What's new

Liseberg | Valkyria | B&M Dive Coaster

Mushy999

Roller Poster
The promo images do look amazing and if they pull it off anything close to that (which I'm sure they will) then it won't look out of place in the lineup. I am however disappointed that it's not the rumoured invert as I would've loved to have seen what they could've done with that. I'm not really a fan of dive coasters as they do seem a bit of a one trick pony nowadays but I suppose a dive coaster fills more of a gap in the ride lineup than an invert would.

On the subject of TusenFryd Norway does seem to be getting left behind by the other Scandinavian countries. I'd even say Finland are pulling ahead with installing Junker last year so Norway and especially TusenFryd really need to pull their finger out.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Is Kanonen the first/newest Intamin launch coaster to be removed?

Shame to see it go given what it achieves in thay space but a dive machine is a solid investment; it won't be amazing but it'll definitely improve the ride line up. And any excuse to go back is good by me.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Although I've never ridden it myself, I do feel it would be a shame if Kanonen didn't live on in another park - it looks like a decent ride for the small space.

Although I do understand it - despite having completely different layouts, to the average park visitor I guess Kanonen could be seen as too similar to Helix - both launched coasters with inversions.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Kanonen must have some residual value. It's small and compact, its type is still in production and it wouldn't cost a fortune to run or maintain. As good as Liseberg are at getting rid of their dead weight and we all love them for their great constant investment, they'd only do it if they thought it would be financially viable.

Valkryia does look like being a great ride and a really great choice for Liseberg, and hopefully it'll just have the OTSRs like the other recent European Dive Machines.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Regarding Kanonen I'm pretty sure it will find a new home (Spinrock already has), but it is quite remarkable, has such a "new" coaster ever been sold off again that quickly for the same reason?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^Stealth at CGA lasted like 3 or 4 seasons before being removed for waterpark expansion.

I hope Kanonen does find a home. It looked like such a nice little launched coaster!

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
This would be the first Intamin hydraulic launch coaster removal/relocation, right? Fascinating.

This will be some great stats for Valkyria - among the tallest of the sub-200 ft. dive machines out there.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Great to see Liseberg going from strength to strength here!
I'm not a particularly big fan of the larger (8 per row) dive machines, having ridden Sheikra and Blivvie, as they're a bit lumbering after the first drop and are paced poorly.
However, the layouts of the newer dive machines seem a bit more exciting, plus having a tunnel after the main drop is crucial to a successful DM, in regards to both forces and visuals. So, although an invert may have fitted better into Liseberg's line-up, this is also a fantastic addition!

If this is good, really good, then we might well be looking at all four major Liseberg coasters being 10/10s! Also, it's fantastic to see a park investing in a very solid flat ride line-up!

Also, how intense and rough is Kanonen? I'm thinking that, perhaps with new trains, it could be a perfect dark ride at its next home?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
It's not that intense or that rough really. It's just a bit...meh.

Talking of flats, don't forget they already have Upswingit, a lower intensity flat but perfectly placed over the edge of a huge drop on the hill. That's a park that really knows how to work with what they've got.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^I'm never riding Upswinget again, as an acrophobe it scared the crap out of me!

Do we know for definite that the Kanonen space is being used for the Dive-r, rather than Loke? It's not much of a footprint.

Not sad to see Kanonen get cannoned - easily the worst launch coaster I've ever ridden.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Slayed said:
^I'm never riding Upswinget again, as an acrophobe it scared the crap out of me!

Do we know for definite that the Kanonen space is being used for the Dive-r, rather than Loke? It's not much of a footprint.

Not sad to see Kanonen get cannoned - easily the worst launch coaster I've ever ridden.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Loke is going where Upswing is by the sounds of things and Kanonen is still going to be open next season so it can't be going there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Uppswinget isn't going anywhere.

Pink Panther said:
"Loke" will swing riders 135ft and will be located near Balder
loke-liseberg-artwork.jpg

Loke is going pretty much where Spinrock currently sits.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I feel like I need to come in here and groan and walk back out again?

Eh, anyone who witnessed me slander CP's dive machine last year will be able to guess exactly what I think of this.

But, what I will add is...

A lot of people argue that the idea of dive machines being outdated is regional specific. That they are only outdated at parks in which they exist. That's daft. The problem with the dive machine is that it is a gimmick machine and the gimmick at its disposal isn't a big deal anymore, anywhere.

Unless accompanied by a very intense thematic - not necessarily a story, but conceptual focus - on that drop, the drop isn't anything special. That's why Oblivion is so good, thats why Krake still kind of works. And without that special attention, without that focus on the drop, they literally don't do anything else. They have a huge sweeping immelman at their disposal, which are so floaty and uninteresting, at complete odds with the power and drama of the drop... So you end up, as is the case with Krake, with a good element (the drop) weakened by a crap one (...the rest of it). Griffon is the worst offender I've ridden. It's drop lacks any power what so ever. It isn't intense, it's just a floaty, baby-blue fart. And once it's done the drop immel combo, it does it again, this time smaller of course. No where has updated the experience since Sheikra - if anything, they just got worse. Sheikra is marginally better than Griffon because it has weird forces on the inversion B&M managed to remove with Griffon. B&M - always seeking the perfect, forceless experience.

I can't stay mad at Liseberg because here's a park with the BALLS to remove a major ride that isn't even that old. Ya know, even if Kanonen was well loved, that deserves appraisal. What other park takes such a risk, in spending money removing and replacing a major coaster? It shows how much money Liseberg must be making and how much they care about constantly improving the park.

Do I think a dive machine is completely the wrong choice? Yes, but a lot of it probably has to do with wanting some intimidating looking thing that doesn't take up that much room... And that's exactly what a dive machine is.

So, better than CP getting one, but it's still a dive machine, and thus still almost certainly going to be mediocre.

Ben

CF Legend
^Have you been on Oblivion TBH?

That's the reason I'm excited for this!

And B&M have really turned a corner lately and are pumping out some excellent rides so I'm not worried.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
You make a good point... And no, no Oblivion 2 for me yet.

I remain pessimistic but I'll be the first to say "**** me I was wrong" if it is good.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, Oblivion TBH is a much more enjoyable experience than the larger DM's in my opinion.

This is without doubt the correct decision for the park in terms of investments. Will it gain national press? Yes. Will it draw more people to the park? Yes. Will it be a great ride experience? Yes. Does it offer a guest experience that's completely different than anything else in the whole park? Without a doubt.

Yeah. They know what they're doing.