What's new

Merlin to run Blackpool Tower after £40m deal!

Now they just need to get hold of the Pleasure Beach and throw some money at it :)

I have not been to the tower for years since I was a kid, if it get included in the Merlin Pass I will visit.

I had a pretty good day in the Tower, late 2006. It was good because it meant getting off the streets of Blackpool which were lined with vomiting alcoholics.

However, I heard a lot of bad things from the start of the 2007 season. Parts being closed down (the Dinosaur Ride and the Jungle Jim), poor repair on the Ballroom, reduced Circus shows, etc. Just generally the place became badly run.

So, it's superb that the council have forced the sale of one of their major tourist spots. Getting Merlin in to add a Northern version of their most famous attractions is excellent news. It will hopefully spruce up the attraction, get more people in and in turn, get competition moving to help improve the rest of Blackpool.

Please keep in mind though that Merlin only have a relatively small reach here, the Winter Gardens are still being run by a different company for instance, it's just that Blackpool council now own it.

I've done three shows in the Tower Circus - go me! And no, I'm not bloody Peter Kay! ;)

Martyn B said:
Do we really want all our parks run by the same company though?
I'm with this guy, I'm still quite shocked that Merlin were allowed to buy Tussauds, you've got to remember, if merlin buy all of the big theme parks in the country, they can charge as much as they want for entry and people will still go, because there won't be an alternative.

then again, I suppose theme parks get competition from other tourist destinations, rather than just other theme parks?

You should change the word 'run' in this thred's title to 'ruin'.

I am really happy Merlin are expanding their attractions, like orlando and now blackpool, its nice :)

bluecrime said:
You should change the word 'run' in this thred's title to 'ruin'.

Why?

Blackpool is a bit of a crap-hole atm... The Tower seems to be very iffy atm and it's just a tacky place to be...

Revitalising one of Britain's most well known monuments and adding a world-known tourist attraction can only improve matters slightly surely?

BIG BUMP

Merlin have applied for planning permission to build a Dungeons in the Tower, replacing the Aquarium and Jurassic attractions...

blackpooltd.jpg

Blackpool Gazette said:
BLACKPOOL'S new Dungeon visitor attraction will see three floors of the historic Tower remodelled as part of a massive transformation proposed by leisure giant Merlin.
The company, which was chosen in March to run the Grade I listed landmark on behalf of new owners Blackpool Council, has now formally submitted a full planning application.

The changes will also see the currently drab entrance to the Tower top lifts replaced with a 4-D cinema experience on level six.

As revealed in The Gazette last month, entry to The Tower will be free for the first time. The plans show ticket booths installed with clearer signage to each ride or show, while the Dungeon will have its own branded entrance from Bank Hey Street.

The Tower Lounge will become more focused on families, and disabled access to the whole complex will be improved with a ramp and screens at the Promenade entrance which will link in with the new Tower Festival Headland and Comedy Carpet.

Building work on the Dungeon is due to begin in November when Merlin takes over from Leisure Parcs, with the "horrible" history attraction due to open in September 2011.

The Aquarium and Jurassic Walk will make way for the Dungeon which will take up levels one, two and three but all the original Aquarium structure will be retained.

Visitors will be taken to level three via a new lift before passing through a sequence of themed rooms ending in the Drop Ride finale.

A planning brief, submitted as part of a 46-page document from Torquay-based architects Kay Elliott, says: "This immersion experience generally follows a story line created from site specific historical events.

Sounds like a start...

I KNEW they was going to put it there if they did do it. BUT, to me, that's a bit of a silly place to put it. It's on the side of the shops etc not the main front. If I was them I'd put it at the other end.

That space they are planning on taking over is pretty huge!

slappy mcguire said:
Either way, more potential northern merlin attractions is no bad thing. Now they just need to buy Flamingoland..

like this website says Flamingoland is a Family owned park and that family is doing is doing very well. also i like not part of a huge theme park chain.

Hello Thekingin64... Can you please use proper grammar in future, and also maybe try a little harder with the English?

Great news for the Blackpool area.

One would assume entry to at least part of the Tower will be on the annual pass. Which is NEVER a bad thing.

I think next time I make a trip up there I'll do one day at the park and then one doing all the stuff I never have time to do up there but want to. Wanna see the giant isopods...

I like! I bet the dungeon will be free for pass holders, can't see why not. Makes complete sense getting rid of the aquarium as well since there's a SeaLife down the street. Now they can do dungeon/tower/sealife tickets and whatnot.

I just hope the drop tower is better than the one in London. I love the ride, but those little animatronics are terrible. But they would fit well in Blackpool!

Well, something needs to be done to the tower. I went last year, and it was a HUGE amount of money for relatively bugger all. That said, it did have a certain charm. In a "so completely awful, its amazing" kind of way. I know attractions have to keep up with the times, but I think that the whole point of the tower was that it harked back to Blackpool's heyday. They need to be careful not to lose the history and traditions associated with the place. From what I see of the plans, I'm worried.

I can see why they're ditching the aquarium (what with it being Merlin, y'know, the Sealife people, and all that). Hope they can find a new home for those massive Amazonian fish (can't remember what they're called, but they're huge, flat, round and silver). I once saw a programme where some bonkers woman made Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall eat her pet one of those at a dinner party. I wonder if these'll also end up on his menu?

I'm actually quite sad to see the Dinosaur thing go. Especially the cinema. It was easily THE WORST attraction I have ever seen in my life. Therefore, it was also one of the funniest and most entertaining.

Hope they ditch the clown museum. I had nightmares for weeks after going in there. Sara'll tell you how much I enjoyed being in there :?

I am actually really concerned about what's going to happen to the ballroom. Although I don't give a **** myself, I do think its an important part of Blackpool's history and it is quite a special place. It's also ****ing hilarious to sit and watch all the biddies prancing about then having to stop every 30 seconds to get their breath back and/or have an argument. I presume it'll remain untouched. The press release also mentioned that entrance to the tower would be free, with people paying for entry to individual attrations. Does this mean entrance to the Ballroom will be free, or will they charge seperately?

Essentially, I'll be glad if they make entrance to the building free. I would actually be tempted to go back just to sit with a coffee and giggle at the grannies in the ballroom. I really couldn't care less about the Dungeon though. I'll never go in there, even if it is on the AP. If you have to pay to go up the tower, and its on the AP, I would use that if I was there anyway. I wouldn't make a special trip though. It's not even that high, and what do you get a view of? An awful town and sea. Lots of sea. Hardly worth the effort and there's no way in the world that would be worth me paying more for my AP.

Mixed feelings, then.

I'm so glad you mentioned the ballroom Nic. I was getting a bit vexed reading this thread where no one seems to remember the Tower's history. No budding Brucies in our midst?

I'm sure getting Merlin in there will be good to revamp Blackpool's image - God knows something has to be done, but they can't just go in and gut the place. The wurlitzer is iconic.

Blackpool is in need of as much help as it can get! I went in april on a stag do, and to be honest thats the problem with the place - only stag and hen do's seem to go now, Most pubs and bars are full of drunks by lunch time and the whole place is a dump!

The council ARE trying though, they are working on the sea front and have added a light show too, Blackpool needs to be turned back into a family sea side resort. I only go for the PB now - although I would like to see what Merlin do with the tower

Not sure if this has been said already but Merlin posted on fb yesterday that they are
'aiming for pass holders to be able to use their MAPs [at 'Blackpool Attractions'] in late summer 2011'.

More news:

You may be aware that Merlin Entertainments will soon be opening some new attractions and experiences in Blackpool. These attractions are expected to open late spring 2011, although they will not become part of the Merlin Annual Pass until late summer 2011. The attractions are:

Blackpool Tower
Blackpool Dungeon
Madame Tussauds Blackpool

Your Merlin Annual Pass currently provides entry to SEA LIFE Blackpool