What's new

Manta- B&M Flyer for SWO opening May 22

UC said:
Ok I'll just stop posting about it then since its all a big joke.

Nah. The only joke around here is that apparently one is allowed to swoon over "fanboy" reviews for rides like Diamondback days after they open, but reviews for rides like Manta are to be tossed aside as "fanboy ramblings."

*cough*Saw:theride*cough* :lol:

For those looking for more of the water splash feature...

It looks out of sync on that video. The splash looks so much better when it follows the train. Doesn't look right when it starts before the train goes near the water. I wonder which setting they'll keep.

I'm flying, but I am changing planes in Cincinnati...

I have actually diverted my route from here to Dollywood to pick someone up, so it isn't actually that crazy of a request to me.
:--D

bob_3_ said:
looks out of sync on that video. The splash looks so much better when it follows the train. Doesn't look right when it starts before the train goes near the water. I wonder which setting they'll keep.
The reason for the difference in syncing is the varying speeds of the train. The train will not sync up with the wing dip perfectly every time.

^ Now that does look good.

And the second half of the ride looks surprisingly pacey.

(oh and a geeky comment - the lift hill sounds gorgeous)

Hyde244 said:
bob_3_ said:
looks out of sync on that video. The splash looks so much better when it follows the train. Doesn't look right when it starts before the train goes near the water. I wonder which setting they'll keep.
The reason for the difference in syncing is the varying speeds of the train. The train will not sync up with the wing dip perfectly every time.
I rode in rows 1, 2, 6, and 8. I got water in the face at the wing dip and at the water fall
EVERY TIME ! :shock: When you are riding it, nothing is out of sync.

in so annoyed as i left florida to go back home a few days before it opened :(

UC said:
Ok I'll just stop posting about it then since its all a big joke.

Nah. The only joke around here is that apparently one is allowed to swoon over "fanboy" reviews for rides like Diamondback days after they open, but reviews for rides like Manta are to be tossed aside as "fanboy ramblings."

The fanboy reviews I don't like are normally from Cedar Point. Maverick is the best ride ever;
I kind of doubt that. They had to remove a piece, it breaks down a lot like most Intamins, many might say that it is too rough. I know that many of these same people were wrong about Magnum, Mantis, and Raptor. They are good rides but one is too rough, one was beat out by Chang, and the other was beat out by five other inverts.

I am a major fanboy of Busch parks. If you don't like that, don't read my reviews. Anyway, back to Manta. The ride is still a good one. Each "seat" is very comfortable. I waited twenty extra minutes on and off the coaster because of break downs, but that was ok. This is to be expected on a soft opening.

bob_3_ said:
Does anyone else agree that the "wing dip" is one of the most beautiful theming elements on a coaster ever?!

There's a few shots in there.

You might be right about that. I would like to hear more from Tatsu "experts". All the special elements on the second half of Manta may give it the edge over its brother in California. All the video shots of the wing dip and water fall are great.

Nick said:
And the second half of the ride looks surprisingly pacey.
(oh and a geeky comment - the lift hill sounds gorgeous)

While the pretzel loop gives you the most force, I want to live on the second half of the ride.
Which is better before the mid-course breaks or after? I might have to ride this a few more times
to find out. Hmmm, but will they let me go on it until I am 110 years old (LOL)? The lift hill is great
because it goes over a big path. There are always 50 people down there taking pictures. "Hi mom!"
(This thing looks a lot taller when you are riding on it up that hill).

The fanboy reviews I don't like are normally from Cedar Point. Maverick is the best ride ever;
I kind of doubt that. They had to remove a piece, it breaks down a lot like most Intamins, many might say that it is too rough. I know that many of these same people were wrong about Magnum, Mantis, and Raptor. They are good rides but one is too rough, one was beat out by Chang, and the other was beat out by five other inverts.

I agree with EVERYTHING but Maverick. That has been loved by far more then just fanboys.. a first since MF (which still boggles my mind.. :lol:).

And taking out a piece doesn't ruin the ride.. although it would have been that much better with it. :p

I do agree with both of you though.. path interaction is my favorite thing about rollercoasters. That is some of the reason I love TTD so much more then KK.

UC said:
^Excellent, I LOVE path interaction with rides.
The second half is really that good? It still strikes me as a tad short...and I'm aware you enjoy all the elements - but do they really make that much of a difference when you're actually riding, or are they just for visual benefit while you're observing the coaster?
It is a tad short because you are moving pretty fast, but I have never been splashed in the face twice on one coaster before. Have you? Also, you get REALLY close to that rock with the water fall !!

Dave said:
It must be one of the most beautiful rides in the world. Just stunning to look at.
All the Busch parks are great looking. That ride, in particular is wonderful. I walked in the garden around and underneath it for several weeks before it even had this soft opening.

Also, after everyone saying how short it would be after the MCBR, im surprised that it doesnt seem that short.

Actually, as a whole, i bet the whole experience will be really worth while... with the animal exhibits and other things.

UC said:
^Well, depending on the splash...that can be a good or a bad thing. Is this a "enjoyable because you get misted a tad" splash, or is this a "SheiKra's second drop under the water pool and get water bullets in the face" splash?

As for the proximity effects...very cool. I really look forward to that - and it's great to hear that the second half has decent pacing. I was quite worried about it, especially with that rather low looking MCBR.
The splash is more of a "large amount of mist" that still gets you by surprise even after the second try. The MCBR looks long but it is actually more of a light touch than a heavy jerk. It is well done and needed. We want to hit the water at a slower speed so we can see and feel it better. Even with this, we are still going about 30 or 40 mph. This seems faster than I would have thought by looking at the track. After watching 20 trains go by the rock wall, everything about that part looks perfect. cool)

For some reason, there is a change to my "top 20" every two years. This is quite strange. In '05 I put Superman-Ultimate Flight (SFOG) on. In '07 I put Batwing on and took Superman off. In '09 I just put Manta on and took Batwing off. I don't know what is going on in 2011, but I guess that I will be riding my favorite flyer then. :eek: