What's new

Millennium Force: A Lonely Giant?

Snoo

The Legend
Well.. it is in Japan.. and I bet most people who think of MF don't think of many coasters outside the United States.. on top of the fact not many have been on it.

Exactly.. Haha. If asked if there were any other Gigas in the world I probably would have said no, too, until I actually sat down and thought about it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Should we let this topc keep going with discussing the posibilities of more Giga Coasters coming up? I'd say, look at China. The parks there have money, but they don't have a Hyper yet with the exact same marketing appeal (as is true for many US parks: If they get a Giga, their old Hypers become obsolete). And planning permission seems to be no problem.
Other than that, I think Heide is a possibility, and perhaps BGT (Hey, they've been rumoured to get a B&M Hyper for years, and if they can fit a Hyper in there, they probably can shoehorn in something bigger as well).
I'm not sure on Japan, seeing as the parks there seem to have quite some draw, but we rarely see big coasters going there. They have a few Hypers already, but I think the market isn't full there yet.

^ I can see China or Europe getting one, for sure, but not so much Busch because they seem more like, affiliated with B&M rather than Intamin, and B&M don't go up to 300 feet as far as I'm aware.

I'd say China is the biggest possibility since their coaster industry is booming right now.

Snoo

The Legend
Europe? No.

Asia is the best bet.. since they honestly have seemingly unlimited resources, no restrictions, and several billion people to market to.

It is a true gold mine, something many industries, not just the amusement industry, is diving into.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Pokemaniac said:
Other than that, I think Heide is a possibility, and perhaps BGT (Hey, they've been rumoured to get a B&M Hyper for years, and if they can fit a Hyper in there, they probably can shoehorn in something bigger as well).

I like this idea... :wink:

But, does BGA really have enough land for something like that? I mean, I know they have the whole entire serengeti they can work with, but that would effect the animals and stuff.

GravityGroup

Roller Poster
The only park in the UK likely to get a 300ft+ coaster in the near future in the form of TTD type ride is blackpool but they don’t have the money.

Slash

Giga Poster
^ What are you on about. As if they will get one! They have enough coasters and have a very tall ride as it is. There is simply no need whatsoever for it and yes they don't have the money and from what i can see they don't have room.

So NO they will not get a giga. Out of all the parks THAT ONE is one of the least likely!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Right. Except they (Blackpool) are the only UK park that has openly discussed such a ride as something they'd like to do when the timing and budget is right.

I'd say that makes them a bit more likely than, oh let's just say Gulliver's Warrington or Coney Beach.
:p

GravityGroup

Roller Poster
Slash said:
^ What are you on about. As if they will get one! They have enough coasters and have a very tall ride as it is. There is simply no need whatsoever for it and yes they don't have the money and from what i can see they don't have room.

So NO they will not get a giga. Out of all the parks THAT ONE is one of the least likely!

well they have a hyper coaster but i was talking about a strata-coaster not a giga, in any case Blackpool are the most likely to have one simply because they have no height restrictions as far as I know. Every other park in the uk has terrible height restrictions even Thorpe cant build anything above 110ft for the next few years so who is more likely? Plus there have been rumour’s in the past that they would get a launch coaster if they ever had the money, I remember there was talk about the “bigger one” a while back but obviously at the moment they don’t have the £££.

jokerman

Giga Poster
They still have restrictions, even if they are not written down in the same way as other parks. They have the restriction of residents who may not want a 400ft monstrosity near them.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
And the fact they are next to an airport. The CAA were not happy with PMBO being built, I doubt they would allow something twice as big to be built.

Look at PMBO, the top is covered in lights and censors so planes don't crash into it and can land safely.

And where could they build it, even if they had the room, Blackpool weather would probably destroy it anyway.

GravityGroup

Roller Poster
Yeah there would be problems building it there and I wasn’t really saying they would but its more likely than Alton Tower’s or Thorpe Park. I have always thought that the weather at Blackpool would play a problem in a tall launch coaster it would have a lot of downtime due to the coastal wind and rain it would be very expensive to maintain, but where else in the UK would even have a chance of getting something 300ft+ though?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
No where, unless somebody started a park well away from anywhere and in land no body wanted and the countryside wierdos didn't complain. But the country does not need one, it has a 215ft Hyper and a 205ft Mega in the style of a Strata so for tall coasters we are pretty well sorted.

^ Nowhere in the UK for that matter.. There are too many limitations and restrictions on what you can and can't build, that I'd say there's a higher chance of seeing a taller coaster being built in Guatamala than in the UK.

costar

Mega Poster
Blaze said:
And where could they build it, even if they had the room, Blackpool weather would probably destroy it anyway.

As rollermonkey pointed out, they have seriously considered a ride going out over the prom, up over the beach and back. They have even had design work done. At 97 years old, I would have thought you might remember that recent history. You can protect anything from corrosion if you're willing to spend. PMBO has some of the toughest corrosion protection around.

So if you think they would never consider it, you're wrong. If you think it might get built, you're probably wrong to. The idea sadly passed, along with a certain Mr. Thompson.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
PMBO has some of the toughest protection around, so hoe do you think they could protect something twice as tall? Also, the winds would be a serious threat to both the ride and riders. PBB don't have the money or space, they don't own the prom and there is no chance of being allowed to build on it or the beach.

They can consider it, but it could never happen.

To be honest I'm quite happy it won't.