What's new

More Utter Bollocks From Thorpe Park

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ok, so it looks like they're using the B&M fat seats on Nemesis Inferno as a "new" selling point.

THORPE PARK has increased the size of its rollercoaster seats to cater for the larger customer.

The Surrey theme park's Nemesis Inferno attraction now has specially-designed super-size seats after so many people had to be turned away from the ride because they were too overweight to fit on it.

"The reality is that we are super-sizing - and that's a fact we're embracing," said Mike Vallis, Divisional Director at Thorpe Park.

"Why shouldn't people be comfortable when they are enjoying a day out with their friends or family?"

Visitors with a chest size of over 51 inches are asked, via a sign, to queue for the new jumbo seats, which feature two buckle straps instead of the usual one.

Thorpe Park plans to introduce super-size seats on its other rides in the coming months.

http://www.londonnet.co.uk/news/2011/sep/thorpe-park-builds-rolly-polly-coaster-overweight.html

I'm no expert on Thorpe, but I'm fairly certain they haven't "added" new seats to Inferno at all?

Hahaha. Hilarious, I love it!

I know they did have one or two of the 'Jumbo' seats already. I don't think they have had anymore added though.

You gotta hand it to their Marketing team, They can put a marketing spin on absolutely anything. Good on 'em I say!

It's not good at all. It's completely unprofessional, and downright lying. If it was a genuine attempt to accommodate more disabled guests, then "The reality is that we are super-sizing" would not be an appropriate comment. This kind of BS makes British enthusiasts the laughing stock of the world, all other enthusiasts know that our parks will always stoop the lowest and seem to have no shame.

STC said:
It's not good at all. It's completely unprofessional, and downright lying. If it was a genuine attempt to accommodate more disabled guests, then "The reality is that we are super-sizing" would not be an appropriate comment. This kind of BS makes British enthusiasts the laughing stock of the world, all other enthusiasts know that our parks will always stoop the lowest and seem to have no shame.

Laughing stock of the world? Really? That seems a tad extreme.

Perhaps I have gotten so used to these marketing/PR stunts that I just have a giggle at them the way I suspect they are intended.

I really don't understand why everyone gets so tense about it all.

I could imagine that if someone died on a thorpe rollercoaster, the next week they would have a "Can YOU survive?" marketing campaign.

To be honest, I know I complain at PR Stunts, but they are pretty bad, at least, most of the time, these ones are. BUT, to be fair, good on them for actually getting away with it because in this day and age, it's actually quite hard to get free PR in papers, even local ones. Unless they're paying for it, which does happen a lot. It'd be interesting to see if they actually get it for free or not?

I do see the point though.

Overweight people...come to Thorpe park because we have specially designed seats for you which will publicly humiliate you and make you look like a prat because you will have to queue in a special queue line!!!!!!!!

I can't see overweight guests coming just to ride one ride though...

These seats were there when I went in August so these definatly aren't new.

The Marketing stunts have just gone bad to worse since I joined the enthusiast community. First the arms up to stop body odour was ok, the mouthwash stations was bad but I could see the point in themn and now this.

To be honest, its got nothing to do with fat people...its just any excuse for Thorpe Park to get into a newspaper or website and say "Hello public! Remember us? We have rollercoasters!"

Actually, it seems more like they are 'Americanizing' themselves. Big Boy Seats are common place stateside. Tbh, I think every B&M (that has an OTSR system) has one in the middle of the train, usually located on the left side.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Yet again, people are missing the point:

Inferno has always had the fat seat!

It's another grab at publicity, only this time it's for something they've always actually had rather than anything new.

Yet again this country is catering for larger people by building bigger seats.

I may be going slightly off-topic here, but stunts like this don't encourage obese people to lose weight. This just goes to show how low Thorpe Park will go to attract a potential customer.

FaceYourNemesis said:
Yet again this country is catering for larger people by building bigger seats.

I may be going slightly off-topic here, but stunts like this don't encourage obese people to lose weight. This just goes to show how low Thorpe Park will go to attract a potential customer.

headdesk.jpg

I dunno why they bother really... These are stupid ways of getting some really cheap attention to the park... And I've had enough with them because Thorpe's are really ****... Worse than Towers' under Morwenna...

Just say, we have a ride, it's scary, come ride it... Simple...

Nemesis Inferno said:
I dunno why they bother really... These are stupid ways of getting some really cheap attention to the park... And I've had enough with them because Thorpe's are really ****... Worse than Towers' under Morwenna...

Just say, we have a ride, it's scary, come ride it... Simple...

Exactly! It's a shame that TP go along this route. They have some top class rides and flats, yet they let themselves down when they do things like this. Even the park map is trashy, ugh.