What's new

Mindbender at Galaxyland to be retired

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd thought this about Quimera and I think we're all surprised how well that turned out.
Haha, hence:
I don't think anyone really thought relocation was likely, did they? Can't really see that ever being much more than a pipe-dream. Stranger things have happened, I suppose...
:D

TilenB

Strata Poster
I'd thought this about Quimera and I think we're all surprised how well that turned out.
Same. That coaster derailed and killed people due to shoddy maintenance and being run in the way that it wasn't designed to, likely causing a lot more of wear and tear than it was supposed to, yet it got relocated. Obviously we don't have the faintest clue on what Mindbender's current condition is like, but on paper an indoor coaster that was likely a subject of strict safety checks due to its history should be in better condition than Quimera was?

It's really a question of whether the park deems it worth to carefully remove the ride piece by piece rather than tear it apart.

cookie

Giga Poster
Quimera was built to be plucked apart and moved around, though — Even at La Feria Chapultepec it stood on temporary foundations. Mindbender, as far as I can tell, looks to have a more permanent support structure, so it might be harder to sell to another park even if the track condition was better.

owenjohn

Roller Poster
That thing is built into the structure, right? Not sure if it'll be easy to pick up and move like similar Schwarzkopf loopers...
All it would need is a solid foundation, the supports are bolted to the concrete floor but are not part of the building structure!

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
If I had to throw my two cents in here…

My friends in Edmonton claim that the coaster was salvageable, but it would have taken the park a solid $10K to fix it. Unfortunately, they have chosen to dismantle it, a huge logistical challenge that will cost several times that amount, and be a major project on its own. And that’s not even mentioning how much a replacement would cost.

The WEM - and Triple Five as a whole right now - is not in a healthy enough position where they can spend a massive amount of money to design and build an adequate replacement for Mindbender. A lot of locals are doubting that it will even get a replacement, but I prefer to be a little more optimistic. Maybe one has been in the works for a long time, or maybe Galaxyland realized that this was the time to part ways with some luggage. They’ve been trying hard to change their image with this whole Hasbro rebrand, and perhaps ditching their signature attraction is the most effective way to do it. It’s not exactly a thrilling future, but it’s the one we’ve got.

On a more positive note, I did discover some slide pieces being manufactured for the Mall waterpark’s upcoming, upgraded Corkscrew tube slides, so perhaps that large new attraction goodwill could always spill over.

Attachments

• BBA409A4-2926-45FF-A2FA-45A69A179FEF.jpeg
    BBA409A4-2926-45FF-A2FA-45A69A179FEF.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 83BD3E9E-27F8-4C32-A723-DD0514E7F20F.jpeg
    83BD3E9E-27F8-4C32-A723-DD0514E7F20F.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2D0CBCA8-2428-42CC-AD98-582A85A38187.jpeg
    2D0CBCA8-2428-42CC-AD98-582A85A38187.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 37BFB84D-79EF-4C8B-A803-AFC2F0D5B8E2.jpeg
    37BFB84D-79EF-4C8B-A803-AFC2F0D5B8E2.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
My friends in Edmonton claim that the coaster was salvageable, but it would have taken the park a solid $10K to fix it.
$10k doesn't sound that bad, though. It's, what, 4-5 months of wages for one ride operator? Or like half the cost of a set of replacement wheels for one train? It sounds like a trivial share of the annual running cost for the coaster. Are you sure that number is correct?

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
$10k doesn't sound that bad, though. It's, what, 4-5 months of wages for one ride operator? Or like half the cost of a set of replacement wheels for one train? It sounds like a trivial share of the annual running cost for the coaster. Are you sure that number is correct?
Idk how true that number was, but I was adamantly told that they needed a "part" for it to physically operate and that would have come to $10K CAD. That reasoning has been consistent for the past year leading up to the announcement but if those hairline crack rumors are real then I didn't hear about it.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Whatever the source, that piece is far too small to be just a normal track piece. I get the terrible feeling that this one's getting melted down.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Whatever the source, that piece is far too small to be just a normal track piece. I get the terrible feeling that this one's getting melted down.
That piece of track was cut, not removed at the connection points. It's 100% getting scrapped, demolition is going to be a crazy logistics challenge.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
That piece of track was cut, not removed at the connection points. It's 100% getting scrapped, demolition is going to be a crazy logistics challenge.
Alright I believed this at first but now I want to ask - Where are the connection points relating to this segment of track? Lot of Reddit buzz about how that piece was removed at the connectors and a lack of blowtorch marks.

Zwaman

Roller Poster
It still looks like the track is removed carefully at the connection points to me. Also because of the way they are stored outside:

123.PNG

Source

You have to look really carefully because of the size of the image, but you can still see the connection points.

cookie

Giga Poster
I think the coaster is just getting plucked apart at the joints because there wasn't room to bring in the machinery they would've otherwise used to tear it down. This is definitely not getting resurrected.

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
Lol if there's anything that makes me feel confident in a ride being scrapped it's a dumpster that says "WE BUY SCRAP METAL". RIP Mindbender, I hope Dreier Looping opens this year in time for my trip to Indiana Beach (which is what I said about a year ago)