What's new

Most outlandish rumor you've heard?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
There have been numerous rumors that have sprung up that nobody believes, but which one tops the cake? What rumor is so crazy even a foreign GP member knows it's false?

For me, it's RMC American Eagle. It's an out and back layout, is very low to the ground during the hills, and only has 2 parts of the coaster that can be massively changed- the lift and the giant helix. Even then, the helix might be too large to convert. I could see the reasoning of this rumor in say 2013, but now that we have Goliath, just no. Yep, people still think RMC Eagle will happen.

There was also a 'rumor' that instead of JL, we'd get Poltergeist from SFFT, but it was more of a joke that newer members on SFGAmWorld took too seriously.

Anyway, discuss.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Do the "rumours" posted by ATI count? RMC for Flamingoland and all that?

I guess that new 66-rides-on-opening-day park in Mississippi sort of takes the cake. If not for another, similar rumour I remember from years back, called "Adventure Park" if I'm not mistaken. That one was supposed to have a bunch of coasters on opening day too, some of which were several kilometres long and should last for ten minutes "because the public would like a ten-minute ride better than a one-minute ride". I think the park had a website and everything, but it was very obviously something a thirteen-year-old had dreamt up in RCT.

EDIT: Tried googling around for it, but I can't find any non-generic search terms for it, so it's hard to find. I suspect the "rumour" dropped in 2007-2008, but the forums here are only archived back to March '09.

Also, the rumours of "The Bigger One" in BPB have been strangely persistent. Some even insisted on a bigger Kingda Ka, launched out over water. Guess that ranks pretty highly in terms of outlandishness.

Olaf

Mega Poster
Efteling buying Olympia Looping... yep that's something people believed

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
Back in the mid-2000s some people thought Blackpool was going to get a 400 foot 4D coaster that launched toward the ocean and doubled back on top of itself. While I think that ride could be viable Blackpool probably didn't have nearly enough money to buy something that huge.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Actually heard two regarding the very park I was at yesterday.

The first was that vile Coaster Studios kid running his mouth saying that Kentucky Kingdom was getting a B&M hyper, never mind that it wouldn't be legal with the park's height restriction and Lightning Run is pretty much the closest they can get to a speed coaster under the mark.

The other came from an enthusiast who heard from the maintenance guy that the park is building a B&M dive machine that'll go under the road splitting the park. There's no way there's room for that in that section of the park and even if there was, KK couldn't do that without blocking off a road that services the major convention center nearby.

ignace

Mega Poster
Olaf said:
Efteling buying Olympia Looping... yep that's something people believed

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Efteling was interested in doing just this back in the days.

A fresh one from today: Bellewaerde building an Alpine coaster. The park has zero terrain change.

VTCGA5

Roller Poster
GuyWithAStick wrote:

> For me, it's RMC American Eagle. It's an out and back layout, is very low to the
> ground during the hills, and only has 2 parts of the coaster that can be massively
> changed- the lift and the giant helix. Even then, the helix might be too large to
> convert. I could see the reasoning of this rumor in say 2013, but now that we have

It wasn't a rumor though, it was going to happen until RMC decided a ground-up Wooden coaster in Wolfie's spot would be a better fit. :p

Iron Eagle would undoubtedly have had one of the coolest color schemes ever (Most likely would've had one side dark blue and one side red)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^Yes, I know RMC was looking at Eagle, but I'm talking about the fact that some people think it'll still happen(and I'm fairly certain you already know who).

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Ashstrodamus

Mega Poster
That the brakes failed on King Kobra at Kings Dominion way back in the day and flew off the track. I don't think that ride could make it to the top of the 137 feet. Maybe it did have brakes, hell, I don't know. I know that rumor was false though. I do, however, remember the jumper from the Eiffel Tower, and that was true.

Dave

CF Legend
When Chris Brown told me the story/rumour that Stealth was bought for Alton Towers and was going to be built in a giant hole. Told to him by a staff member at Thorpe Park.