What's new

Milestone Coasters in Your Count

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Social Media Team
I've been warming up to the idea of making my own spreadsheet, especially since I've seen @Hyde's and a lot of the data analysis he's ran in his. Unfortunately, doing so would require me to sit down for an enormous amount of time to enter all the data. I do know that Coaster Counter has an export list function, which will dump the ride name, park name, and location data into a spreadsheet, but it leaves out the ride stats. I've considered writing a script to search RCDB and pull this data, but I'd first need to ensure that each ride in my list on Coaster Counter matches letter by letter what is listed on RCDB...which is a process that just defeats the original purpose.

I do track my lists on both Coaster Counter and Coaster-Count. A few summers back, Coaster Counter went down for an extended period of time so I switched over. I now maintain both and treat Coaster-Count as the master.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
See, I've never quite got myself motivated (or excited) enough about doing the sort of number crunching that Hyde does. Not so much the statistics processing, I can get that, but all the data input just turns me off big time. A data pull from RCDB would be lovely, but I'd always grumble at the bits of missing data.

For what it's worth, I have set up a "Summary" page at the front of my spreadsheet, which almost entirely self-populates based on Coaster and Park input tabs. Have the data present itself neatly like this gets my Excel boner going big time. As of this morning, this is how it looks:

The grey (totals), green (milestones) and 'dark' blue (manufacturers) tables fully self-populate and update following data input. As do the tables. The 'light' blue (top 20s) and purple (misc stats) cells are a mix of manual and automatic, but I am looking to keep adding more automation to these. The maps are generated from a website (Link here), with the input for the site generated automatically and then copied in. I have looked to use Excel's inbuilt mapping, but haven't ever been pleased with the result given the time I've put in. A basic macro deals with refreshing and sorting the pivot tables after I've done all the inputs after a trip, but I've tried to do as much of it formula driven as I can as I always think it's a bit more robust.

For reference, the data is inputted like this - only takes a few moments after a trip, really. Country codes are the ISO-3166 alpha-3 codes, obviously. :p

Plot the whole thing (summary, coasters and parks pages) as a PDF, and happy days. :)

HeartlineCoaster

As of this morning, this is how it looks:
Bit of free error checking for you:
Your parks and coasters by Country seem to be swapped around. 312 parks in USA at 232.1%?
I would imagine newest coaster in records section needs updating.

Lovely stuff though, park milestones has given me something new to try.

Matt N

I love the fact that you have a specific DATE when your enthusiasm started. Not like, "sometime around 2013", or "after the summer 2013", but a specific date. Do you have a time too? :p

Good stuff though, you've done the right thing by setting a spreadsheet up early in your enthusiasm. Means you can add, modify and tweak it as your count grows, rather than facing the awful task of starting one from scratch when you're at like 300+ or something. Although as my first hour at "work" this morning proved, you'll never stop fiddling with it. :D
Thank you! The reason I have all of the creds listed as 28th/29th September 2013 as my first ride on them was because that visit to Alton involved my first roller coasters as an enthusiast! Although despite this, Alton Towers is the 3rd park I visited by my logic of "since I became an enthusiast" because I did visit Chessington and Legoland Windsor in August 2013, but I couldn't ride any creds as I had a broken arm. So that's kind of where I've started the spreadsheet from.
They all count, kid.
I personally won't be counting them because as I said above, I don't really remember my pre-enthusiast coaster experiences, and I personally feel that my coaster count is my way of comparing my coaster experiences with other enthusiasts and discussing rankings and milestones and whatnot. Besides, I would only gain 3 creds from Disneyland Paris, so I didn't really think it was worth including non-enthusiast experiences for 3 extra credits; not to mention it would also mess up my milestones!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Bit of free error checking for you:
Your parks and coasters by Country seem to be swapped around. 312 parks in USA at 232.1%?
Aye, good spot. I think that's a fallout of my re-jigging the formulas earlier. Managed to make the country counting more robust, but obviously didn't think to check the totals column!

I would imagine newest coaster in records section needs updating.
Oh yeah, how did I miss that?!

Nice, updated. Excel and PDF. Thanks.

Lovely stuff though, park milestones has given me something new to try.
Yeah, once you assign the parks (or coasters) their incremental, unique, identifier (in my case done in the empty cells in the inputs tabs), it becomes a simple vlookup (or index/match, 'cos it's more powerful). The wood and steel milestones work with array formulas, but the same lookup idea. If anyone cares...

Hutch

Ahhh, all these fancy spreadsheets are making me wanna update mine.

My Excel sheet is okay, don't really have anything more listed other than a favorites list and my whole list for creds and parks. I should probably sit down and dick around with color coding, stats, charts, and maps.

Also I've never used Coaster-Count... I started my list back when my coaster count was much smaller so it wasn't too hard to start and hasn't been hard to update. Maybe when I overhaul my Excel doc I'll check it out.

HeartlineCoaster

Yeah, once you assign the parks (or coasters) their incremental, unique, identifier (in my case done in the empty cells in the inputs tabs), it becomes a simple vlookup (or index/match, 'cos it's more powerful).
Sadly not yet managed to automate this one due to simply not knowing the incremental stuff in the earlier days and not wanting to half-arse it. Took on a lot of the other ideas though. :)

Anyway. Manual milestones:

#100 Battlestar Galactica Human - Universal Studios Singapore
#200 Troy - Toverland
#300 Ultra Twister Megaton - Greenland
#400 Gold Rush - Slagharen
#500 Shambhala - Portaventura
#600 Rocky Coaster - Suzuka Circuit
#700 HangTime - Knott's Berry Farm

I know a few of my milestones.
1-Top Cat's Taxi Jam at KI
100-Maverick
150-Carolina Cobra at Carowinds
200-Skyrush
250-White Lightning
I adore Skyrush, White Lightning and Maverick, Carolina Cobra is a solid boomerang and Top Cat is, well, a kiddie coaster.

Snoo

The Legend
Staff member
Social Media Team
1. Raptor - Cedar Point
100. Voyage - Holiday World
200. Batman The Ride - Six Flags Great America
300. Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom
350. Whistle Punk Chaser - Dollywood

Woo for that lovely milestone.. lol. 400 will hopefully.. maybe? Come in 2019. If not, 2020 definitely.

Chris Coasters

After about 4 years I am back on CF. I don't know how much I am going to be posting but here we go...first post back.

1. Roller Coaster - Enchanted Forest
50. Cyclone - Luna Park
100. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
200. New Texas Giant - Six Flags Over Texas
300. Expedition Everest - Walt Disney World Animal Kingdom

After a 2018 where I only got 1 new cred (Sea Viper - Palace Playland) I kicked off 2019 with a trip to Florida picking up number 300 at the happiest place on earth. I also went to Busch Gardens, Fun Spot America x2, Seaworld, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Legoland and Universal. It was an amazing trip and I am already planning a graduation trip to California.

Glad to be back!

Matt N

After about 4 years I am back on CF. I don't know how much I am going to be posting but here we go...first post back.

1. Roller Coaster - Enchanted Forest
50. Cyclone - Luna Park
100. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
200. New Texas Giant - Six Flags Over Texas
300. Expedition Everest - Walt Disney World Animal Kingdom

After a 2018 where I only got 1 new cred (Sea Viper - Palace Playland) I kicked off 2019 with a trip to Florida picking up number 300 at the happiest place on earth. I also went to Busch Gardens, Fun Spot America x2, Seaworld, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Legoland and Universal. It was an amazing trip and I am already planning a graduation trip to California.

Glad to be back!
Congratulations on 300 @Chris Coasters! Hopefully this is the start of a prosperous new journey for you!

On a side note, I love Florida, so I reckon it must have been a great way to start 2019! But I would be intrigued to know; what would you say your favourite coaster you rode on your trip was? I think I know what your favourite park was based on what you put in your profile!

Chris Coasters

Congratulations on 300 @Chris Coasters! Hopefully this is the start of a prosperous new journey for you!

On a side note, I love Florida, so I reckon it must have been a great way to start 2019! But I would be intrigued to know; what would you say your favourite coaster you rode on your trip was? I think I know what your favourite park was based on what you put in your profile!

It was a great way to start my year for sure. Right now AK is my favorite park because I just want to be back at Disney and it was the best day of the trip and I'm still hyped off of it. As far as my favorites of the trip go Cheetah Hunt, Mine Blower and Mako were probably my favorites but there was a bunch of solid coasters. Only missed out on SheiKra because it was down for maintenance :/

Matt N

It was a great way to start my year for sure. Right now AK is my favorite park because I just want to be back at Disney and it was the best day of the trip and I'm still hyped off of it. As far as my favorites of the trip go Cheetah Hunt, Mine Blower and Mako were probably my favorites but there was a bunch of solid coasters. Only missed out on SheiKra because it was down for maintenance :/
Great stuff! Thanks @Chris Coasters!

JJLehto

ECG at 1000!!! Wow.

Impressive spreadsheets, yall inspire me. Not sure if I can go that hardcore yet but I may get to doing what I always planned to which is rate my coasters, and come up with park averages. Ya know, a park that has 4 good coasters vs a park that has 10 but maybe 2 are very good and the rest are not good to solid...a semi definitive way to come up with how strong each park's lineup is for me.