I like to watch videos to remember the emotions or to look up something new, but not to get the same buzz again.

Hope that helps, I've found it a bit tricky to write down what I'm thinking for a couple of these, but hopefully they make some sense. :)

A

Anonymous

1. Male
2. 28
3. Cirkus Expressen at Liseberg many years ago...
4. 20 ish...
5. much of the time.
6. I don't really buy any merchandise at all, and if I do then they must mean something special to me to buy anything
7. anywhere from a few to several, it all come down to what I'm doing that year
8. excitement, adrenalin and travel
9. I'm pretty used to it since parks around here are not opened as long as others
10. no, even though I like to go fast...
11. YES!!
13. do you mean speed or short??, if it's only speed then it could get pretty booting, but if it's short then it could still be good, it's more like how it uses it's attributes to give a great ride
14. not the same thing, a forum can give you great information/discussions/etc. about rides, no real experience to get my adrenalin flowing...
15. same as no 5...
16. in some cases yes, but most of the time coaster videos only show "so much" and you can't get the true feeling of a ride...

Ben

CF Legend
1. Male
2. 21
3. The Big Apple at Alton Towers
4. Around 11
5. Probably a couple of times a day
6. If it was tasteful, not too expensive and of something I really liked
7. It can vary greatly. Last year was only about 10 times, but 2009 was about 50, and this year will be about 30-40
8. Now it's more about getting to spend time with friends doing something we both love
9. Not hard, but, I will miss them
10. Not really, I don't really think coasters go THAT fast anyway generally
11. Yes, I think adrenaline in general is addictive
12. I do things that produce it - scare attractions, skiing, activities like that
13. Not really, I think if they were long you'd get bored. Although an actual coaster is only say, a minute, you are at a park ALL day. The individual coaster is only one part of the wider park experience, which, as it lasts a day, I would hardly call quick.
14. No, no I do not.
15. If I'm not busy, daily. It utterly depends. Like, today I'll be bored off my tits, so I'll probably be on here like, 50 times. But, when I have more of a life, I might not bother for a few days.
16. Sort of. Not specifically of the adrenaline, but, of the experience as a whole.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
1. Gender
Male

2. Age

I think Rattlesnake/snake in the grass at Pleasurewood Hills.

Around 11/12

Not many times if your referring to POV's, around 5-10 times.

If it looked good and was reasonably priced.

Around 5-7 times. Mainly because I don't get the time. When I go to Uni, It will rise quite a bit.

8. If you could briefly describe why you love roller coasters what would you say?
Basically the thrill of them. The G-forces, airtime and on some woodies the out-of-control
feeling is brilliant.
No

10. Do you feel a need to duplicate the speed of roller coasters in your ordinary life?
Not particulary.

11. Do you believe that the adrenaline produced whilst riding a roller coaster is addictive?
Not really, but I never used to like leaving a theme park.

On oblivion, Definatly yes. Other coasters, not particulary.

14. Do you turn to chat forums to replicate the experience for a longer experience?
Sometimes yes, but most of the time.

15. How often do you participate in roller coaster or theme park forums per week?
Most days.

16. Do you turn to roller coaster videos to re-experience the feeling of adrenaline?
No, I just watch them to know what coasters I haven't been on are like.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
1. Gender
Male
2. Age
Thirty Seven
Water Chute - Belle Vue Manchester
Five
Three
A desperate need.
Twenty to thirty times because it's my hobby.
Adrenaline rush, feeling of fun and an over-erring geekiness.
No
I used to.
Yes
Regular submersion into fearful and exciting situations.
Not really
No.
Every day?
No.

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
1. Male
2. 17
3. I think Mild Thing at Valleyfair!
4. 13
5. 3 or 4
6. If something really catches my eye as something I'd want. However that is rare these days.
7. Around 20
8. The fact that they're thrilling and fun
9. No
10. No
11. Yes
12. Go to the park a lot and keep riding! Offseason not much.
13. Not really.
14. No. Use it more for a community and friendship kind of thing.
15. Pretty much everyday in the summer. More of a lurker the rest of the year.
16. No

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
1. Male
2. 22
3. Jr. Gemini at Cedar Point at age 5, shortly followed by WildCat at Cedar Point at age 6. I was terrified.
4. Age 12, when a family member took me on the Cedar Creek Mine Ride at Cedar Point.
5. umm, 10?
6. Nostalgia/Memory. I own very little theme park merchandise.
7. 15+ I live next to Kings Island and my original home is close to Cedar Point. I go to spend time with friends.
8. Roller coasters bring people together to an enjoyable experience. I cannot remember a time when I was not happy while riding a roller coaster.
9. Not if I am busy with other things.
10. Not necessarily.
11. Absolutely, why else would people ride them?
12. Ride more roller coasters! Or crystal meth.
13. No.
14. I'd say so. We are all on CF initially because of our enjoyment of roller coasters and amusement parks.
15. 6 days a week.
16. I watch them for enjoyment.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
1. Gender
Female

2. Age

Can't remember, probably something kiddie at Margate. The first coaster I really remember was Vampire, probably about the age of 8 or so.

I distinctly remember my first trip to Blackpool aged 11 that blew me away. After that, I was always the one dragging other people along, but I never started being a proper enthusiast until I found like-minded people last year, when I started visiting parks a whole lot more. It filled a huge gap in my life :D

At least once a day, mainly due to this forum

I don't really buy merchandise, and would never buy branded clothing as I think it looks a bit lame. I have a couple of things from my favorite coasters, such as a bag from Troy. I very rarely buy park-branded items (unless it's cute, fluffy and dragon-shaped!)

Probably about once every two weeks on average, mainly to try new coaster experiences and to see what's changing at my local parks, but also because spending time with your friends at theme parks is always fun (because there's lots to do, and because of the physical effects of the adrenaline I suppose, I always come home feeling tired but content).

I think it's the range of movements that you just can't experience anywhere else: floating, swooping, flying, falling. On a new coaster I might experience fear, but very rarely these days, it's mainly just the excitement and adrenaline that I love. My favorite thing coaster-wise is airtime - that feeling you get, mainly on woodies where you crest a hill and your body falls, but your stomach doesn't! As well as coasters, I love being held upside down for a long time, because the feeling of blood rushing to my head always gives my the giggles

I miss it if I don't go for a while, but I wouldn't say it's a physical withdrawal!

It's kinda the reverse. I think I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie in other parts of my life as well - I like to drive fast, hike to the top of every mountain, or go diving under the sea. I guess most coaster enthusiasts are like that, where coasters just fill a part of that thrill seeking on a daily basis.

Yes, up to a point. It's definitely a feeling you remember and crave again, but it's not like a drug. You don't go cold turkey after a month of not riding!

By riding more coasters lol!

Depends on the ride. Usually the longer the better, but what's the point of say a 10 minute kiddie ride. Stealth is over in a second, but gives you a huge adrenaline kick in that time. Personally, my favorite rides are long with intensity all the way through, such as Nemesis or woodies like Troy. It's quality over quantity

No. How can talking about it recreate the feeling? I use forums because I like talking to people who enjoy the same thing, as you would with any hobby.

At least once a day

No, again it can't replicate the feeling. I watch them to see new tracks, or to help visualise a coaster I've been on so that I can talk about its elements on the forum.

Hope this helps, Sue :--D

Xpress

Strata Poster
D1993 said:
1. Gender
2. Age

1. Man.

2. Old.

3. A long time ago, in a park far far away... There was a old wooden POS. In plain english, I haven't a clue.

4. 7

5. Daily.

6. For the satisfaction of self pleasure.

7. 2. Because.

8. Someone has to love them, might as well be me.

9. No and yes.

10. No because that would be considered reckless driving and is punishable by the dreaded... Traffic school :shock:

11. What adrenaline? I've never experienced this...

12. Watching free internet prons.

13. Everything nowadays is quick. You get used to it.

14. No?

15. Daily. CF whore.

16. Negatory Ghostrider.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
D1993 said:
1. Gender
2. Age
5. How many times do you look/watch at roller coasters online penr week?

1. Male
2. 21
3. Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens
4. About 10 or 11
5. Some weeks not at all, some weeks a lot.
6. If I liked the merchandise, I'd buy it.
7. Less than 10 most years. I just don't have the money to travel to theme parks that often.
8. Because the speeds and forces they create are very exciting to me, and can't really be replicated or best except by flying something like a fighter jet, which I won't ever do.
9. As in the length of the offseason? Not really, but I do look forward to being able to go to parks again.
10. Not that I'm aware of.
11. Maybe, but the adrenaline highs are pretty common to most people who wouldn't consider themselves coaster addicts.. I think a lot of people love the feeling of riding roller coasters as much as "enthusiasts" do, but they don't necessarily have the inclination to educate themselves about the details of the rides or travel to try a bunch of different ones.
12. By riding coasters, I guess
13. Not really, since there's nothing that can be doneabout it. Besides, I'm not sure how I'd like being forced around for more than, say, 5 minutes at a time.
14. No, I go to forums to participate in discussions and find out information about coasters.
15. Depends. I've gone on long CF droughts before, but I currently visit the site pretty much daily.
16. I wouldn't say so, since I don't get an adrenaline rush from watching videos. I mostly like them because I'm curious about layouts I haven't yet ridden.