What's new

Liseberg | Valkyria | B&M Dive Coaster

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Can they even fit another coaster in? I mean, unless they buy more land or demolish something, there really isn't much space left right...

vaugc002

Mega Poster
During the tour it was mentioned that they bought a lot of land for the hotel/waterpark expansion and they would have enough room for a mega/hyper coaster along with it.
Ohhhhh boy that's exciting! I hope so - that park deserves an expansion tbh

vaugc002

Mega Poster
While the layout isn't overly creative or remarkable, the way Liseberg have fitted it in, and the flow between elements, is superb.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I really like how 'small' the bits of land around the first drop and immelmann are. There's loads of greenery and paths and stuff. Looks really nice from up top, and I bet it's pretty cool lower down. Lots of good photo opportunities, I expect.

rOoSewa.png

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Actually I'd love to see the entire area that's been walled off at the moment to be replaced with more trees and general botanic, so it looks a bit like the initial concept art (though that would quite disturb the path flow .

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
See, I disagree. There's something about the islands of trees popping out that I really like.

Lofty

CF Legend
Seems that it will in fact open on the 10th. The park are holding an event to launch it on that day, according to the ECC email.

Matt N

CF Legend
This looks fantastic! I have real confidence in it, as I absolutely loved SheiKra when I rode it in August 2016!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It still kind of astounds me that they'd rip out a fully functional coaster that was only halfway into its service life for this. Don't get me wrong, Valkyria looks like an improvement on so many levels, it's just that the practice is so unheard of. It is very uncommon for a custom designed, running, popular coaster like Kanonen to be taken out that early in its life cycle and completely sold by the owners, because they consider the space better used for something else. Most parks build their coasters with the intention of letting them last for as long as possible, because the price has already been paid and their purpose is to give value back. They are usually kept standing for as long as they are profitable, and replacement only considered when it is practically the only option. When maintenance costs have risen and ridership sunk, that's when you consider scrapping a coaster. When it has gotten every last piece of profitability squeezed out of it, and running it costs more money than it gives back.

But Liseberg looked at Kanonen, determined it to have many good years left in it, and yet decided to remove it to redevelop the area. Only 11 years after it was built (okay, 12, since it served from the beginning of 2005 until the end of 2016), and without having a buyer ready (that we know of, it could be that somebody had made an agreement they pulled out of at the last minute). Since it costs money to dismantle the ride and to store it until a buyer can be found, the money made back from the sale can't possibly exceed the value left in the ride's lifespan (otherwise, who would buy it?). Liseberg essentially took a loss removing Kanonen, so that Valkyria could be built. That's practically unheard of, to me at least.

Right now, I can only think of one other example, in Big Bad Wolf at BGE. It too was popular when it was removed to make room for a new coaster, but at least it had served for 25 years by then. Its time had come and gone. The same could be said for Dragon Challenge, but it too had turned 18, operated year-round, and its duelling gimmick was put out of order. Other chains like Six Flags and Cedar Fair occasionally dismantle coasters and send them to other parks in the chain, but that means they keep the value of the ride internally in the company (minus dismantling/transport/rebuilding costs, of course). However, I can't think of any instances of parks removing relatively new coasters to make room like that without anything being seriously wrong with them. For comparison, Tatsu, Expedition Everest, El Toro and Stealth are all older now than Kanonen was at the time of its removal (the same will be true of Maverick in a few months), and I don't see any of them going any time soon. Can anybody else think of a park that got rid of one of their good rides while it was still not halfway through its life span, still popular, and still working just fine?

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
It still kind of astounds me that they'd rip out a fully functional coaster that was only halfway into its service life for this. Don't get me wrong, Valkyria looks like an improvement on so many levels, it's just that the practice is so unheard of. It is very uncommon for a custom designed, running, popular coaster like Kanonen to be taken out that early in its life cycle and completely sold by the owners, because they consider the space better used for something else. Most parks build their coasters with the intention of letting them last for as long as possible, because the price has already been paid and their purpose is to give value back. They are usually kept standing for as long as they are profitable, and replacement only considered when it is practically the only option. When maintenance costs have risen and ridership sunk, that's when you consider scrapping a coaster. When it has gotten every last piece of profitability squeezed out of it, and running it costs more money than it gives back.

But Liseberg looked at Kanonen, determined it to have many good years left in it, and yet decided to remove it to redevelop the area. Only 11 years after it was built (okay, 12, since it served from the beginning of 2005 until the end of 2016), and without having a buyer ready (that we know of, it could be that somebody had made an agreement they pulled out of at the last minute). Since it costs money to dismantle the ride and to store it until a buyer can be found, the money made back from the sale can't possibly exceed the value left in the ride's lifespan (otherwise, who would buy it?). Liseberg essentially took a loss removing Kanonen, so that Valkyria could be built. That's practically unheard of, to me at least.

Right now, I can only think of one other example, in Big Bad Wolf at BGE. It too was popular when it was removed to make room for a new coaster, but at least it had served for 25 years by then. Its time had come and gone. The same could be said for Dragon Challenge, but it too had turned 18, operated year-round, and its duelling gimmick was put out of order. Other chains like Six Flags and Cedar Fair occasionally dismantle coasters and send them to other parks in the chain, but that means they keep the value of the ride internally in the company (minus dismantling/transport/rebuilding costs, of course). However, I can't think of any instances of parks removing relatively new coasters to make room like that without anything being seriously wrong with them. For comparison, Tatsu, Expedition Everest, El Toro and Stealth are all older now than Kanonen was at the time of its removal (the same will be true of Maverick in a few months), and I don't see any of them going any time soon. Can anybody else think of a park that got rid of one of their good rides while it was still not halfway through its life span, still popular, and still working just fine?

Wild Mouse says hey. I’m sure they could have got a few more years out of that :(