What's new

Loudon Castle to close for good

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Loudon Castle to close for good

Sadly it was announced yesterday that Loudon Castle "Scotland's Premier Theme Park" is to close for good.

Dutch owner Henk Bembom said the 600-acre park near Galston, Ayrshire, "was no longer economically viable".

Sad news indeed for our theme park loving friends North of the Border.

Source: The (Scottish) Sun

A

Anonymous

Shame really. I just only hope that Twist'n'Shout is going to be saved....

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
What a shame :( hopefully Twist 'n' Shout will be bought by a UK park. I think it would suit Lightwater Valley but I don't know if they've already bought that Vekoma one.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I'd never been to the park, but it's a real shame. It sucks that so many of the smaller parks are suffering at the moment, really not fair at all :(

Mark

Strata Poster
It is indeed very sad.

the park itself, although very light on attraction was a very nice place to visit last time I went. It almost had an Alton Towers feel to it, probably because of the also listed building that is on site. Ironically out of that and M&Ds I always thought Loudon would be the one to survive.

With the right investments Loudon had the potential to be a fantastic park with beautiful surroundings. Such a shame...

I would imagine that English Hertitage are involved with the castke building itself, so that will be saved and probably remain open to the public.

Potentially the park could still be bought by another company or something and return for the 2011 sesaon but I guess it is too early to say. Ya never know, even Merlin may look to invest... :roll:

T0M

Hyper Poster
I think another one may go before 2011. I hope I'm wrong but it has been bleak for small parks this year.

marc

CF Legend
Its a shame as I really liked the park.

I hope the coasters that they have find new homes and Twist and Shout would be a good addition to some parks.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Shame - seems the owner knew a good coaster when he saw one - hope twist n shout, and the zierer 4 man bob, and some of the other "in storage" rides can find good homes

MattLCV

Roller Poster
Yeah just heard this on the news, very sad to hear - especially after the park seemed to be going from strength to strength.

Apparently Henk Bembom is keeping the estate though and there is talk of this long-planned holiday village appearing on site... shame it couldn't have gone hand-in-hand with the park.

We'll just have to wait and see what the future holds for Loudoun but for now it looks like the end of the theme park. :(

Sorry to hear about so many job losses as well, the staff there always seemed very friendly and helpful.

RIP Loudoun.

Martyn B

CF Legend
My selfish side is going to show now.... I was going to go this year, but at the last minute my car broke, so we planned to go next year, but this will obviously put paid to that.

I really liked the look of the park, and I wanted to get back on the Schwartzy, and get the 4 Man Bob cred....(Which makes me think, this must have been a pretty recent decision, as they only built the 4 Man Bob before summer!)

I am gutted to hear ts closing, however, we've also had almost indenticle news on Camelot, and Pleasure Island, so there's hope yet.

Tom Green said:
I think another one may go before 2011. I hope I'm wrong but it has been bleak for small parks this year.

What parks are they then? :?

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Echoing everyone else so far, it's a shame it's closing, but this is the harsh reality of business.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Oh gutted, we were thinking of going here next year! That really sucks. It looks like it has some good quality stuff as well, could be a chance for smaller parks to catch something COUGH Pleasure Island COUGH. But they won't because they never do. Loudon actually seemed one of the good ones to take advantage of those opportunities. Real shame.

Just a matter of time now until Alton Towers offers everyone who had a ticket booked a free ticket for Alton.

T0M

Hyper Poster
I wouldn't rate Pleasure Island as high-risk. The new management seems clued up and they budget well. They have made investments this year and all rides operate.

I rate Fantasy Island as very high risk indeed. I have been three times this year and it is struggling immensely. Rides are closed when there is nothing wrong with them mechanically. The park have not invested in new rides for some time. The park has looked very quiet each time I've been. Certain rides are also opening later and closing earlier to keep running costs down.

I personally expect a major change to occur in the form of either (in order of likeliness) A) the park being sold/changing hands, B) a major ride leaving the park C) the park to close down.

Yes, it's been difficult for everyone these last couple of years but I can't see them getting through next season in this state so I would expect one of the above to occur this year or early next year.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
^Fantasy Island was heaving in August, and they have a history with rides being closed. Nothing out of the ordinary.

As for Pleasure Island, they can budget as well as they like, but the fact is people just aren't coming through the gates.

Even Melanie herself admitted that attendance was very poor as too many people think the park has already closed due to the ownership issues back in April. There's a stack of season passes in the office that haven't even been collected.

People have given up on the place.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Well I can't convince you Nath, but to me the evidence speaks for itself.

My prediction would be for Pleasure Island to be open in three years time under its current owners. I cannot make that prediction for Fantasy Island.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Tbh, seaside parks, en masse, have a flaky future. People just don't do seaside holidays as much these days with the ease of travel to the continent; inlan parks are simply much better at playing to the weekend staycationers.

Mark

Strata Poster
slappy mcguire said:
Tbh, seaside parks, en masse, have a flaky future. People just don't do seaside holidays as much these days with the ease of travel to the continent; inlan parks are simply much better at playing to the weekend staycationers.

Luckily, Adventure Island in Southend has not fallen foul of being part of this en masse. They have had another really strong year, possibly better than last :) It probably helps that Southend is such an easy day trip from anywhere in London and historically, that is exactly how its always been.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Mackem Lad said:
^Fantasy Island was heaving in August, and they have a history with rides being closed. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Exactly. That history stretches back to when the park first opened, 15 years ago!lol If anything, the rides are open a lot more often nowadays. Go back a few years and you'd have more change of your lottery numbers coming up than getting a ride on the Odyssey!

People just don't do seaside holidays as much these days

Since the recession kicked in, numbers were up at most small parks, and seaside towns. The biggest problem for Loudoun was most probably the weather.