What's new

Major coasters you never knew existed?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Pretty much. I can't remember how it all happened now, and I guess the CF topics are long gone, so I'm not sure whether it had opened or not.

I remember getting a friend to call the park to ask about the manufacturer, confirming it as a B&M, so there weren't any pictures of it at the time, so maybe it was pre construction.

All a bit hazy now.
I remember this, and it's the only B&M I can remember being constructed while I was an enthusiast and it was fully up before we knew it was happening.

This exact thing may be about to happen again very soon although not a B&M but another western manafacturer. Following some leads on something at the moment but keep an eye out in the next few weeks.

Being someone who spends a lot of time researching obscure rides It doesn't happen to me often but I think the last time a big new ride went up and I was surprised by photos of it complete before I knew it was even a thing was the first Golden Horse Dive Machine at that Daxing place.

Niles

Giga Poster
Just found out that this exists, Jungle coaster at Selvatica in Cancun:

Looks a bit janky but pretty fun and quite scenic, in the video they also go on a zip line coaster called Tarzania…cred? Here is a POV for it and this looks crazy fun. Interestingly the newer coaster shares supports with the zip line in places.

Really fun that there are coasters out there like this that I never knew existed.

Last edited:

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
This exact thing may be about to happen again very soon although not a B&M but another western manafacturer. Following some leads on something at the moment but keep an eye out in the next few weeks.
I'm just a local in South Korea. I was pretty surprised to see all the Western members finding out a small local park, NOT a major Korean park, getting a B&M or Gerst.

So I decided to research the internet, or even bring my photos of the new coaster while visiting the park to be helpful as a local of a small Korean parks. I was surprised at that moment that I got a news of my local park getting western manufacturer from here even before the park officials made announcement. or be the first to ride a new coaster.
There's one more park to open after 2 months, maybe I'll try to be helpful on that.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
This, apparently.

I wasn't gonna out you - but definitely giggled.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Just found out that this exists, Jungle coaster at Selvatica in Cancun:

Looks a bit janky but pretty fun and quite scenic, in the video they also go on a zip line coaster called Tarzania…cred? Here is a POV for it and this looks crazy fun. Interestingly the newer coaster shares supports with the zip line in places.

Really fun that there are coasters out there like this that I never knew existed.

The same company runs another park called Ventura Fly & Ride Park (Along with Selva Mágica) which has another one of these called Plane Coaster.
Its currently SBNO for some reason (Possibly covid)
Certainly odd little rides. like the idea of it sharing with the zip line coaster though
Ventura2.jpgVentura1.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Nefeskesen. Apparently Istanbul has an LSM launch Intamin.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Just found out about Le Monstre at La Ronde. The park has always been on my radar but somehow never knew it has huge twin wooden coasters.

It looks like the sort of coaster that should be defunct and only seen in a black and white photographs. Surprised it's still operating.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Monstre is oddly fun too! I wouldn't say *good* but it's fun in a janky way (although it ran better with the Morgan trains, not these winged PTCs it has now)

Christian

Hyper Poster
Riddler's Revenge at SFMM. Knew it existed as a filler ride but never knew that it would be that big or that good. Always thought it would be small and bad. Similar to Iron Wolf. Was surprised just how huge this thing is. Well, it turned out to be my 3rd favourite ride at the park, tied with Tatsu.

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
It looks like the sort of coaster that should be defunct and only seen in a black and white photographs. Surprised it's still operating.

the twin/mobius-tracked wooden racing coaster is an interesting specimen.

they were quite popular back in the golden age, with about 3 dozen of them built in the pre-war era, primarily in north america, with only two surviving examples: Kennywood's Racer and BPB's Grand National.

then in 1972, KI's Racer kind of kicked off a little mini-resurgence of the style over the next decade+ with 6 more examples being built at parks across north america, La Ronde's Monstre being the last, and one of the largest, of that wave.

there was also another little mini-resurgence of them in the late '90s with another 4 built, but since 2000 only two have more been built globally: Joris en de Draak at Efteling in 2010 and Dauling Dragon in China in 2012.

and of the 13 post-Racer twin tracked wooden roller coasters in the world, 5 have already been lost (3 for RMC conversion and 2 others simply removed).

building one of them kinda seems like a somewhat bad investment to me. yeah, you end up with a pretty high capacity ride, and the whole racing/dueling aspect can add an extra element of fun to the experience when operated properly, but you essentially double the expensive man hours required to properly maintain wooden coaster track over the lifetime of the ride. I'm a little surprised that we didn't see more examples like CP's Gemini that went fairly far to sorta mimic the whole experience, but used lower-maintenance steel tubular track instead.

as for La Ronde's Monstre, it will be interesting to see what happens with it long term. I know I've heard (wishful) rumors over the years of possible RMC conversion ala Twisted Colossus or Iron Gwazi, but do they have the resources for that kind of serious investment?

Last edited: