What's new

'lympics

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't do patriotism, sporting events or giving a stuff about any of these things generally. However, I thought that the opening ceremony was actually really good. Was shocked to find myself watching and enjoying it and it's good to see national pride that goes beyond "they're our jobs those foreign buggers are stealing!"

So no comment on anything games related, but top job on the open ceremony.

nadroJ

CF Legend
The opening ceremony was a massive shock, but then when I think about it it shouldn't have been considering who directed it XD Giant **** terrifying Voldemort and other assorted literary villains were AMAZING and the whole thing blew me away.

To me the Olympics means busy times at work, more money to be made and I've met and served a lot of sexy athletes (hello Brazilian volleyball team ;]), so as far as it goes it's working out OK for me. I don't give a **** about the actual events though. Some of them are being held in my town (it's where the water centre is where they're doing canoeing and all that crap) so it's a bit more congested than usual, other than that I'm just trying to get on with it =]

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
I thought the opening ceremony was brilliant...in fact I felt proud to be British. The only let down was Paul McCartney being dragged out yet again. He's old and had it, just quietly go away!

Nic

Strata Poster
OMG, how exciting was the men's team gymnastics? We were sure we'd got a bronze, then the Japanese score came in and we'd actually got a sliver! The excitement, the emotion! Then the Japanese appealed, and dragged out the thrill even further. The result came in, and Japan's score was (deservedly) increased, jumping them into 2nd, meaning we did have a bronze after all. Phew!

It's a shame they were led to get their hopes up like that, but the GB boys still put in a great set of performances, have exceeded all expectations, and still deserve to be incredibly pleased with themselves.

Whoever thought gymnastics could be so exciting!

Ethan

Strata Poster

fKgDg.jpg

Ben

CF Legend
220px-Sam_Mikulak_on_parallel_bars.jpg

God I love this sport.

I'd forgotten how FAB the Olympics are, I always get really into them cause they're such fab sports. Fencing <3

And I LOVED the Opening. The Queen/Bond bit was amazing, the swing-dancing-terminally-ill children were amazing, GIANT INFLATABLE VOLDEMORT and terrorism through interpretive dance <3

So excited. So British <3

Ollie

CF Legend
**** went down in the fencing earlier. The Korean fencer refused to leave the piste for a whole HOUR AND A HALF while she kept refusing to accept the result and sat there crying her eyes out while all the heads of the fencing association spent ages talking and finalising the result.
In the end they threatened her with a black card, which she didn't want as she was still getting bronze.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
the swing-dancing-terminally-ill children were amazing

Terminally ill? I thought they were demon possessed, what with the whole exorcist music going on and stuff...

Ben

CF Legend
The horses getting SPITED by the stone henge section of the showjumping was my personal fave moment today <3

And the American/Chink gymnasts were incredible <3

Infernus

Hyper Poster
Glad to hear everyone liked the Opening Ceremony.. Was amazed to see how it all came together once I'd gotten home from the stadium..

Also was cool seeing myself on TV for a brief few seconds!

Also, the stadium was near enough full..

and the Closing of the ceremony was going to be a bit more spectacular but due to timing cuts a BMX and cyclist act was cut (BMX's with lights going round a series of ramps around the M25.. and a series of 'puppet' bikes on fire..) It was susposed to be a volunteer scene cut, but the director nearly walked because of it.. so it was a 'professional' act cut.

nadroJ

CF Legend
As for the sport itself, meh. But I am making at least £50 a shift in tips, I've met loads of athletes and all the people I've served have generally been in high spirits because of the games as opposed to the miserable **** I usually have to deal with, so it definitely has its upside.

Yesterday we had the dressage on at work. We have a wall with a load of TV screens on it, half were showing the dressage and half were showing the TGI Fridays generic TV stuff (it has weird things like underwater boxing, shots of Vegas, coasters, weird circus acts, etc) and at one point I looked up an there was a bucking horse in a rodeo. Seeing that among the other screens showing the dressage was absolutely hilarious but nobody else seemed to find it funny haha XD

Ollie

CF Legend
tumblr_m81ig1cPHD1qj3nnqo1_500.gif

tumblr_m81ig1cPHD1qj3nnqo2_500.gif

The **** is going on with the Olympics? lol

Also it's funny how most the controversies are with all the female athletes. Most recently in badminton where eight female players being charged with misconduct and banned from the Olympics as they were deliberately trying to lose points to secure a draw.

Still waiting for Canada to get a damn gold!

All I've really watched so far has been volleyball (which I find very uninteresting), a bit of swimming (which I also find boring), gymnastics, and diving. Gymnastics and diving have always been a favourite of mine, but I'm kind of sad I missed the kayaking; it looked pretty cool!

peep

CF Legend
Wtf is actually going on in that gif of the fencing? What's the story behind that?

I've been really enjoying the Olympics actually, it seems to have made London (well, where I work) fairly empty compared to most Summers so I'm trying to enjoy it before the madness after the games.

I enjoyed watching the clay pigeon shooting final, was really tense and exciting. Was fantastic to see the rowing and kayaking teams do really well too. Shame the female team in the Velodome were spited. Oh I also caught the Judo too, was a very close final and really proud we even came second.

But yay, we has some Gold medals now and we've really shifted up that medal table since yesterday...woop.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Norway's great hopes for the Olympics: Women's handball and Men's sculling (or whatever you call it). I guess you could have added some men's swimming events to the list, but our greatest swimmer died of a heart attack in May. We're not a great summer sport nation, so those few events were all we had high hopes for. We've done pretty well before, winning gold in sculling two Games in a row.

Then the handball team plays miserably, and we finish last in the sculling thingy final. Now well, about time to let somebody else win that.

Instead, some random dudes who've never got that much media attention suddenly get a bronze in cycling and silver in fencing. The media are baffled.